Wiki Posts
Search

Team Associated TC5

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2007, 07:42 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Sean B.
This is the part that REALLY sucks.
I know you guys are all about making a buck, but why do companies (AE is famous for this) work on a car to get it dialed and then when it's time for production they cheap out on the parts (especially the bearings) ; yet charge a premium price.

And then, maybe a year down the road they finally release the "good" "Factory" parts and charge an even more premium price

Why not just make a good car and sell it?
Obviously there will be rolling changes to improve the design over time; but things like aluminum hex's instead of plastic, sway-bars, or any of the aluminum or trick parts that you use in the prototypes, but leave off the production car

You got me the last two times AE
no more no more
The TC5 will, as far as I know, come as a FT version from the beginning.
Old 01-18-2007, 07:58 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Sean B.
This is the part that REALLY sucks.
I know you guys are all about making a buck, but why do companies (AE is famous for this) work on a car to get it dialed and then when it's time for production they cheap out on the parts (especially the bearings) ; yet charge a premium price.

And then, maybe a year down the road they finally release the "good" "Factory" parts and charge an even more premium price
The FT TC4 came race ready from the box... the list of available add-ons was very short...

1) One-way assembly (if needed)
2) Spool (if needed)
3) caster block options (2* x 6*)
4) battery strap option (if preferred)
5) rear-toe block options (2* x 3*)
6) ITF chassis set (if needed)
7) VCS2 shock upgrade (if desired)

i think thats it... that was all that could be added to a box stock FT TC4. doesnt seem like a huge list... and for certain applications some of these don't even apply...
Old 01-18-2007, 08:26 AM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by Rick Hohwart
To clarify, the top plate I use is the standard plate that will come with the car. A more flexible plate (thinner, different design) could be used for asphalt or rubber on carpet if more traction was necessary.

Thanks Rick,

I thought you were using a stiffer top plate for the carpet races and that the stock top plate could be used for asphalt or rubber on carpet ...my bad...Now I know and knowing is half the battle.

Later
Kevin Boyle

Last edited by Kevin Boyle; 01-18-2007 at 08:56 AM.
Old 01-18-2007, 08:46 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Kevin Boyle
Thanks Rick,

I thought you were using stiffer top plate for the carpet races and that the stock top plate could be used for asphalt or rubber on carpet ...my bad...Now I know and knowing is half the battle.

Later
Kevin Boyle
Specifications could change and I am not 100% sure of the how the car will come equipped. But I am almost certain that the car will come equipped with a carpet spec (stiff) top deck.
Old 01-18-2007, 09:49 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Rick Hohwart
The TC5 will, as far as I know, come as a FT version from the beginning.
Let's hope so. Later AE can introduce the "budget-friendly" TEAM car with fiberglass chassis and so on...
Old 01-18-2007, 07:55 PM
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: 81 (100%+)

What about a tub type of chassis like Hot Bodies sells for their Cyclone? Would you prefer that over Fiberglass or whatever material is like on the T2R? Just curious.

Last Tuesday at the track there was a (carpet) 007 running rubber tires at the track and it pretty much dominated all the other rubber tire cars there. So for those that think they absolutely need to get a special chassis to run rubber tires on carpet just try the car as it comes. You might be surprised. Asphalt...that might be another story though.

Kraig
KT Hobbies
Old 01-19-2007, 03:10 AM
Tech Initiate

Hi all,

Rick dont forget me and the other Guys here in europe. I need:

- Solid Axle (Spool) MultiDiff???
- more Flex in the Top Deck, or Top Deck where u can choose how Stiff it is.
- 5 Cell Chassie

i think thats all :-)

Greetings,
Marcel
Old 01-19-2007, 04:41 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by ShaunMac
Let's hope so. Later AE can introduce the "budget-friendly" TEAM car with fiberglass chassis and so on...
Most of all; Letīs hope itīs a winner!
Old 01-19-2007, 05:06 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Asphalt rubber need a fairly flex chassis. Of course you can run carpet spec chassis on asphalt rubber, but it would be hard to setup, and margin of good setup is very narrow. For pro driver and those who has tons of time trying setup it might be ok, but for most of us weekend racer it's a bad idea.

From photos I collected, the chassis probably too stiff for loose asphalt. 2.5mm chassis and 2mm 2F is best for loose asphalt.

Btw,
From photos, it looks like motor mount is seperated piece with left rear bulkhead. Anyone can confirm they are seperated or one piece?
Old 01-19-2007, 05:25 AM
Tech Initiate

Is there a confirmed name yet for the vehicle yet? And will it be designed for asphalt or carpet? Sorry, but reading through 49 pages would take hours.

John
Old 01-19-2007, 05:52 AM
Tech Rookie

AE has an ad on the back cover of the RCCA magazine that came in the mail thi sweek which features a black car (so no details) sitting in what is made to appear a warehouse with "TC5" and "Area 51" written on the back wall. So it appears that is the name they are running with.

I can't wait to order one and see the difference between shaft and belt carpet club racing.
Old 01-19-2007, 06:00 AM
Tech Initiate

Hopefully we'll see something before or at rc expo march 31 / april 1..
Old 01-19-2007, 06:19 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by ttso
For pro driver and those who has tons of time trying setup it might be ok, but for most of us weekend racer it's a bad idea.
Well, thatīs not realy true.
At the DHI cup, there was 2 rounds of practice. On a new lay-out that no-one have tryed before, and with 200 drivers, the traction was very different each round. From there, you have 5 qualifiers, and 3 of them counted.

You can never test or find a perfect set-up at any practice, while practicing at home.
Testing on other track, with another carpet, in different humidity/heat, where other tire additives work, is far from optimizing for any other race.
Usually, itīs about learning the carasteristcs, so you are able to adapt quickly during the race.
So the basics need to be right from the start, and the process for that is called development. From that on, all drivers, no matter if it is a Pro or novis, need a simple car.

Last edited by Anders Myrberg; 01-19-2007 at 06:37 AM.
Old 01-19-2007, 06:44 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Anders Myrberg
Well, thatīs not realy true.
At the DHI cup, there was 2 rounds of practice. On a new lay-out that no-one have tryed before, and with 200 drivers, the traction was very different each round. From there, you have 5 qualifiers, and 3 of them counted.

You can never test or find a perfect set-up at any practice, while practicing at home.
Testing on other track, with another carpet, in different humidity/heat, where other tire additives work, is far from optimizing for any other race.
Usually, itīs about learning the carasteristcs, so you are able to adapt quickly during the race.
I do agree with you the surface change all the time and it's all about adapting at the end. However if you run no-flex chassis on loose asphalt, the margin for good setting is really really small and very hard to find, sometimes cant even get one (setting is right in part of track, but poor in others). And running flex chassis on carpet is same troublesome as well.

Instead of spend time/effort to correct the problem cause by chassis, it would be much easier to use right chassis type for different surface, and spend the valuable time on fine tune setting.
Old 01-19-2007, 07:22 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by ttso
I do agree with you the surface change all the time and it's all about adapting at the end. However if you run no-flex chassis on loose asphalt, the margin for good setting is really really small and very hard to find, sometimes cant even get one (setting is right in part of track, but poor in others). And running flex chassis on carpet is same troublesome as well.

Instead of spend time/effort to correct the problem cause by chassis, it would be much easier to use right chassis type for different surface, and spend the valuable time on fine tune setting.
Well, yes and no.
Because it does not always work according to logic. Sometimes a softer car is better even if you run foam, and oposite you can sometimes run stiffer settings with rubber.
Guidlines are OK, but please have in mind one of the most important things, and that is that knowledge about your car, not your friends, or competitors, no matter brand, is the key to the success. Ability to think complex, and being able to alanyze, in order to quickly find the right way to a better set-up after one practice run. Yes, indeed, you need a good basic set up, but have in mind that itīs what work for you, thatīs count. And you hardly never do that by looking at other, and there set-up sheets. The trick is to have them asking for yours Then, you are at least one step ahead of them

Last edited by Anders Myrberg; 01-19-2007 at 08:55 AM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.