Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Oval, Larger Scales and More
GT8 Class--buggy-based on road electric! >

GT8 Class--buggy-based on road electric!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree17Likes

GT8 Class--buggy-based on road electric!

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2010, 08:11 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

What are these PMTs? Are they foams? Foams are all i can get to stay on the rim with all the torque/rpm that i have because they are glued so much better..
Old 07-13-2010, 08:18 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 94 (100%+)

Originally Posted by *BBB*
What are these PMTs? Are they foams? Foams are all i can get to stay on the rim with all the torque/rpm that i have because they are glued so much better..
http://www.pmt-tyres.it/
Old 07-13-2010, 08:22 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 94 (100%+)

Originally Posted by rice_man
With 20 different available combinations of shore rating and foam densities (not including different front/rear combinations), what would be your recommendation for our DM-1s running on unprepared asphalt (as seen in the video)? Temperatures that day were about 70-75 degrees and are pretty typical of our so cal weather conditions.
Rice_Man, Im in CA as well... on my gt i ran ipan 45's fr and 40s rear and sometimes 40s all around. Now I'm no ace around a track.. but hopefully that will give you a rough idea of what shores to use in our sunny state
Old 07-13-2010, 08:33 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 112 (100%+)

Thanks Raman - That's the kind of info we need to share. And that may be what we need to get these things hooked up with the Ipanemas. I was running 45's all the way around that day and was maybe 40s would have been the ticket.

Now maybe Jeff can shed some light on the different foams and what they will do for performance.
Old 07-13-2010, 08:52 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

the tires sound great ...who or where can i get grp or pmt like to order some soon?
Old 07-13-2010, 10:03 AM
Tech Regular

Default EMP-6 road

Here's a slightly different way to configure a electric buggy based on road. Wy is 7 lbs,10 oz. Don
Attached Thumbnails GT8 Class--buggy-based on road electric!-p1010001.jpg   GT8 Class--buggy-based on road electric!-p1010002.jpg   GT8 Class--buggy-based on road electric!-p1010003.jpg   GT8 Class--buggy-based on road electric!-p1010004.jpg   GT8 Class--buggy-based on road electric!-p1010005.jpg  

Old 07-13-2010, 10:23 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Jspeed
Regardless of rubber brand tire you use, you won’t get the best possible results from them using the incorrect shore/inserts for the track location & temps.

It hard to believe that using a radial slick tire made from pure & natural Brazilian rubber (not one made from recycled rubber/vinyl or plastic material blends), that has 5 different shore rating availability, 2 different foam insert densities to choose from and they couldn’t provide excellent traction on any track surface or on any type of GT car with our slicks.

Merely saying that a product didn’t work for you, is not a fair to GT racers or the manufacturer, it’s similar to someone stating that your products didn’t work and never gave you the opportunity to find out what they were doing wrong.

If you had or were, an Ipanema dealer in your area, that supported GT racing and our racing slicks, you would see that there’s a lot of reasons why real 1:1 race tire manufacturers insist on using only the best pure Brazilian rubber materials.

Rubber grows wild in Brazil, where does all that other “rubber” come from?

Our Radial GT slicks have won a ton of big GT races over the past 3+ years all across North America, there’s a lot of good reasons for that.
What's hard to believe, the tires I had in my box didn't hook up. What's wrong with that? They've hooked up before, but not that day. Whenever anyone says anything about these tires you imply that they don't know what they're doing or that they're doing something wrong? That's ridiculous! I've recommended Ipanema tires to many people in the past because I think they are good tires.

I ran 45 shore which is in line with the recommendation on the website for our temps (around 80 degrees). What would you have recommended?
Old 07-13-2010, 12:26 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Originally Posted by DLS II
Here's a slightly different way to configure a electric buggy based on road. Wy is 7 lbs,10 oz. Don
That's crazy/different for sure! What motor is that? How does she run? I can keep asking questions if you want. Share some details.
Old 07-13-2010, 12:41 PM
Tech Regular

Default EMP-6 road

The motor is a Rimfire 42-60-600 outrunner. Wt. is 9.5 oz. KV is 600. I'm feeding it 19.6 volts via 6s A123 Li-Ion. So far I've run it in the street. It breaks all 4 tires loose easily and has a good top end-unfortunately I don't have a GPS. The base car is an MP-6. I still need to load the diffs with the proper wt lube. Don
Old 07-13-2010, 01:07 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by teknorc
I ran 45 shore which is in line with the recommendation on the website for our temps (around 80 degrees). What would you have recommended?
Our temp guide page on our website has more than just numbers & temp ranges on it. The great news is that your track doesn’t add anything traction additives and this is excellent for natural rubber tire traction.

Here are few ideas and questions that will help more.

First, what did the tires actually do and when in the run did they do it?

By this I mean, did they start off loose and get somewhat better as the run went on and the rubber heated up?

Did they start off good and loose traction as they warm up?

Both of these questions help determine not only shore for track temps, but for the way your track layout generates heat too.

Every time your car turns, friction generates heat. When real rubber gets “overheated” it looses traction just like real 1:1 racing.

Next up, what does the actual slick surface look like after the run?

This is the greatest indicator of what’s happening to the rubber and how your car’s suspension is working. You’d be surprised at how many racers have “camber” problems and the tires show it by wearing on an edge.

If the slick is riding on its edge most of the rubber is off the ground when it’s needed most and this condition will overheat the part of the slick taking the beating.

The slick’s contact patch should show the majority of its wear in the center.

Another thing the tires will show you is the rubber’s actual condition after the run. “Overheated rubber usually shows “tearing” or “graining” on the contact patch area.

If the car’s camber for your track is correct and the “graining” is in the center of the slick, then the rubber is getting cooked, which signifies shore rating is too soft.

If you find that the car’s suspension is providing an excellent contact patch area wear pattern and there is no sign of overheating on the rubber, then it is very possible that the shore selected could be too hard or the foam insert could be incorrect for your track.

Our medium foam inserts do a few things to our slicks. They allow the rubber to generate greater heat, they allow it to build quicker because of higher friction, they allow for more of a contact patch area. Softer foam increase rubber wear rates too.

Some of our customers prefer our medium inserts because they offer a wider “tuning window” and this helps them dial-in easier.

Once all of this has been determined for your track, GT racers won’t have to guess about what will work best for them too.

This is why we feel it is very important that our dealers are GT racers too. Our better dealers all use our products and this provide us with the best feedback possible to help their racer customers.

Hope it all helps & sorry for the long post.

Last edited by Jspeed; 07-13-2010 at 01:28 PM.
Old 07-13-2010, 01:15 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Anyone here have tried a conversion of Hotbodies D8T Truggy or Ve8 Buggy to GT ?

thanks in advance,

Pato Concha
Chile - Southamerica
Old 07-13-2010, 01:41 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 112 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Jspeed

Hope it all helps & sorry for the long post.
No need for apologies. This is the type of info that should be in this thread.
Old 07-13-2010, 01:46 PM
Tech Elite

Thank you very much!
Old 07-13-2010, 02:53 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Exactly. Thanks!
Old 07-13-2010, 03:00 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by teknorc
Exactly. Thanks!
No problem, now if you can answer some of the questions I posted, we can figure out the best combos for your track and GT racers in your area will have all the traction they'll need.

Now if we can get a good dealer in California to support Ipanema products, racers will enjoy the quality tires that have won almost every big GT race in North America for the past 3+ years too.

All the best!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.