Search
Like Tree52Likes

European 2wd 1/8th pan car on-road Classic class

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2012, 05:45 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by garen
So I have a question for you guys who have been running pan car for the past couple of months. I want to know what your average cost is per weekend, to race one of these cars, so far? I am not asking for start up costs, just the actual money spent each weekend to practice, qualify, and race your 2wd pan car- fuel, tires, parts (including bodies, engines, clutch parts, belts, etc.)

Also, how much time are you spending at the track wrenching (on your 2wd) each weekend?

Numbers don't have to be exact, but be as accurate as possible.
if i don't chunk a tire i will only need maybe 2 sets of back and fronts. so far in 1 1/2 seasons only 1 glow plug. 2 gallons of fuel. no other parts. 3 bodies in that time. so a race day 15$ ?
Old 07-12-2012, 05:49 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by Dasmopar
For my kid I'd say its 2 to 3 weeks per body. A pinion gear and clutch bell twice in one weekend, prolly two sets of rear tires that get donated from my 4wd car, Fronts seem to last atleast 3 or 4 weekends. Motors seems to be lasting many many races, fuel is hard to tell since we have 4 cars dipping from the same gallon but they are pitting at the 7 min mark or later so its not much compared to my 4wd car. Front bumpers seem to get replaced often enough to make the conversation. Either way its peanuts compared to my Capricorn 4wd car. I would guess between 40 and 30 bucks a weekend would be a workable budget for parts. No one in Toledo should be buying rear tires.
i agree with the rear tires rick,ted,terry wear them down just right then toss'em at me. we use the 3 r's_ reduce ,reuse, recycle !!!. except when rick grenades the wheels
Old 07-12-2012, 09:24 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default Hm

So I have a question for you guys who have been running pan car for the past couple of months. I want to know what your average cost is per weekend, to race one of these cars, so far? I am not asking for start up costs, just the actual money spent each weekend to practice, qualify, and race your 2wd pan car- fuel, tires, parts (including bodies, engines, clutch parts, belts, etc.)

Also, how much time are you spending at the track wrenching (on your 2wd) each weekend?

Let's see..I ran my car, and I let a friend run my car at Portage...and as Lon is my witness, a few impacts were observed. To date, my biggest cost has been getting to the race since I'm four hours away. I've broken no parts, used very little fuel, and gone through some rubber I had mounted previously or new rubber at about a buck a tire. Of course I'm running 30 year old stuff too..I make that point because if the car is built well, you won't eat parts, and if you maintain the engine well, you can run a VERY long time on it. I have no idea how many gallons of fuel have been through this motor and it's as strong as it ever was, and provided you don't lean it out too much, plugs last a long time too (and I'm getting plugs at about 3 bucks a pop from a guy in Canada so they aren't expensive anyhow.) I suspect that with any car, careful driving and a good setup in pan will be just like way back when, you can get quality racing, tons of fun, and spend very little money doing it.
Old 07-12-2012, 09:34 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by hitcharide1
, and gone through some rubber I had mounted previously or new rubber at about a buck a tire. .
..so wheres the dollar rubber coming from??.........need tires/donuts bad for my 300...or it will be shelved and the 4wd will come out again.........
Old 07-12-2012, 09:38 PM
Tech Master

.............Who said pan racing was cheap???
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...vip=true&rt=nc
.what body is that Ned??...........I want one....or a dozen.........
Old 07-12-2012, 11:15 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 36 (100%+)

Hi Guys,

Do you know of any collectors, or forums, that would be interested in a '79 PB International car? + spares. I can send pics if anyone pm's me their email address.
Thanks
Old 07-13-2012, 04:02 AM
Tech Adept

Here in Italy the cost for a two days weekend for me is:

4 sets of rear tires
2 sets of front
the body will last 2 or 3 w-ends
a thrust bearing if I use the centax.
2 or 3 liters of fuel
1 glow plug

I'd say around 100€ for a trouble-free top notch w-end.

What is killing my pocket is all the money I must spend to get to the race and sleep there. Unfortunately no races around here, I must travel a lot.

The best choice I did is to make my own fuel. I can really save a lot of money. I come from off road racing, where is easy to get 10 minutes from a tank. Approaching on road racing doubled the cost of fuel, since a tank lasts 5 mins.

Of course my own fuel doesn't have the performance of the best fuels you can buy, nevertheless is more than enough for a pan car, cause you approach the throttle very easy, and you don't need to maximize the sharpness of the engine.

ciao
Old 07-13-2012, 07:27 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Taylorm
Matt,
Got me on the body! Looks familiar but I can't name it... Deltas were probably not as common as Associateds so the price seems "reasonable" lol
Old 07-13-2012, 07:47 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by aarcobra
Matt,
Got me on the body! Looks familiar but I can't name it... Deltas were probably not as common as Associateds so the price seems "reasonable" lol
..bet you could re-pop them for less than half that with your mad machining skills.............get on it.........im the first buyer
Old 07-13-2012, 09:49 AM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by Flygio
Here in Italy the cost for a two days weekend for me is:

4 sets of rear tires
2 sets of front
the body will last 2 or 3 w-ends
a thrust bearing if I use the centax.
2 or 3 liters of fuel
1 glow plug

I'd say around 100€ for a trouble-free top notch w-end.

What is killing my pocket is all the money I must spend to get to the race and sleep there. Unfortunately no races around here, I must travel a lot.

The best choice I did is to make my own fuel. I can really save a lot of money. I come from off road racing, where is easy to get 10 minutes from a tank. Approaching on road racing doubled the cost of fuel, since a tank lasts 5 mins.

Of course my own fuel doesn't have the performance of the best fuels you can buy, nevertheless is more than enough for a pan car, cause you approach the throttle very easy, and you don't need to maximize the sharpness of the engine.

ciao
We get a gallon of Byrons fuel or VP fuel for under $20 here.
Old 07-13-2012, 11:08 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by Taylorm
The body looks like a body once made by MRP and called the Budweiser Spyder. If you look on the Delta Plasik's web site it's Part # 0090
Old 07-13-2012, 11:17 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default Hm

Originally Posted by 1/8 oldschool
The body looks like a body once made by MRP and called the Budweiser Spyder. If you look on the Delta Plasik's web site it's Part # 0090
I believe I have one of those, uncut and unpainted, if anyone wants to use it as a template to make more. I also have a Lola (had three but cut one for me, one for my friend.)
Old 07-13-2012, 01:03 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

For my kid I'd say its 2 to 3 weeks per body. A pinion gear and clutch bell twice in one weekend, prolly two sets of rear tires that get donated from my 4wd car, Fronts seem to last atleast 3 or 4 weekends. Motors seems to be lasting many many races, fuel is hard to tell since we have 4 cars dipping from the same gallon but they are pitting at the 7 min mark or later so its not much compared to my 4wd car. Front bumpers seem to get replaced often enough to make the conversation. Either way its peanuts compared to my Capricorn 4wd car. I would guess between 40 and 30 bucks a weekend would be a workable budget for parts. No one in Toledo should be buying rear tires.
What pinion and clutch bell problem have you had? Has it happened once or often? The clutch and bell on this car are relatively bullet proof, I don't think I have ever had an issue with mine.

Have you tried running 16% fuel? It's cheaper, and still packs enough power. I run 16% in my sedan (when I run sedan), and I tried it in my pan car and the only difference it made was longer run time.

You are right about tires, I have been running my left over rears or just picking some 35 shore tires from the trash at the track and using them until they get to about 65mm in diameter.
Old 07-13-2012, 01:27 PM
Tech Adept

We get a gallon of Byrons fuel or VP fuel for under $20 here.
You're lucky there.... we spend from 10 to 14€ per litre here or better, THEY spend.....
Old 07-13-2012, 04:27 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by 80'sracer
Hi Guys,

Do you know of any collectors, or forums, that would be interested in a '79 PB International car? + spares. I can send pics if anyone pm's me their email address.
Thanks
if memory serves thats a brittish car? now thats a colector car

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.