Search
Like Tree52Likes

European 2wd 1/8th pan car on-road Classic class

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2012, 05:59 AM
Tech Regular

Default USABLE POWER!

Originally Posted by hitcharide1
What's all this about 3 port? I think my old Picco delivers alright, and I have a hard time imagining a different engine with more ports providing any more usable power....
Phil, At the start of things there was a great fear of fast motors and how they would destroy the pan class. With this in mind it was decided to use the NR 3-port that came in the Motonica combo as the base motor. This motor seems to be working just fine. Now the 3-port might be going away. Motonica combo motor is a 5-port now. Problem? Doesn't seem to be as the usable power factor is there. A pan can only take so much power. The guys (and gal) running this class are enjoying a simple, low cost, and low tech drivers class. You know, you're in the middle of it yourself!
You guys doing battle with the old cars have always been welcome to run what you got.(as long as the old stuff doesn't start kicking ass). It'd be nice if it had a GT body now, but we rather have you racing then not.
Old 07-11-2012, 12:19 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default well

Originally Posted by Das 1/8th Mopar
Phil, At the start of things there was a great fear of fast motors and how they would destroy the pan class. With this in mind it was decided to use the NR 3-port that came in the Motonica combo as the base motor. This motor seems to be working just fine. Now the 3-port might be going away. Motonica combo motor is a 5-port now. Problem? Doesn't seem to be as the usable power factor is there. A pan can only take so much power. The guys (and gal) running this class are enjoying a simple, low cost, and low tech drivers class. You know, you're in the middle of it yourself!
You guys doing battle with the old cars have always been welcome to run what you got.(as long as the old stuff doesn't start kicking ass). It'd be nice if it had a GT body now, but we rather have you racing then not.
Seeing how I have plenty of engines, I can't see a need to upgrade so I'll keep running what I have. As for a GT body...I'm still out of luck there. I've only got the one and I'm saving it as a template should Ned ever want it. Beyond that, would anyone in here know where I could buy wing tubes? It's one thing I'm short on, been to every automotive place around to try to find some steel brake line that would do but all the line I find is too soft and therefore unusable....
Old 07-11-2012, 12:58 PM
Tech Regular

Seeing how I have plenty of engines, I can't see a need to upgrade so I'll keep running what I have. As for a GT body...I'm still out of luck there. I've only got the one and I'm saving it as a template should Ned ever want it. Beyond that, would anyone in here know where I could buy wing tubes? It's one thing I'm short on, been to every automotive place around to try to find some steel brake line that would do but all the line I find is too soft and therefore unusable....
Phil
Brake tubing will be annealed - you need steel mechanical tubing and if memory serves we used to buy 4130 aircaft tubing
Old 07-11-2012, 01:33 PM
Tech Addict

Default Hm

Originally Posted by Rick Davis
Phil
Brake tubing will be annealed - you need steel mechanical tubing and if memory serves we used to buy 4130 aircaft tubing
I've looked everywhere locally for the stuff and can't find it anywhere. Between that and a few issues here in the shop I'm ready to start reprogramming computers with a large axe so I'll let this issue go till after the weekend when my blood pressure doesn't resemble the high side of a r-134a system. Beyond that, I'm looking at the weather forecast for this weekend...not feeling optimistic but we'll give it a shot anyhow. Thanx for the info Rick...I'm just having one of those days.

By the way, while you're about....in that mess of stuff I got from the dude is a Serpent Excel. It's missing the front wheel drive components...didn't know if you had one for your collection or if you even wanted one. I'm not into shelf queens, if you need one for your stash you can have this one....

Phil
Old 07-11-2012, 01:38 PM
Tech Master

Lon......in the beginning I was also an advocate
For the 3 ports....I found that mcnish was
Able to score a 5 port novarossi for. 169.00 bucks
From ted.:.: what a steal.....I killed my 10 year old RB
7 port and put in my old 4wd mega motor that is worn out...
I am now of the mind tO let guys run whatever 21 motor they
Want......I bet Davis has a truckload of old (to him) 21's he could
Sell to us pan guys.... I won't beat anyone anyway until
I can get my dinosaur to last 15 mins...
Old 07-11-2012, 03:51 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Flygio
I think that Kangaroo is choking rather than jumping with a 5.4mm restrictor :-)
going too try mine, i have all the diff restrictors.
Old 07-11-2012, 03:57 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Taylorm
Lon......in the beginning I was also an advocate
For the 3 ports....I found that mcnish was
Able to score a 5 port novarossi for. 169.00 bucks
From ted.:.: what a steal.....I killed my 10 year old RB
7 port and put in my old 4wd mega motor that is worn out...
I am now of the mind tO let guys run whatever 21 motor they
Want......I bet Davis has a truckload of old (to him) 21's he could
Sell to us pan guys.... I won't beat anyone anyway until
I can get my dinosaur to last 15 mins...
i think that motor scott has looks great as well, good price won't scare folks away.
Old 07-11-2012, 04:50 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

I've looked everywhere locally for the stuff and can't find it anywhere. Between that and a few issues here in the shop I'm ready to start reprogramming computers with a large axe so I'll let this issue go till after the weekend when my blood pressure doesn't resemble the high side of a r-134a system. Beyond that, I'm looking at the weather forecast for this weekend...not feeling optimistic but we'll give it a shot anyhow. Thanx for the info Rick...I'm just having one of those days.

By the way, while you're about....in that mess of stuff I got from the dude is a Serpent Excel. It's missing the front wheel drive components...didn't know if you had one for your collection or if you even wanted one. I'm not into shelf queens, if you need one for your stash you can have this one....

Phil
Phil,
Try this:

http://www.aircraftspruce.com/menus/...130tubing.html

They have lots of other neat stuff too!

Ned
Old 07-11-2012, 05:56 PM
Tech Addict

Default Damn!

Originally Posted by aarcobra
Phil,
Try this:

Ned
Thanx Ned...I will call them tomorrow. Four of the Super J's I got didn't have tubes, and two of the GP180's. I never broke or needed one, so don't know why this guy didn't have any and I'll want to complete the cars as much as possible prior to getting rid of them. I'm headed over to Singer welding tomorrow...they have CNC and lots of aluminum, I'm going to talk to them about getting some prices on making things that I can't make myself. I'm about half tempted to take one of the MRP diffs over with me, I'm not positive on the durability aspect but I think that part would be cheaper to reproduce and the MRP diff is a little smoother than the Delta. That, and I'm still looking at getting metal spur gears made...a little noisier but a lot more durable. Anyhow, thanx again for the link, that looks like the stuff Rick is talking about and should do quite nicely.
Old 07-11-2012, 09:47 PM
Tech Regular

Default If you like my body!

On race day, no pan car well be turned away. The more the merrier. However, if you plan to compete for points, you need a GT body. it'd be silly to crown a GT Champion if he's running a Can Am type car.
Due to some sloppy record keeping, we don't know who is the Can Am Champion is yet, but we'll get it right. and we'll watch the GT racing from the get go. See MWS website for how points are scored.
Old 07-11-2012, 11:36 PM
Tech Addict

Default Meh

On race day, no pan car well be turned away. The more the merrier. However, if you plan to compete for points, you need a GT body. it'd be silly to crown a GT Champion if he's running a Can Am type car.
Due to some sloppy record keeping, we don't know who is the Can Am Champion is yet, but we'll get it right. and we'll watch the GT racing from the get go. See MWS website for how points are scored.
I hate GT bodies. A lot. I think it was the Winternats back in 81 where those of us running superstock had to run the things, and we were all having huge problems keeping the motors running because of the heat. There is one corvette body that came with the stuff, hand painted for the guy (whose name I can't seem to remember) from Nebraska, it was never run and I'm loathe to run it since it'd probably make someone a really nice shelf queen body. That said, and seeing how everyone else is going to have one, I'll dig a little deeper and see if I can't find an old one that'll fit. Bah humbug.

While I'm at it and have old stuff on the brain, I've got some engines I'm going to bring up if anybody would be interested in them. Most are side exhaust, think there's an OPS, a K&B, a MEGA and an old Paris engine. I've set aside the Super Tigre and McCoy pipe to put on the Thorpe, and most of the rear exhaust engines for the Super J chassis'. I also seem to have a bunch of Picco rods if anyone needs one...provided it doesn't rain, everyone come on over and pick through stuff. I'm not bringing the full load until the GLC but if I have something a person needs to complete their car, we'll work something out.
Old 07-12-2012, 06:49 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Christmas in July won't be happening until mid next week .

But at least I know it's on it's way. I love toys!

What I could use (damn, hate going off topic. But this thread is the easiest way to communicate) some tire truing schooling. Have a box full of untrued 1/10 foamies and that's what I'll be bringing...
Old 07-12-2012, 10:49 AM
Tech Addict

Default Thanx again, Ned

Originally Posted by aarcobra
Phil,
Try this:

Ned
I just ordered nine feet of the stuff. That's enough to equip most of what I've got and have a little spare in case anyone else needs any.
Old 07-12-2012, 05:04 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

So I have a question for you guys who have been running pan car for the past couple of months. I want to know what your average cost is per weekend, to race one of these cars, so far? I am not asking for start up costs, just the actual money spent each weekend to practice, qualify, and race your 2wd pan car- fuel, tires, parts (including bodies, engines, clutch parts, belts, etc.)

Also, how much time are you spending at the track wrenching (on your 2wd) each weekend?

Numbers don't have to be exact, but be as accurate as possible.
Old 07-12-2012, 05:23 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by garen
So I have a question for you guys who have been running pan car for the past couple of months. I want to know what your average cost is per weekend, to race one of these cars, so far? I am not asking for start up costs, just the actual money spent each weekend to practice, qualify, and race your 2wd pan car- fuel, tires, parts (including bodies, engines, clutch parts, belts, etc.)

Also, how much time are you spending at the track wrenching (on your 2wd) each weekend?

Numbers don't have to be exact, but be as accurate as possible.
For my kid I'd say its 2 to 3 weeks per body. A pinion gear and clutch bell twice in one weekend, prolly two sets of rear tires that get donated from my 4wd car, Fronts seem to last atleast 3 or 4 weekends. Motors seems to be lasting many many races, fuel is hard to tell since we have 4 cars dipping from the same gallon but they are pitting at the 7 min mark or later so its not much compared to my 4wd car. Front bumpers seem to get replaced often enough to make the conversation. Either way its peanuts compared to my Capricorn 4wd car. I would guess between 40 and 30 bucks a weekend would be a workable budget for parts. No one in Toledo should be buying rear tires.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.