Matched Cell Problems.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Matched Cell Problems.

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2007, 07:59 AM
Tech Adept

Someone earlier made a comment about the Internal resistance of Sanyo cells being poor compared to IB4200's. I tried to find the post but couldnt be bothered going thru them all again.

Anyway, Here is the actual data taken directly from the manufatcures data sheets. And anyone can confirm this data by simply downloading the data sheets and looking for themselves.

IB4200 - Typical 5 milli Ohms.
RC3600HV - Approx 4 milli Ohms.
GP3700 - Average 3 milli Ohms.

That does explain why the Raw sanyo has a higher average voltage at 10 amps than do the Raw IB cells.

I cant test my GP3700's as all 6 cells are stuffed. I expect they would have the highest average voltage from all of them based on the Internal resistance.

Charles

Last edited by Mosc_007; 01-16-2007 at 08:14 AM.
Old 01-16-2007, 08:11 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by mick_waite
Please, whatever you do, please don't stop this thread. I'll need a laugh tomorrow too!Mick
I have to agree %100. It is amazing how much information people just believe without doing any testing or research for themselves. I am getting a good laugh as well.

It's also amazing how people jump to conclusions on what I am saying instead of actualy reading the words I am writing. I am NOT saying that Sanyo RC3600HV cells are better than IB4200 cells. It's just the one particular discharge current were they are better. I have no doubt the IB4200's perform better on the track. As long as they dont explode on you

Charles
Old 01-16-2007, 09:34 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Mosc_007
I am NOT saying that Sanyo RC3600HV cells are better than IB4200 cells. It's just the one particular discharge current were they are better. I have no doubt the IB4200's perform better on the track. As long as they dont explode on you

Charles
So then, what s the point of doing 30+ posts about it?

You are trying to say:
-over non-statistical data (unless you have tested hundreds of batteries, from both makers, with similar storage conditions and so on..)
-that somehow, over non-real-life conditions (10a discharge)
you have detected lower IR on the sanyos ??

but that on the track it s not so ?

Old 01-16-2007, 01:51 PM
Tech Addict

I had unmatched 3300's once i.e. Untouched cells, I then picked up some matched 3300's and they blew the unmatched cells out of the water and are still going strong 2 or more years after purchase.

what was the difference? the matched cells all has similar numbers on each cell in the pack and charges and discharged at similar rates so you get a consistant pack, the unmatched all has one or more cells that were not as good as the others and would dump at different intervals, this puts stress on the weaker cell/s and can cause damage to them....

If you are planing on being at the front in any class these days you will need matched 4200's. I now run matched GP4300's and cannot keep up with the guys running the 4200's and it wont matter what class I run in because the voltage out of the 4200's is that much better than anything else you have been able to get upto this point (Li-Po excluded)
Oh, and why post the question if you are not willing to listen to the advice you get from the people who know, like Cannon, he does this for a living and is one of the best in the buisness.
Old 01-16-2007, 02:02 PM
Tech Addict

One of the Major suppliers of matched cells has openly admitted he has had thousands of IB4200's die during matching.

Since he has had thousands of them die during matching then obviously matching can and does damage cells when pushed too hard.

Charles
Where is your proof that "thousands die" during matching. Cannon (a matcher) said he loses 5%........

and if thousands die then Billions will be fine. I have seen one IB4200 cell die at our club and it was replaced by the matcher within 3 days of it happening for free.
Old 01-16-2007, 02:14 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

An open letter to the owners of Harris RC and Feral Racing.

Which of you will be the first to supply these great IB3600 (edit : or Sanyo 3600) cells I keep hearing about? I have been told that they're seriously good - as good as the new gen cells in a lot of cases.

It would seem that despite the fact that you have tens of thousands of dollars invested in your businesses, hundreds (thousands?) of satisfied local customers, and have years of experience and knowledge behind you in batteries designed specifically for the RC market, you have been caught with your pants down this time. It appears that you don't know what you're on about.

We - the racers - look forward to seeing which of you can capitalise on this wonderful opportunity to provide this fantastic cell. Thank GOD it's already AARCMCC, ORRCA, VORTEC, ROAR, EFRA, etc approved, so we can get on with winning some races soon.

-Scott (on behalf of the racing community)

Last edited by ozoner; 01-16-2007 at 02:34 PM.
Old 01-16-2007, 02:41 PM
Tech Initiate

Ok there has been a lot of discussion on cells and their quality but there are only a couple of names availiable at a reasonable cost and they are IB, GP's and now East power. East power being the newer product around, and this is a question that the matchers like Harris or Feral may know, what in their opinion is the better manufactured battery and which ones have the least failure rate during matching.
Old 01-16-2007, 03:03 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 73 (100%+)

Heheheh. Another chinese cell.

Charles
The reason these cells exploded was due to fact that the users had failed to programme their chargers correctly. I know this for a fact. The delta peak was set too high on one occasion and the other times the charger was on a fixed charge time.
Old 01-16-2007, 03:58 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 76 (100%+)

Mr Harris
Over the years we have had many discussions and i remember once i think i mentioned to you"if you every get out of matching Scott you should become a comedian" I am so glad you have taken my advice and persued this career move.

Sand-Muncher I think people would now my view with this. But honestly i have never tried the EP cell so i cannot comment on that question honestly.

It would only be hear say from others..

-Tony

Originally Posted by ozoner
An open letter to the owners of Harris RC and Feral Racing.

Which of you will be the first to supply these great IB3600 (edit : or Sanyo 3600) cells I keep hearing about? I have been told that they're seriously good - as good as the new gen cells in a lot of cases.

It would seem that despite the fact that you have tens of thousands of dollars invested in your businesses, hundreds (thousands?) of satisfied local customers, and have years of experience and knowledge behind you in batteries designed specifically for the RC market, you have been caught with your pants down this time. It appears that you don't know what you're on about.

We - the racers - look forward to seeing which of you can capitalise on this wonderful opportunity to provide this fantastic cell. Thank GOD it's already AARCMCC, ORRCA, VORTEC, ROAR, EFRA, etc approved, so we can get on with winning some races soon.

-Scott (on behalf of the racing community)
Old 01-16-2007, 06:20 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by Patriiick
So then, what s the point of doing 30+ posts about it?

You are trying to say:
-over non-statistical data (unless you have tested hundreds of batteries, from both makers, with similar storage conditions and so on..)
-that somehow, over non-real-life conditions (10a discharge)
you have detected lower IR on the sanyos ??

but that on the track it s not so ?

It's not just a freak result. It was a value I found on both manufacturers data sheets. I then purchased the cells. Tested the cells and confirmed the Data sheets from the manufacturers. At a 10 Amp discharge current the Sanyo Cells are better. Any higher value the IB4200's are better.

The reasosn the IB4200's will be better on the track is because for some reason the Sanyo's start to slightly reduce above a 10 amp discharge.

Charles
Old 01-16-2007, 06:21 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by Monaro_Racing
Where is your proof that "thousands die" during matching. Cannon (a matcher) said he loses 5%........

and if thousands die then Billions will be fine. I have seen one IB4200 cell die at our club and it was replaced by the matcher within 3 days of it happening for free.
Please read the WHOLE thread before commenting on this. It was the Matcher himself that said he has had Thousands of IB4200's die during matching.

It was near page 1 or maybe page 2.

Charles
Old 01-16-2007, 06:25 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by Andrew Barr
The reason these cells exploded was due to fact that the users had failed to programme their chargers correctly. I know this for a fact. The delta peak was set too high on one occasion and the other times the charger was on a fixed charge time.
True, But you have failed to mention he was using a Temperature sensor. And when using a Temperature sensor it doesnt matter what value you use for the -ve Delta V as the Temperature sensor will stop the charge at a safe level. I noticed in the thread people all wanted to blame the bloke who owned the battery. No one would even consider it was caused by poor Quality cells.

When charging a set of flat cells at 6 amps the cell will ALWAYS trip the temperature sensor BEFORE the Zero Delta Peak Trips. Even at 1C they usualy trip the temperature sensor before fully charged. Assuming it is set to the recommended value for NiMH cells. Like around 50-51 Degrees C.

Besides that, Back several years no matter what you did to the batteries they never exploded Violently. They used to Vent Violently but not explode violently.

Charles
Old 01-16-2007, 06:34 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Who is the more of a veggie, the one discussing merits of discharge below 10 amps for racing batteries or all those who have tried to uphold a discussion with him
Old 01-16-2007, 07:46 PM
Tech Rookie

Originally Posted by Besercoe
Who is the more of a veggie, the one discussing merits of discharge below 10 amps for racing batteries or all those who have tried to uphold a discussion with him
Brad,

I resemble that remark!

I would however like to point out that responding to this thread is a lot like picking a scab.
You know you shouldn’t.
You know if you do, it just won’t get better.
You know any pleasure you get out of it is absolutely mindless.
But sometimes you just can’t help yourself.

As per my comments above, while I am here, I know I shouldn’t, but what the hell.

A weak, poorly contructed and sealed container will split if too much pressure builds up inside.
A strong, well constructed and sealed container will hold a lot more pressure. The down side of this that when it fails it will fail in a bigger way.
Maybe the problem is that the newer cells are BETTER contructed. (Remember the rules. Upper case is used to indicate that it is unarguably true and I am not interested in any sensible argument on the issue!)
Old 01-16-2007, 09:40 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by Andrew Barr
yes the delta peak was set to high,my fault ,thgough i usually monitor a repeak, as ive lost my temp sensor....but on that occasion i was asked to help build the track..............and yes it went off like a shot gun...........never charge or repeak your batteries unattended

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.