Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree1Likes

U.S. Vintage Trans-Am Racing

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2012, 03:59 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 54 (100%+)

R40........WE GET IT!!!!! Also your going to need a better comeback then some random video from your private collection of your failed attempts to "Make a funny"
Old 02-15-2012, 05:44 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

My purple heat sink has a fan... that's good for a few tenths, right?

All kidding aside, i've seen people more worried with batteries, motors, gearing, tires and bodies to realize that they are overdriving the corners and banging pipes every lap.

Give people, especially new people, some definite limits and they will HOPEFULLY realize that it's all about driving, not spending.
Old 02-15-2012, 06:13 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 115 (100%+)

Originally Posted by pejota

All kidding aside, i've seen people more worried with batteries, motors, gearing, tires and bodies to realize that they are overdriving the corners and banging pipes every lap. Give people, especially new people, some definite limits and they will HOPEFULLY realize that it's all about driving, not spending.

And there may well be a correlation there.... all rip, and no control....pure overkill. Anybody can shoot a .45, but can they actually get the round where they are aiming? I never have the best motor or batteries, but I still get that beast around the track nice and clean.

I gotta break that purple heat sink out again, it's mojo-laden y' know ?

One final point... yeah, don't turn a newb away completely because he doesn't have the right pack, just make sure they know that if they want to keep running, they have to get with the rules. Depends on where you race. Where I run, the rules are very flexible in some regards...
Old 02-15-2012, 06:46 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

Originally Posted by pejota

All kidding aside, i've seen people more worried with batteries, motors, gearing, tires and bodies to realize that they are overdriving the corners and banging pipes every lap.

Give people, especially new people, some definite limits and they will HOPEFULLY realize that it's all about driving, not spending.
Well said !!!
Old 02-15-2012, 06:57 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

LOL - this past weekend, as I was itching to race but feeling a bit under the weather...I set up a small Road Course track in the street in front of my house.

Blew and Swept the street, Layed out the Yellow Plow discs in a nice layout, and sprayed the course w/ 4 gallons of rootbeer.

(I'd been itching to drive my "VINTAGE" RC10L 235 TOJ project car)

Powered by a ONE CELL (3.7v) 5000 mAh 50c Thunder Power stick, and a NOVAK 10.5 SS motor it was TOOO quick for the course... So I turned the Throttle EPA down to 50% until I learned the layout, then after about 20 minutes of run, was finally up to 90% on the EPA turning it up as I got smoother and smoother.

With US VTA's control tire, and limited power motor, it's SILLY to up the rule on mAh for "Sanctioned" type events, but at the same time...if a NEWBIE shows up at a Non-Sanctioned "Club Event" - LET HIM RUN, and IF the battery appears to be an issue causing him to "Dominate" the class - I'm sure SOMEONE there would have a "Spec Legal" pack he'd be able to BORROW for the main!

To SPREAD the FUN of the VTA - sometimes a compromise needs to be met somewhere in the middle (for CLUB events ONLY) -
Old 02-15-2012, 07:00 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

A debate on a discussion forum? Say it isn't so! While I'm all about dropping an issue when its a dead horse, I feel this particular rule merits further discussion, especially when it could reduce the chances of a fun class expanding.

If you're getting frustrated, even when I try to keep it light hearted, then butt out. WE GET IT F.M., you want the pointless rule enforced.
Old 02-15-2012, 07:38 PM
Tech Apprentice

Headed to a place in Frederick MD tomorrow to run my VTA for the first time. Im an experienced RC racer so ALL my stuff is within the rules of USVTA....that being said.....Id like to say this.....
NEVER TURN A NEWBIE AWAY!!!!
If a racer shows up at a track to run for the first time...let 'em run what he brung!
Of course you explain the rules and guidlines of a track or class for the next time, but if you turn them away....you may not get a next time.

Ive been new, you were new, and someone else will always be new. Be kind, be supportive, and for the love of the sport be helpful NOT hurtful!
Old 02-15-2012, 07:47 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by tinman79
Headed to a place in Frederick MD tomorrow to run my VTA for the first time. Im an experienced RC racer so ALL my stuff is within the rules of USVTA....that being said.....Id like to say this.....
NEVER TURN A NEWBIE AWAY!!!!
If a racer shows up at a track to run for the first time...let 'em run what he brung!
Of course you explain the rules and guidlines of a track or class for the next time, but if you turn them away....you may not get a next time.

Ive been new, you were new, and someone else will always be new. Be kind, be supportive, and for the love of the sport be helpful NOT hurtful!
That place would be "The C".... aka Hobbytown .

Give you quick run-down how it usually works there.... they run 21.5 and 1450 on the weight limit. No boost. VTA tires and VTA shell, with a FDR of 4.20.... get with Ed and make sure your car is on point. The class has been around that place for a long time and is not an exact facsimile of what would run at a National VTA event per say, but it is close and they have been teching a lot lately to keep it all fair. Also, there are some quick mofo's in the house.... i will say this though, you will love the indoor asphalt! Best of both worlds!

P.S... is that a V&H edition FZR600? Those dual-round headlight yammies were cool as $h!t
Old 02-15-2012, 11:13 PM
Tech Master

I say we all run 10 AA energizer batteries. It would run like hell............for a minute
Old 02-16-2012, 08:50 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

http://www.ustream.tv/recorded/20104889
Old 02-16-2012, 09:52 AM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by nf_ekt
That place would be "The C".... aka Hobbytown .

Give you quick run-down how it usually works there.... they run 21.5 and 1450 on the weight limit. No boost. VTA tires and VTA shell, with a FDR of 4.20.... get with Ed and make sure your car is on point. The class has been around that place for a long time and is not an exact facsimile of what would run at a National VTA event per say, but it is close and they have been teching a lot lately to keep it all fair. Also, there are some quick mofo's in the house.... i will say this though, you will love the indoor asphalt! Best of both worlds!

P.S... is that a V&H edition FZR600? Those dual-round headlight yammies were cool as $h!t
Thanks for the PM and the 411 on Hobbytown.
It is a Vance & Hines race replica. A 1992 Yamaha FZR 600....saddly its one of the trapezoid shaped single headlight models. I think they only came that way in '91 and '92. Its a blast to ride though!
Old 02-16-2012, 12:42 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by tinman79
Thanks for the PM and the 411 on Hobbytown.
It is a Vance & Hines race replica. A 1992 Yamaha FZR 600....saddly its one of the trapezoid shaped single headlight models. I think they only came that way in '91 and '92. Its a blast to ride though!
Ed Z is the RD there. Ask him for help and he will, or he might get you with either Dave or Randy Banks and they will get you all set.
Old 02-16-2012, 01:36 PM
Tech Elite

(Posted this on the photos thread too. Wasn't sure where was best.)

This was the first car I drove. A 72 Dodge Charger! My family had one. Same color, but with a white (Eeeewoooh!) vinyl top. Did any of those era Chargers get used for real VTA?

I don't think there's a body out there except the hot rod one from HPI. And, I'm sure its not USVTA legal. Dag Nab it!

My older brother MELTED a set of tires on it when he was a Senior in high school. He denied doing burnouts. My Dad then took him out to the garage and showed him the molten rubber that was stuck up inside the wheel wells and lower rear skirt. He had to fess up at that point...and buy some new rear tires. Ha!

Old 02-16-2012, 01:37 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

Indy, posted a link to Kamtec. They carry a 1969 charger and NO, none of the big B bodies ever raced TA.
Old 02-16-2012, 01:43 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Evoracer
Indy, posted a link to Kamtec. They carry a 1969 charger and NO, none of the big B bodies ever raced TA.
Thanks Evo. I do remember that car had a hood that kept going and going. 302 engine I think? Don't remember for sure.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.