Wiki Posts
Search

O.S. Vspec or Novarossi .21 bf limited?

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2009, 05:38 PM
Tech Prophet

Trader Rating: 96 (100%+)

Originally Posted by JAMMINKRAZY
Been meaning to pick one of those up too, but the price tag hurts. I will give the re11 a try first. I want to have both of them to test anyway.
isn't the re-10 pipe from losi a 2060 copy ? re-11 and re-10 are the copies right ?
Old 05-05-2009, 05:40 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 51 (100%+)

Originally Posted by houston
isn't the re-10 pipe from losi a 2060 copy ? re-11 and re-10 are the copies right ?
I heard the same thing....haven't tested it though. I have a 2060 to use on my Speed....
Old 05-05-2009, 05:46 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Though I have heard that, if you look at a 2060 and re10 side by side they look pretty different. Don't know anything about the internal dimensions but from looking at them, they are diferent pipes.
Old 05-05-2009, 06:38 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 52 (100%+)

everybody thinks they know how to tune an engine but there are only a few who are elite
We all know I'm not one of them

I don't even know how old the 2050 was
Old 05-05-2009, 06:52 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Yeah I'm not too sure that the RE10 looks like the 2060 as close as the RE11 looks like a 2050. I have not had a chance to see them side by side in person but the RE10 is fatter in the center where the 2060 looks like it stays the same diameter the whole length...maybe the internals are similar?! The RE10 is definately longer in length than the JP3, JP4, 086 & 053 I have to the point that I had to cut out my body more to fit it.

I actually ran my trusty Ninja jx21 this weekend with the RE10 on it and liked it a LOT. It is solid everywhere in the powerband. Nice quality especially for only $60 & I like that its not chrome. Can't comment on runtime because I didn't time it. If I see somebody running a 2060 next time at the track, maybe I'll invite them to throw on the RE10 and see how they compare.
Old 05-05-2009, 07:15 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I just broke in my nova bf21 friday and saturday morning. I run the dynamite 086 pipe with it. I raced it saturday night and did well with it. I ran against a couple of vspecs and they were all impressed with my $149 engine. Unless you are above the normal club racing competition the the nova is all you need. My lap times were right there with the vspecs. Driving is the most important out of the 2. Too much power can slow you down. I can buy 2 of these for the price of one vspec. Im by no means knocking the os vspec, its an awesome engine but if its not needed why spend double the money.
Old 05-05-2009, 08:09 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 33 (97%+)

Originally Posted by roadracer43
I just broke in my nova bf21 friday and saturday morning. I run the dynamite 086 pipe with it. I raced it saturday night and did well with it. I ran against a couple of vspecs and they were all impressed with my $149 engine. Unless you are above the normal club racing competition the the nova is all you need. My lap times were right there with the vspecs. Driving is the most important out of the 2. Too much power can slow you down. I can buy 2 of these for the price of one vspec. Im by no means knocking the os vspec, its an awesome engine but if its not needed why spend double the money.
Well around here, there are several regional points series, and even in the sportsman classes, there are some really good drivers. I figure it's always better to have a little too much engine and tone it down, than to not have enough power on tap, and have to push it to the max. I run a 13.5/lipo in my SC10, and some people say thats too much, but I just turn down my throttle epa, and gear it conservatively.
Old 05-05-2009, 11:02 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

A v-spec is definitely the way to go in my opinion. I have a v-spec on my st-rr and it hauls a$$. Im running a jp3, but it doesnt have the low-mid end power im looking for. Your guys' input helps. So the RE10 or RE11 seems like a good pipe to use with v-spec????

Im just getting back into Nitro rc racing so any help is appreciated ...Thanks
Old 05-06-2009, 05:50 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 45 (100%+)

I'd like to add my 2 cents here. I have ran v specs for years. I bought a brand new one to start the season. After 1 1/2 gallons of fuel i started having some tuning issues. Took the motor out and realized the case had a crack in it. On the side right around the motor mounts. Now i really wasn't to upset with this because sometimes these things happen. After reading all the good reviews about the n21bf i thought for $150 I'm going to pick one up and give it a try. WOW am i glad i did! This engine will run with any stock v spec in a buggy. Don't let anyone tell you other wise. I have 2 gallon's on this little beast so far and it's still tight as could be. My v spec's after two gallons i could turn over fairly easy.

Either motor you choose you will probably be happy with. But if your choosing the v spec over the N21BF because you don't think you'll have enough power your making a mistake.
Old 05-06-2009, 07:02 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)
Default Rushing Break-in

Everyone has opinions and here's mine on the last post.....if your Vspec has lost pinch at the 2 gallon mark, you're not properly caring for your engine, PERIOD!

If you said you needed to change the rod or the bearings, I'd say yeah sometimes they do go that early, but the piston and sleeve...NO WAY!!! My Pro Twister Modded Vspec hasn't lost anything pinch-wise at over 6 gallons!!! And as much as Brian does w/ the mod, he isn't changing the alloys of the piston/sleeve nor pinching a brand new engine to mod it!

My engine was heat cycled religiously for the first gallon; a heat gun was used and needed to start her up. I did change to TKO Ceramic rear bearing at the 2 gallon mark (which is also around when I had it modded). At around 4 gallons I replaced the rod and decided to do the crank to and went with Speed versions. I recently thought my engine might be nearing the end of its life, as I was getting pulled by everyone down the front straight. I took it apart and it was beautiful inside, minor residue on the piston head and combustion chamber that wiped off with a paper towel. No slop in the rod so I put here back together to run it on a clean chassis to see if maybe I had a leaky front bearing....no that was good too. So why was I getting pulled on the straight, cuz I had stripped the hex on my rear wheel, effectively giving me a front wheel drive RC8T because of the diff action.

Factory defects do happen but I have yet to have any reliability issues from OS ever.... 2 Vspecs, OS 28XZ, and 3 or 4 OS 18CVRX's and the FS-18 which came stock on my TNX which is on OS produced mill. In fact I revived the engine from my first ever nitro the Kyosho Outlaw Rampage with th OS .12 CZ (or maybe CV, can't remember). This engine is from 1988 and it still runs!

And before I get let me say YES I AM A LOYAL OS FAN!!!!

want to learn tuning?
Old 05-06-2009, 09:03 AM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by marshon50
Everyone has opinions and here's mine on the last post.....if your Vspec has lost pinch at the 2 gallon mark, you're not properly caring for your engine, PERIOD!

If you said you needed to change the rod or the bearings, I'd say yeah sometimes they do go that early, but the piston and sleeve...NO WAY!!! My Pro Twister Modded Vspec hasn't lost anything pinch-wise at over 6 gallons!!! And as much as Brian does w/ the mod, he isn't changing the alloys of the piston/sleeve nor pinching a brand new engine to mod it!

My engine was heat cycled religiously for the first gallon; a heat gun was used and needed to start her up. I did change to TKO Ceramic rear bearing at the 2 gallon mark (which is also around when I had it modded). At around 4 gallons I replaced the rod and decided to do the crank to and went with Speed versions. I recently thought my engine might be nearing the end of its life, as I was getting pulled by everyone down the front straight. I took it apart and it was beautiful inside, minor residue on the piston head and combustion chamber that wiped off with a paper towel. No slop in the rod so I put here back together to run it on a clean chassis to see if maybe I had a leaky front bearing....no that was good too. So why was I getting pulled on the straight, cuz I had stripped the hex on my rear wheel, effectively giving me a front wheel drive RC8T because of the diff action.

Factory defects do happen but I have yet to have any reliability issues from OS ever.... 2 Vspecs, OS 28XZ, and 3 or 4 OS 18CVRX's and the FS-18 which came stock on my TNX which is on OS produced mill. In fact I revived the engine from my first ever nitro the Kyosho Outlaw Rampage with th OS .12 CZ (or maybe CV, can't remember). This engine is from 1988 and it still runs!

And before I get let me say YES I AM A LOYAL OS FAN!!!!

want to learn tuning?
I agree man. My standard v-spec has 8 gallons on it now and it is running as strong as it ever did. Still has great compression and awesome power. Still getting the same runtimes as it did when it was new too! Only thing I did was change bearings to TKO ceramics and replaced the rod at the 5 gallon mark.
Old 05-06-2009, 09:42 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

would you guys say run the 086 with the BF21 over the 053 in a truggy.
I am running the 53 and screams but wondering if I should run the 086?
Would I get better run times?
Old 05-06-2009, 09:53 AM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by bohdi
The nova needs the 086 IMO. Not enough top end out of those engines, but a ton of bottom. You would probably be better off with the 086.
Old 05-06-2009, 11:29 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 52 (100%+)

Originally Posted by bohdi
Get a 7 MM carb insert and learn throttle control..you should increase runtimes by 2+ minutes
Old 05-06-2009, 12:17 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

I run the Thunder Tiger 3-Chamber EFRA 2035 Tuned Pipe on my BF Limited and it works great.

The Limited is capable of run times equal to motors like the V-Spec. Don't ley people tell you they can't. I've done it in a truggy.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.