Like Tree5Likes

Tamiya TB-03

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2012, 09:57 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default TB 03 is the choice

Originally Posted by maxepower
It's interesting you say that because with the set-up I have on the TB03 doesn't seem to rotate through the corners as quick. The TA05 rotates very quickly. I'm running a spool on both cars but the TB-03 pulls very hard out of the corners which can give the impression that it is rotating very quickly but it's just the responsive drive train with shaft that occurs when you pull the trigger coming out of the corner. I try not to go full throttle until the car is going straight so that is what may cause the mid-corner push for me.
The TB-03 has always seemed quicker but the TA-05 is easy to drive in the corners and very consistant.
I'm confused on what block combination you said to try in the front. Right now I'm using C blocks in the front with slight kick-up in the front block of .5mm. I might take the spacer out of the front and allow the car to dive more into the corners. Then maybe move the steering turnbuckle forward hole to increase the response even more.
Saturday I'm running carpet so this could change everything because all I said about the cars handling was based on outdoor asphalt. I'm still experimenting with tire and insert combo for carpet, so this may change my thinking on set-up.
I hope all this makes sense to you. I'll let you know my results after Saturday. Then maybe back to asphalt on Sunday!
Isn't RC cars a blast!
I run with Max as often as I can, and has been too long since my last visit to Tamiya . I have gone through two TA-05's and a TB-03. After rebuilding the TB with every hop-up with limited exceptions, and building up the car with fresh suspension, spool, shock rebuild kit, etc, this car was top-shelf. I am running a Novak GTB with the old SS 17.5 BL system. This should not be competitive at all, but I think the car has earned its respect on the track.

The question in my mind is what will the TB-04 be like? The downside of the TB is the weight. I am running all alloy hardware, and even with a lighter servo, and a high C low capacity battery, the car is a pig on the scale. Not a big deal because I get close to the minimum, and the car is still very responsive. I'd like to be able to drive the car with both one-ways on 17.5 power. Having brakes gives a lot of confidence, but one-ways force a smooth line.

I have since sold all of my belt cars, and I even buck the mini-system by driving an M-06 while all others drive the M05. Maybe our passion for the TB-03 is a cult calling, but the car works, and put me on the GT-3 podium a couple years back at TCS.

See ya.
Old 05-08-2012, 11:49 PM
Tech Master

Exclamation TA-05 VS TB-03

The TB-03 likes carpet. Although my lap times were almost identical on the TA-05. I had to drive carefully not to hit boards and avoid traction rolling on the end of the straight and on the inside straight. This was just my lack of experience of carpet. I know what to do for next time.
This weekend is back to asphalt. So, my next experiement is side by side racing with both cars. My son and I are going to run both cars and see who is faster. Then we will switch cars and run again and see where our driving styles complement each car. This should be interesting. My son a Past champion in TCS so he will give a lot of info on which car is better at Tamiya.
To be continued.........
Just my 2$
Old 05-09-2012, 06:25 PM
Tech Apprentice

Default TB03 Setup

I hear what yr saying.
My advice probably isnt much use as we run on a very specific/different track. Its quite a high speed bumpy asphalt circuit, and we run 21.5.

I run the older longer arms that used to be on the 415 up front and 2x 1x block and a 4 mm hex. It helps smooth the steering at high speed, and I run a gooey front diff, i use the tamiya silver grease on the balls and do it up tight.
I just loose to much mid corner speed with a spool. I win every race but we have a small club and a lot of the younger guys are still learning.

Ive run it with 13.5 boosted before and it went well to, I dont notice any torque steer like others say they do.
Old 05-15-2012, 11:23 PM
Tech Master

Exclamation RE: TB-03 vs. TA05 V2

TB-03 can be very smooth but too hard on the throttle coming out of the corner it can be a little on the edge of breaking free but it doesn't really. I really am surprised how consistant it really is. I let some racers will little experience and racers with a lot experience drive my car. They both were impresssed how easy the car was to drive. I was also using very worn Tamiya B3's and it was still a pleasure to drive. But, none of them drove the car real hard and in race situations you can tend to overdrive the car and that's where it can be a problem.
My son drove the car much better than I could because he won't overdrive, he understands the limits when turning in and out of corners, I still tend push the car too hard in the corners and that gets me in trouble. If I were doing IFMAR quaifiying I would probably do some killer laps but when it's time to run mains my trigger finger may get the best of me.
Conclusion, I will go back to the TA-05 V2. Not to say it's a better car just fits my driving style better! Although, I still am going to carpet again this weekend and I'm giving the TB-03 another shot!
Not quite ready to give it up!
Just my 2$
Old 07-21-2012, 11:17 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Hiya, am considering getting a runner for bashing/racing on dusty asphalt so I think sealed gearbox is a must. The TB-03 looks like a good candidate but I can't seem to find the TB-03R or TB-03D as I do not need a body and I think the R is better value? Also any news of a "TB-04" as the TB-03 is over 3 years old?

Thanks for any advice!
Old 07-29-2012, 04:22 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Originally Posted by stocker
Hiya, am considering getting a runner for bashing/racing on dusty asphalt so I think sealed gearbox is a must. The TB-03 looks like a good candidate but I can't seem to find the TB-03R or TB-03D as I do not need a body and I think the R is better value? Also any news of a "TB-04" as the TB-03 is over 3 years old?

Thanks for any advice!
TB03R and TB03D are special edition, they only manufacture X number of them, if they run out, then that's that... sometimes however they do reproduce, you do need to have to look really hard... Have you tried ebay, I think there may be still some from Hong Kong.

As for the car, they give you some hop up. Not necessary that it's better, but it does make the car looks better.

BTW, I've got a TB03R NIB for sale. PM me if you're interested.

Last edited by yobouno; 07-29-2012 at 04:32 PM.
Old 07-29-2012, 04:29 PM
Tech Regular

Setup Help.

Can someone help me with my TB-03 setup? I'm running it for VTA (Vintage Trans-Am) class with controlled tyres, bodies and speedy.

My car seems to drift when it enters the corner. Or oversteer if I punch in to early and end up with a spin. Please don't advise tyres because there is only one type of tyres you can run on VTA.

My current setup
Front camber :+1'
Front toe : +2'
Rear camber : +2'
Rear toe: +2'

Installed one way front, and R-Spec Oil Filled gear diff. Using 3Racing Graphite chassis.
Old 07-30-2012, 12:42 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by yobouno
Setup Help.

Can someone help me with my TB-03 setup? I'm running it for VTA (Vintage Trans-Am) class with controlled tyres, bodies and speedy.

My car seems to drift when it enters the corner. Or oversteer if I punch in to early and end up with a spin. Please don't advise tyres because there is only one type of tyres you can run on VTA.

My current setup
Front camber :+1'
Front toe : +2'
Rear camber : +2'
Rear toe: +2'

Installed one way front, and R-Spec Oil Filled gear diff. Using 3Racing Graphite chassis.
Ciao Yobouno,

first of all try with front solid axel or diff, then are you using push road front damper, or not?, if you are using push road did you shim the lever with 2/3 mm the front end?

Ciao
Max
Old 07-31-2012, 08:01 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by mtaddei
Ciao Yobouno,

first of all try with front solid axel or diff, then are you using push road front damper, or not?, if you are using push road did you shim the lever with 2/3 mm the front end?

Ciao
Max
Hi Max,

Thanks for the diff advise...

what do you mean by push road damper?

I'm using Tamiya TRF damper with IFS setup.

ciao
Old 08-05-2012, 06:53 PM
Tech Addict

Hi, does anyone have any experience using the spec-R gear diff with a 13.5T on low traction asphalt? Will be upgrading to alloy outdrives and spur holder and am considering switching to gear diff as well but just unsure about it's reliability. Or should I just stick to a upgraded ball diff using ceremic balls and TRF502 gear?

Last edited by stocker; 08-05-2012 at 07:42 PM.
Old 08-05-2012, 07:29 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 8 (90%+)

Originally Posted by stocker
Hi, does anyone have any experience using the spec-R gear diff with a 13.5T on low traction asphalt? Will be upgrading to allow outdrives and am considering it but just unsure about it's reliability. Or should I just stick to a upgraded ball diff using ceremic balls and TRF502 gear?
I have been using mine for a while but with 17.5 on high traction carpet and asphalt. I'm a clumsy driver. The outdrive is still in good shape. However, I recall the outdrive surface is a bit rough. I had to polish it so it didn't eat the plastic blade. No leaks at all using lightweight oil (70wt shock oil) and 300k wt.
Old 08-06-2012, 07:37 PM
Tech Addict

Thanks! Guess i should be ok if I just run blinky 13.5. Guess for low traction, i should be using even thinner oils?

Originally Posted by TenzoR
I have been using mine for a while but with 17.5 on high traction carpet and asphalt. I'm a clumsy driver. The outdrive is still in good shape. However, I recall the outdrive surface is a bit rough. I had to polish it so it didn't eat the plastic blade. No leaks at all using lightweight oil (70wt shock oil) and 300k wt.
Old 08-07-2012, 03:19 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by yobouno
Hi Max,

Thanks for the diff advise...

what do you mean by push road damper?

I'm using Tamiya TRF damper with IFS setup.

ciao
CIao yobouno,
this evening i'll check in my garage if i still have a setup sheet, pls send me your email via pm.

Ciao
Max
Old 08-15-2012, 04:30 AM
Tech Regular

are the trf502x diff gears better than the tb evo V ones? what are the differences as I am going to order some extra diff gears but Don't know which one to get
Old 08-17-2012, 12:50 PM
Tech Rookie

Hey guys,

Any of you have DIY images on how to fit yokomos FCD's on TBevo5's? Active hobby ones are crap.

Any info/images would help. Thanks!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.