Like Tree18Likes

Veteran TAMIYA TA03 fans!

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2002, 09:39 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Unhappy

Race results.

I came in second place in the A main. I but my car in a blind spot on the track and lost. There where some bad drivers out this weekend. All in all the car was faster than cars that where 10t motors. I was running a 12x1 D 3.5. Just could not get it transition quick enough out of the turns. I switch to Eligi tires and ran HPI gold springs all the way around which helped a lot. I will tighten the diffs in the rear down a little bit more to help get the snap out of the corners that I'm looking for. The car had a bad push all day long.
Old 02-25-2002, 05:14 PM
wyd
Tech Legend

Trader Rating: 51 (100%+)

Well I have always ran the David Jun TAO3F cars when I would go to TCS races in the past. I really like the car. Now we have another TCS race approaching and I don't have the Jun car anymore. I have decided on a TAO3R as my new TCS racer. I think I will do better with the motor more rearward. I really like the way the O3 series of cars are so stable. I have had a 04 and just didn't like it that much. Nice car but not for me. I also like doing well against the O4's at TCS races as many get mad that they were beat by it.

Any setups for oil and pistons for the 03R. Any cool sites out that has anything setup tips on the O3 series.
Old 02-25-2002, 07:30 PM
Tech Addict

Originally posted by rowdyrj
Race results.

I came in second place in the A main. I but my car in a blind spot on the track and lost. There where some bad drivers out this weekend. All in all the car was faster than cars that where 10t motors. I was running a 12x1 D 3.5. Just could not get it transition quick enough out of the turns. I switch to Eligi tires and ran HPI gold springs all the way around which helped a lot. I will tighten the diffs in the rear down a little bit more to help get the snap out of the corners that I'm looking for. The car had a bad push all day long.
steering is a porblem for mine too, but i have yet tried tires that are for for cooler temp, hope that would help
Old 02-25-2002, 07:50 PM
wyd
Tech Legend

I guess I'm lucky as the track I race at does run Tamiya classes. I race against other cars that are similiar in performance. When I ran my O3F car I ran mod at the TCS race and used alot of brakes so steering was not too bad but it could have been better. SInce then Tamiya does make alot more springs I could use that they didn't have when I last ran a TCS race. I kinda used the point and shoot setup for mod. I drove right to the corner, braked, and cracked the throttle to the next corner. Ran fast times but it was hard on the motor. I had to cut it and put new brushes in it every run. Still it was cool.

I hope the R version has some more steering. Tamiya also has better tires and lower profiles than I had to run in the past as well. It should also help the O3 cars as well as it has helped the O4 series cars. Time will tell.
Old 02-28-2002, 05:24 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

The next time I race my 03 I will remove the rear sway bar to see if that gets me in and out the corners better. Speed is the the problem. My 03 with a 12x1 was faster than 10x2 and other 12x2 on a track that supper long straights.

The 03 is still a force on the track.
Old 02-28-2002, 06:30 AM
Tech Addict

Hi all,

I just got a used TA03RS TRF in to use in the tamiya series race. Anyone driven the RS version? Is it a good car?
Old 02-28-2002, 03:36 PM
wyd
Tech Legend

I wonder how much different the RS handles compared to the R. I have the R version I just got today from a friend. I have alwayed raced the F version but I think for me the R will work a little better.

What Tamiya bodies do you guys think work the best. I was going to get the new Mercedes as the older version seemed to work well on my F car.
Old 03-01-2002, 01:56 AM
Tech Addict

The F and R versions should have similar handling as they both have 50/50 weight balance on the front and rear. The R however has most of the weight more towards the centre which should help it turn quicker. The tensioner that guides the belt away from the motor on the R/RS adds more bending to the belt and also increases belt losses(drag). I cant wait get to install everything and run the RS to see how it goes. Hopefully it will do well against all the TA04Rs and TRF414s that are most common here.

I like the low sleek look of the Mercedes CLK gtr.
Old 03-01-2002, 07:40 AM
Tech Adept

Psycho-Thanks for the info on the track and the XXX-s. I would like a new car, but I'll try to race my 03R-TRF.

Wyd-I have not tried this setup as of yet, but will soon. I got this from an editor of car action for the 03R, BaseLine Setup.

Front
Ride height: 5mm
Camber: 1.5 degrees
Toe: 0
Swaybar: Yellow
Oil: 80WT Associated
Internal Limiters: 3mm plastic spacer
External Limiters: 1 black Tamiya rubber O-Ring
Pistons: 1-hole
Springs: Blue
Preload: 1mm
Overall Shock Length: 66mm

Rear
Ride Height: 5.5mm
Camber: 1.5mm
Swaybar: Yellow
Oil: 80WT Associated
Internal Limiters: 3mm Plastic spacer
External Limiters: None
Pistons: 1-hole
Springs: Yellow
Preload: 4mm
Overall Shock Length: 66mm

For Bodies I have to agree with Jimmy.

Jimmy-The RS I believe is a bit more agile because it is shorter then the other turing cars.

I don't have any experience in setting up cars, I just get the information that I have from articles in magazines.
Old 03-01-2002, 10:26 AM
wyd
Tech Legend

Dayten thanks for the setup info. I will be trying that one in a week or two once I have the car rebuilt to my liking.

Do you happen to know what CarAction month has the Robert Itoh article. It had his 03 setup he used to win the TCS race at one time with the stock plastic chassis. I remember seeing it but know since I have been looking for it I can't seem to fine it. It had a picture of his car and his setup and a little question and answer section on him. I think he runs for Yokomo or HPI now. He is pretty damn good.

Thanks
Brian
Old 03-01-2002, 01:53 PM
Tech Master

Dayten

You can run lower at Castle. I'd run no more than 4mm ride height or you may have problems with traction rolling. Since you have no droop adjustment on that car, ride height is even more important.
Old 03-02-2002, 10:09 PM
Tech Adept

Wyd-I don't know what issue it is, but I do remember it. Here is a site that has some tips about the TA03R TRF.

http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homep...liti/Page1.htm

Psycho-Thanks for the tip. I'll set it up for 4mm ride height
Old 03-03-2002, 06:16 AM
wyd
Tech Legend

Thanks Dayten....
Old 03-07-2002, 08:40 PM
wyd
Tech Legend

Anyone know the gear reduction on the David Jun car or any of the 03 series with the the white gears. I use to have it writen down but I can't find it.
Old 03-11-2002, 09:03 AM
Tech Adept

Wyd-Sorry I don't have that information.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.