Search
Like Tree26Likes

3 racing new F1

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2012, 11:47 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 51 (100%+)
Default MD-FGX

First off, thank you to all who purchased kits. I have completely sold out of the first batch. I am currently running another batch and should have more kits available Thursday.

We had a great day of practice and testing at Timezone on Sunday. Mark Day and myself were running the complete kit. I set up my car with a shorty Revtech lipo, inline esc, and no front weight. The total car weight was 1226 grams. Just about 180 grams lighter than with a standard pack and front weight. Mark was running a standard lipo and the front weight. I was able to shave off another .3 seconds a lap. When I started this process a few months back on the same track I was just trying to get 15 flat laps. My fast laps at the time were 15.1s. Sunday I got my first 14 flat lap and was doing
14.1-14.2 all day.

Erik was running the stock chassis and a Mckune Design FGX Top Deck. For the first time in two months he was able to break 15 second laps and got his first 14.8 lap.

For those of you who are going to Nationals, Mark Day and Kody Knudtson will be there running MD-FGX's.

The press release came out today on www.redrc.net

Notes:
1. If you run the aftermarket aluminum steering with my top deck you need to make sure to do a few steps. Make sure when your servo is centered it is perfectly perpendicular to the servo case. Then shorten the tie rod until the steering linkage is parallel and centered. Now adjust your steering turnbuckles until your tires are straight. Measure your left and right steering turnbuckles. At this point they should be exactly the same. If not something is not centered and adjust until they are. This will result in the same steering throw left to right. I am working on a carbon extension for the aftermarket linkage that will make this less critical.
2. If you run the front weight you will need to turn the two front screws upside down. Without the weight the screw heads show and the nuts are down.
Attached Thumbnails 3 racing new F1-fgx-shorty-lipo.jpg  

Last edited by Troy Mckune; 03-07-2012 at 09:41 AM.
Old 03-06-2012, 12:08 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default MD FGX ?

Will any motor with 35/35 fit the MD-FGX.
Old 03-06-2012, 12:19 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Originally Posted by shoe
Will any motor with 35/35 fit the MD-FGX.
Yes, It moves the upper deck post forward out of the way.
Old 03-06-2012, 05:28 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Got mine today. Only complaint is that it went together to easily and I wasn't able to slow down and take pics. Done in 45 minutes. Robert had his on track today. Little info but was faster than his f103.5. Saying a lot.
Old 03-06-2012, 06:59 PM
Tech Champion

Moved the electronics to their new home and set the droop on mine.

One note: The body posts are definitely 1mm or so shorter. I had to file the front body post hole to get the nose to seat.
Old 03-06-2012, 07:23 PM
Tech Fanatic

I haven't run my FGX since I broke a couple front suspensions just practicing but have been watching the aftermarket pieces as they come out. Guess it's time to start putting it back together again! From the looks of things to come, there won't be much left of the original car.
Old 03-06-2012, 08:47 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by vabroom
I haven't run my FGX since I broke a couple front suspensions just practicing but have been watching the aftermarket pieces as they come out. Guess it's time to start putting it back together again! From the looks of things to come, there won't be much left of the original car.
Not much left at all but it really makes the car very enjoyable to drive. From what I have read all of the conversions seem to be very durable and a lot of fun to drive. The one you pick will really be up to personal preference. I picked the rabbit and love it but this new conversion looks really good. I'm actually thinking of getting a second fgx just to try it out.
Old 03-06-2012, 08:49 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Got my McKune fgx on the track today and was very impressed. I was expecting slower lap times since our carpet has not been raced on for two weeks. Big off road race over the weekend so the carpet has seen very little use lately. And has been covered to keep it clean.

My previous best lap time was with an f103.5 that I have been tuning and racing for months. On the current layout my best was 12.1 seconds. And that was during our nationals warm up race so traction was better than usual. To my suprise during my first battery pack with the MD FGX I pulled off back to back 12.0's! I take that as a really good result and can't wait for racing this weekend and the extra grip that we enjoy on race days.

Go back to the pits to grab another pack and make some adjustments. Car was not as good but still very fast and I end up breaking a stock front upper arm. By the time it was fixed it was lights out and practice was over.

Now I just need my McKune delrin upper arms and this car will be perfect!
Old 03-06-2012, 11:01 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by racer robert
Got my McKune fgx on the track today and was very impressed. I was expecting slower lap times since our carpet has not been raced on for two weeks. Big off road race over the weekend so the carpet has seen very little use lately. And has been covered to keep it clean.

My previous best lap time was with an f103.5 that I have been tuning and racing for months. On the current layout my best was 12.1 seconds. And that was during our nationals warm up race so traction was better than usual. To my suprise during my first battery pack with the MD FGX I pulled off back to back 12.0's! I take that as a really good result and can't wait for racing this weekend and the extra grip that we enjoy on race days.

Go back to the pits to grab another pack and make some adjustments. Car was not as good but still very fast and I end up breaking a stock front upper arm. By the time it was fixed it was lights out and practice was over.

Now I just need my McKune delrin upper arms and this car will be perfect!
^^ this makes me so happy. I cant wait to run mine this weekend. I have 2 sets of upper arms en route via TQ, plus a bunch of little bits for both the MFX and the F1R. I'm so ready for this car to be what I envisioned it being at the beginning. The fragility is almost all gone. This thing is a race car now.

Last edited by texastc; 03-07-2012 at 01:52 AM. Reason: better pic
Old 03-07-2012, 05:56 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 28 (97%+)

sounds promising! will order one on the next batch!
Old 03-07-2012, 07:50 AM
Tech Champion

McKune Chassis Update: Car 2 is mostly done. I have to redress the motor wiring and get some much shorter sensor cables. I went back to the stock steering linkage and servo location. I originally had the battery at 90* for weight bias, but when I did the install with battery forward and the new upper deck, the inline layout worked just fine. The balancing port for shorty battery access lines up just right. The weight bias before and after was still about the same. I did the rear bulkhead/motor mount upgrade while I was at it thinking that might help keep the diff bearing carriers more stable. I haven't done the grinding on the motor mounts for larger pinions yet. On our smallish track with Car 1, I was not hitting full speed until 2/3 of the way down the 70' straight into the sweeper running the 35 spur with a 27 pinion. I can get a 29 in without grinding on the mount.
Old 03-07-2012, 08:09 AM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

link didn't work

http://www.redrc.net

Originally Posted by Troy Mckune
First off, thank you to all who purchased kits. I have completely sold out of the first batch. I am currently running another batch and should have more kits available Thursday.

We had a great day of practice and testing at Timezone on Sunday. Mark Day and myself were running the complete kit. I set up my car with a shorty Revtech lipo, inline esc, and no front weight. The total car weight was 1226 grams. Just about 180 grams lighter than with a standard pack and front weight. Mark was running a standard lipo and the front weight. I was able to shave off another .3 seconds a lap. When I started this process a few months back on the same track I was just trying to get 15 flat laps. My fast laps at the time were 15.1s. Sunday I got my first 14 flat lap and was doing
14.1-14.2 all day.

Erik was running the stock chassis and a Mckune Design FGX Top Deck. For the first time in two months he was able to break 15 second laps and got his first 14.8 lap.

For those of you who are going to Nationals, Mark Day and Kody Knudtson will be there running MD-FGX's.

The press release came out today on www.redrc.com

Notes:
1. If you run the aftermarket aluminum steering with my top deck you need to make sure to do a few steps. Make sure when your servo is centered it is perfectly perpendicular to the servo case. Then shorten the tie rod until the steering linkage is parallel and centered. Now adjust your steering turnbuckles until your tires are straight. Measure your left and right steering turnbuckles. At this point they should be exactly the same. If not something is not centered and adjust until they are. This will result in the same steering throw left to right. I am working on a carbon extension for the aftermarket linkage that will make this less critical.
2. If you run the front weight you will need to turn the two front screws upside down. Without the weight the screw heads show and the nuts are down.
Old 03-07-2012, 09:49 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

[quote=hkbruin;10434598]link didn't work

just google red rc and there it is in all its glory !!
Old 03-08-2012, 05:07 AM
Tech Master

I know we started this discussion a few pages back but I was never clear on the verdict. Ho well do the shimizu slick tires work on the fgx? I've been using the grooved soft tires but sometimes the rears seem to have too much grip. Maybe I just need to tune a little more because I'm really just starting to see what this car can really do but I was wondering about tire options. Are the grooved tires the best or is there something else?
Old 03-08-2012, 05:45 AM
Tech Champion

I liked my Ride Medium rear slicks, but the front mediums were super stiff and didn't work at all. The mediums pushed so bad the car was not driveable. I have a set of Ride soft slicks ready to try. Hopefully they will generate a little more temp and grip better.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.