Wiki Posts
Search

Matched Cell Problems.

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2007, 05:45 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by Z-Mann
they go off exactly like a shotgun
Ok. I will do some more research and see what people are saying. And what brands are exploding in a more violent manner than other brands.

Charles
Old 01-16-2007, 05:48 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 35 (100%+)

Faulure rate has been well below 5% ... that gives you an dication of the number of cells that I have handled in the last couple of years
Old 01-16-2007, 05:54 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Mosc_007
I dont think %100 reliability is needed. But when matchers are getting thousands of IB4200's die during matching and I had %100 failure with 2 sets of matched cells I think I would be happy with %80 reliability.

5 Years ago the reliability was VERY high. But back then the chinese were not making racing cells.

It sounds like the IB4200's are probably less than %50 reliable. When the matcher said he has had Thousands of IB4200's die during matching it would be nice to know how many were ok. And out of the ones that were ok how many of them lasted say 6 months...

Charles
Quite simply 5 years ago the cells we could get our hands on were CRAP. They were the ones the matchers rejected. (Matchers I mean Trinity and Orion as they pretty much got all of the cells before anybody else apparently.) The professional racers were getting cells which the average joe racer could only dream about - that doesn't appear to be happening now. What you don't know is how many cells died in the process back then so you are never going to be able to make an apples to apples comparison...
Old 01-16-2007, 05:55 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by mick_waite
This has to be one of the funniest threads I have ever read.

But why do those who know what they are talking about and whose advice I would trust waste so much time trying to correct “FACTS” that aren’t?
Unless you test the cells for yourself how can you make a comment like that.

Why do you think I go to the trouble of testing the cells myself ?. It's so I know what the facts are. And not just believeing what people say. If you just go around believing what people say you will end up with at least %50 miss-information.

I am %100 certain the Matched IB4200's will kick the Raw RC3600HV's. And probably even kick the matched RC3600HV's.

I am %100 certain that testing the Raw RC3600HV's and Raw IB4200's at a constant discharge of 10 amps that they are equal in average voltage.

I am %100 certain the IB4200 have higher runtime than the RC3600HV's.

What do I have to do to convice some people of this. Would you like me to make a DVD of the testing process so everyone can see the facts for themselves.

Charles
Old 01-16-2007, 05:59 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by vr01
Under racing conditions the 10 Amp discharge is worth nothing. I'm sure once you increase the discharge current you will see a difference between the two in favour of the IB cell...
I agree %100 that above 10 amps the IB4200 will be better.

As for 10 amps being useless. Isn't the average current on a Tamiya 540 (Johnson) Class motor under 10 amps ?

Charles
Old 01-16-2007, 06:08 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by Patriiick
The derogatory approach of considering Intellect cells as chea chinese stuff and Sanyo ones as top notch japanese stuff is completely false.

As perfectly stated above, every cell model in the past 20 years has vented or exploded at some point in their R/C use... regardless of make and model.

Intellect, GP and Sanyos are all world class companies, probably now all 3 operate out of China these days, and would not be so widespread if they were "junk".

The fair analysis of the failure rate of IB4200 is that they own most of the R/C market at this stage, hence are matched in higher volumes, so volumes are a factor
Another factor is that it is a fact that IB works very agressively with the R/C industry and are probably willing to push the envelope a bit more - especially considering that they ve been gaining market share tremendously in the past years.

I am sorry if it sounds derogatory. It is not meant to be that way. It's just that the cells I am comparing happen to be Japanese and chinese. They could well have been two other manufacturers.

And no, Sanyo RC3600HV cells are still made in Japan. As for their consumer cells you are probably correct.

I strongly believe the Chinese will dominate the whole world in consumer products in the not to distant future. Some of the Electronics coming out of China now is The VERY best top quality equipment.

BUT, their is still the very bottom quality stuff as well. But it's only a matter of time before they improve.

I am sure that given time Intellect will improve the relaibility of their batteries. But I suppose it depends what market they are aiming at. For the general consumer market I would say they are very good products. But when it comes to RC racing batteries they have a lot of improvement to do when it comes to reliability. RC batteries get abused all the time. And they need to be special batteries designed just for that purpose. Just like Sanyo. They have their consumer batteries, They have their Industrial batteries and they have their RC batteries. 3 Completly differant battery technologies.

Charles
Old 01-16-2007, 06:12 AM
Tech Adept

i have not used the new cell types yet as i have been out of rc for 3 years but just wanted to say i have had gp 3300 explode non matched or zap

the first set was because of a crash and the pack shorted the other one died on the charger but i did push the packs hard as they where not matched and didnt really care
Old 01-16-2007, 06:13 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by mangoman
Mosc_007 no offense but you started this thread with the comment "Firstly, I have been out of the RC 1/10th onroad scene for a number of years."

Perhaps you should note the fact that of the people replying they include the owners of Australia's two largest battery matching companies (cannon/addicted) and i have yet to see anyone agree with your notion that "matching is bad for cells".
If you sold Matched batteries would you tell anyone that you considered matching them to damage the battery in any way ?

Charles
Old 01-16-2007, 06:16 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by mangoman
I stick to my earlier comment that no-one in this thread has confirmed your theory that matching batteries is bad for cells, so i do not understand why you continue to maintain such.
Actualy they have. One of the Major suppliers of matched cells has openly admitted he has had thousands of IB4200's die during matching.

Since he has had thousands of them die during matching then obviously matching can and does damage cells when pushed too hard.

Charles
Old 01-16-2007, 06:19 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by cannon
Faulure rate has been well below 5% ... that gives you an dication of the number of cells that I have handled in the last couple of years
Looks like I will have to buy some matched cells from you. At that low a failure rate I will be very happy. So far I have had %100 failure with matched cells bought recently.

Charles
Old 01-16-2007, 06:22 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by vr01
Quite simply 5 years ago the cells we could get our hands on were CRAP. They were the ones the matchers rejected. (Matchers I mean Trinity and Orion as they pretty much got all of the cells before anybody else apparently.) The professional racers were getting cells which the average joe racer could only dream about - that doesn't appear to be happening now. What you don't know is how many cells died in the process back then so you are never going to be able to make an apples to apples comparison...
I dont know if calling them crap is being fair. As time goes on technology improves products.

From memory I think the RC3000's I bought about 7 years ago were matched by Orion. Maybe thats why they were such good cells and also cost me around $150 for each set.

Charles
Old 01-16-2007, 06:29 AM
Tech Adept

I dont know if calling them crap is being fair. As time goes on technology improves products.
After thinking about that comment for a while I need to modify it.

As time goes on Technology "Usualy" improves products.

I have to modify that based on my 27 years of experiance in engineering in the manufacturing industry. I have to say that in the last 5 years the Reliability on manufacturing machiney has been decreasing.

Initial purchase costs have been falling dramaticaly. Repair costs have been increasing and downtime has also been increasing.

Charles
Old 01-16-2007, 06:31 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by TWiZTiD
i have not used the new cell types yet as i have been out of rc for 3 years but just wanted to say i have had gp 3300 explode non matched or zap

the first set was because of a crash and the pack shorted the other one died on the charger but i did push the packs hard as they where not matched and didnt really care
The one that exploded in the car, did it destroy the car during the explosion or was it just a small explosion ?

Charles
Old 01-16-2007, 06:40 AM
Tech Rookie

Unless you test the cells for yourself how can you make a comment like that.

...If you just go around believing what people say you will end up with at least %50 miss-information.

I am %100 certain ...

I am %100 certain ...

I am %100 certain ...

What do I have to do to convice some people of this. ...

Charles
If a virgin is giving advice about sex, I'll listen because I enjoy a good laugh. If I actually needed advice I would make sure I asked someone with experience and knowledge. Your wild leaps of logic are truly Pythonesque.

You guessed it. I don't believe much of what you say.

And the chances of lifting this thread up to a level of 50% information is pretty bloody slim. Mind you, given you obviously consider two cells in four packs a 50% failure rate, I guess your idea of 50% infomation is what the rest of us would call approximately 8.33% information, so this thread might just scrape in.

Please, whatever you do, please don't stop this thread. I'll need a laugh tomorrow too!

Mick
Old 01-16-2007, 07:53 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by mick_waite
If a virgin is giving advice about sex, I'll listen because I enjoy a good laugh. If I actually needed advice I would make sure I asked someone with experience and knowledge. Your wild leaps of logic are truly Pythonesque.

You guessed it. I don't believe much of what you say.

And the chances of lifting this thread up to a level of 50% information is pretty bloody slim. Mind you, given you obviously consider two cells in four packs a 50% failure rate, I guess your idea of 50% infomation is what the rest of us would call approximately 8.33% information, so this thread might just scrape in.

Please, whatever you do, please don't stop this thread. I'll need a laugh tomorrow too!

Mick

What can I say. I guess the only way people are going to beleive my test results comparing Raw RC3600HV's to Raw IB4200's at a 10 Amp discharge is to make my DVD and post it on a server so all can watch the test for themselves.

Actualy,
In the Failed GP3700 set. ALL 6 cells are only about %60 Capacity. All were 0.5 volts on arrival. The average discharge voltage is very poor. BUT the internal resistance is still VERY good.

In the failed IB4200 set. 2 Cells were Zero volts and 4 were under 0.7 volts. Obviously I didnt do any tests on them as I returned them for a refund straight away.

According to other experts if a NiMH cell voltage is under 0.9 volts it will have reduced cell capacity. This is the Storage voltage. Not the voltage just after or during discharge.

12 cells from 12 cells is a %100 failure rate. Unless my maths is wrong.

Charles

Last edited by Mosc_007; 01-16-2007 at 08:07 AM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.