Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree288Likes

Tamiya mini cooper

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2012, 05:21 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by monkeyracing
Why do you think they made a point of mentioning that it has a gear diff? New type of of gear diff or just taking advantage of the current hype? I'm hoping for new product.
It's probably the same old open gear diff. A new sealed gear diff if there will be one from Tamiya would be an option and wouldn't come in a kit. At least not in a non pro or non limited edition kit.
Sorry to burst your bubble Jim. Then again Tamiya could be reading this and just to spite me put in a new sealed diff.
Old 02-02-2012, 05:40 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Great. Now you've made me cry. Hope was all I had. BAAAAAAH!!!
Old 02-02-2012, 08:43 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by tony gray
A new release Mini from Tamiya. M05 (LWB we assume) JC Works Mini Coupe.
Where can I get one....

That's such a cool looking shell.
Old 02-03-2012, 11:50 AM
Tech Rookie

Default Please help me..

Whether a suitable rubber tires i used to play on the carpet? I want the kind of tires are very grip.

Thx
Old 02-03-2012, 12:02 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Hidetaki
Whether a suitable rubber tires i used to play on the carpet? I want the kind of tires are very grip.

Thx
We use the Sweep pre-mounts at the local carpet championship. No complaints for grip. Always 25s on the rear, usually 33s with glued sidewalls on the front now.
Old 02-03-2012, 01:11 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Source: http://ameblo.jp/afro3/page-1.html#main
Old 02-03-2012, 02:54 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by sosidge
We use the Sweep pre-mounts at the local carpet championship. No complaints for grip. Always 25s on the rear, usually 33s with glued sidewalls on the front now.
Just got a set of sweeps 33s...for asphalt, do the 33s work well on the rear?
Old 02-03-2012, 04:15 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by tony gray
A new release Mini from Tamiya. M05 (LWB we assume) JC Works Mini Coupe.

I don't suppose there is a body kit part number yet on this
Old 02-03-2012, 05:28 PM
NT
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

The entire kit is #58520

No idea on the body alone though.
Old 02-03-2012, 10:28 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by Hidetaki

Thx
For 55D tyres - Express Radials (I think they are now re-branded as Yeah Racing)
Ansmann radials (if you can find them)

I used Express radials front and rear and they worked well.

For 60D tyres - Tamiya S-Grip and M-Grip. I used M-Grip front and rear and they worked well.

If your rules allow it you can use Tamiya rally block tyres, or Ride Mini pin, the sort that you might find on an offroad RC-18.
Old 02-03-2012, 11:28 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

I have asked this on the Australian forum of Mini’s (being a Saturday afternoon not many people on the forum) and I am trying to avoid double post but….is it also worth buying an M05 Aluminum Motor Plate (54184) and if so why?
Old 02-04-2012, 01:17 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

The motor plate is good for the motor and offers some weight balance. For me worth it.
Old 02-04-2012, 11:25 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default Help Please!

Need some advice from the Mini Gurus…

I have basically been running the same M03 for the last 3 ½ years. It has gone thru a chassis replacement and a diff rebuild about 1 ½ years ago due to it being T-boned hard during one race which broke my chassis. Either in club races or during our regional race series, it’s generally a top 3 car. It needs barely any maintenance other than using the air compressor on it at the end of a race night. Over the last few months my car has been letting me down.

It handles great and I think it has the same top speed as everyone else but the biggest problem I have is that it has absolutely no punch getting out of the corners. I admit my diff is a bit loose but some fast guys running the FWD’s don’t have a tight diff either. This season, we have switched over to the Orca Brushless System so it can’t be the motor issue as I had that issue when other guys were running faster silver cans than me and I was still able to beat them.

I run at the same club as Monkeyracing but I’m the complete opposite in terms of Maintenance as him. However the time has come for me to maybe do a complete rebuild as other cars are catching me within 10 feet out of the corners. So my questions is, can someone list all the changes I can make to help me get out of the corners faster? If someone is gonna recommend tightening the diff, what is the best / least maintenance way to tighten either a ball or gear diff without locking it as that is illegal for our club. Any advice is much appreciate.

Thanks,

Ivan
Old 02-04-2012, 12:50 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by dirtman71
Just got a set of sweeps 33s...for asphalt, do the 33s work well on the rear?
I have always run 25s on tarmac/asphalt on the rear. Your 33s may still be OK.
Old 02-04-2012, 12:56 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by BoneCrusher
Need some advice from the Mini Gurus…

I have basically been running the same M03 for the last 3 ½ years. It has gone thru a chassis replacement and a diff rebuild about 1 ½ years ago due to it being T-boned hard during one race which broke my chassis. Either in club races or during our regional race series, it’s generally a top 3 car. It needs barely any maintenance other than using the air compressor on it at the end of a race night. Over the last few months my car has been letting me down.

It handles great and I think it has the same top speed as everyone else but the biggest problem I have is that it has absolutely no punch getting out of the corners. I admit my diff is a bit loose but some fast guys running the FWD’s don’t have a tight diff either. This season, we have switched over to the Orca Brushless System so it can’t be the motor issue as I had that issue when other guys were running faster silver cans than me and I was still able to beat them.

I run at the same club as Monkeyracing but I’m the complete opposite in terms of Maintenance as him. However the time has come for me to maybe do a complete rebuild as other cars are catching me within 10 feet out of the corners. So my questions is, can someone list all the changes I can make to help me get out of the corners faster? If someone is gonna recommend tightening the diff, what is the best / least maintenance way to tighten either a ball or gear diff without locking it as that is illegal for our club. Any advice is much appreciate.

Thanks,

Ivan
When you say loose do you mean slipping or free running?

Either way, if it is diffing out and wasting that acceleration you should be able to see/feel/hear it.

Depending on the diff you use there are lots of ways of getting a tight feel while retaining a diff action. That Tamiya TA03 ball diff is a lot tighter in its action than the M-05 diff, and is therefore my preferred ball diff if that is in your rules.

I've really started to like the 3Racing gear diff though. I run it with 5K oil (cue the posts about how that is much too light...) but it does not diff out even with a HPI Saturn 20 motor and 3Racing speed gears on carpet, which is quite a demanding combination. It also corners well and is stable, the balance has been spot on indoors and out for the past 6 months.

If it's not the diff, perhaps something mechanical is tight in your car, or perhaps something is setup wrong in your electrics.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.