Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > International Forums > Australian Racing > Australian Events
2014 Vintage Festival at Castle Hill Off Road September 27 & 28 >

2014 Vintage Festival at Castle Hill Off Road September 27 & 28

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

2014 Vintage Festival at Castle Hill Off Road September 27 & 28

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-22-2014, 02:34 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)

Hey Clint. That is a weak point on the cars. Are u using the manta Ray shock tower or the top force one. The best I came up with was using washers under the screws, I used machine threaded screws not self tappers and on the left hole I think, I ran a longer screw with a locknut on the other end which also doubled as extra strength holding the top cover of the gearbox down. Some of that might help. My manta Ray has been pretty bullet proof but I probably don't run it as hard as you do, mines been babied in 540
Old 10-22-2014, 02:55 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Just wen hunting for my 69 tooth spur. Typically, its in the truck up at the farm. Now I have to concoct some sort of story so I can justify a 4 hour round trip to pick up a $10 part

Ah well, It looks like I've just scheduled a practice day at the secret test facility!
Old 10-23-2014, 04:09 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

So has anyone got a spare madcap gear cover they r willing to sell? And maybe 70t spur? To go to the 26/27t pinion u need to shave some of the gear cover to make the pinion fit which i am not keen to do on a newish one. 25t seems to be as large as u can go without modifying the cover..good luck to any of u running at the nationals here in Canberra
Old 10-23-2014, 06:14 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

Hi guys ,

If you want to download any pics from Vintage Festival, best get in and do it.
I am deleting them this weekend from my Flikr account.

Cheers

Besty
Old 10-23-2014, 08:19 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by besty22
Hi guys ,

If you want to download any pics from Vintage Festival, best get in and do it.
I am deleting them this weekend from my Flikr account.

Cheers

Besty
Hey mate, from memory I couldn't download the first lot you had put up? wouldn't allow it??
Old 10-24-2014, 01:49 AM
Tech Addict

Hi Mikey, yea it is just a really poor design on the rear gearbox housing, I had a look tonight and there doesn't seem to be any simple way to brace it
I am building up a top force this time using some of the Manta Ray bits and possibly putting it in mod to and I will be using machine screws instead of the self tappers as well
haha mine has had a harder life than yours because I my total lack driving ability
When some more bits turn up I will post some photos

Originally Posted by NOFX
Hey Clint. That is a weak point on the cars. Are u using the manta Ray shock tower or the top force one. The best I came up with was using washers under the screws, I used machine threaded screws not self tappers and on the left hole I think, I ran a longer screw with a locknut on the other end which also doubled as extra strength holding the top cover of the gearbox down. Some of that might help. My manta Ray has been pretty bullet proof but I probably don't run it as hard as you do, mines been babied in 540
Old 10-24-2014, 03:34 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

Originally Posted by flustorm
Hey mate, from memory I couldn't download the first lot you had put up? wouldn't allow it??
Oh OK, I will have a look. Thanks
Old 10-24-2014, 03:37 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Capt_Splatt
Just wen hunting for my 69 tooth spur. Typically, its in the truck up at the farm. Now I have to concoct some sort of story so I can justify a 4 hour round trip to pick up a $10 part

Ah well, It looks like I've just scheduled a practice day at the secret test facility!
Secret test facility ay? Sounds like someone is getting serious.
Old 10-24-2014, 05:07 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 33 (100%+)

Originally Posted by cleatus
I am worried now as I have just brought another gearbox set for the top force build up and am hoping that it is the late model one with the rite hole in it
I am going to try and make some sort of plate and pin set up to spread the load of the shock tower mount across the 2 holes below the mounting holes.

I am sick of replacing gearboxes because the 2 mount screws on the rear tower have cracked the case, I have about 4 dead ones now

If I have any luck I will let every one know and mabey build a couple of extras

There was a running change in the gearbox casing to fit the Skyline Speed Tune gear set on the Skyline they released. Easy way to tell is a small letter H molded in the gear case ( High Speed ) All gearbox cases after that I think have this marking. Older versions were from the original Manta Ray & Top Force.
Old 10-24-2014, 01:25 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by MadRacer
There was a running change in the gearbox casing to fit the Skyline Speed Tune gear set on the Skyline they released. Easy way to tell is a small letter H molded in the gear case ( High Speed ) All gearbox cases after that I think have this marking. Older versions were from the original Manta Ray & Top Force.
Hi Mark

Thanks mate, I had heard that they were different but never had it confirmed as such.
The newest box is a red one so I will assume it is the skyline box, now I just need another red front one and I will start building I have a brand new black one so was going to get another black one for the back but they seem to be hard to get ?
Old 10-24-2014, 01:38 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 125 (100%+)

Originally Posted by xrayracer1
Secret test facility ay? Sounds like someone is getting serious.
I'll keep an eye out....
Old 10-24-2014, 03:32 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)

Here's some pics of my top force. The long screw with the nut was the best I could come up with

Cheers

Mikey

Originally Posted by cleatus
Hi Mikey, yea it is just a really poor design on the rear gearbox housing, I had a look tonight and there doesn't seem to be any simple way to brace it
I am building up a top force this time using some of the Manta Ray bits and possibly putting it in mod to and I will be using machine screws instead of the self tappers as well
haha mine has had a harder life than yours because I my total lack driving ability
When some more bits turn up I will post some photos
Attached Thumbnails 2014 Vintage Festival at Castle Hill Off Road September 27 & 28-img_20141025_084538.jpeg   2014 Vintage Festival at Castle Hill Off Road September 27 & 28-img_20141025_084550.jpeg  
Old 10-24-2014, 04:07 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by I'm_Serious
I'll keep an eye out....
LMAO!
Old 10-24-2014, 05:14 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by NOFX
Here's some pics of my top force. The long screw with the nut was the best I could come up with

Cheers

Mikey
Thanks Mikey

I will get a set of stainless screws and copy your set up then my car will atleast look the fast guy's car
Old 10-24-2014, 05:43 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

I used to run a TA02 for on-road. I'm pretty sure I remember being able to grind out a little of the top gear case so you can get screws through on both sides, although you can't use them fancy nylock nuts.

I like the way you think though Clint, cause success is all about appearances

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.