Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default 418

Originally Posted by Ray Kindstrom
Looking for a 418. If anyone is looking please let me know. Thanks
Sent you a PM.
Old 04-02-2015, 01:13 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Will the 419 gear diff fit in the 418? What is the difference between the two gear diff sets?
Old 04-02-2015, 02:00 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Originally Posted by vadersing
Will the 419 gear diff fit in the 418? What is the difference between the two gear diff sets?
yes it will fit.

the differences are;
- larger oil volume
- more coarse internal gears (different ratio of planetary to spider)
- different material for internal gears ("smoother" plastic)
- symmetrical outdrives
- bushing/bearing for outdrives, not relying on casing only
- case screws take a normal 1.5mm hex!!
- its black
- they leak more easily. have to be much more precise when building.
Old 04-02-2015, 09:19 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Originally Posted by cplus
yes it will fit.

the differences are;
- larger oil volume
- more coarse internal gears (different ratio of planetary to spider)
- different material for internal gears ("smoother" plastic)
- symmetrical outdrives
- bushing/bearing for outdrives, not relying on casing only
- case screws take a normal 1.5mm hex!!
- its black
- they leak more easily. have to be much more precise when building.
Thanks!
Old 05-04-2015, 10:55 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 165 (100%+)

I just acquired a used TRF418 and have been going over the chassis to check bearings, settings, etc to be sure it's ready to race. This will be my 17.5 blinky chassis and I'm hoping for good things.

One area has me puzzled, the lipo battery retention. The stock kit uses bolts with spacers to keep the lipo clear of the belts in the middle and plastic forward and aft blocks to keep it from moving front to back.

What I don't see is anything that keeps the lipo from sliding out the side of the chassis. All of my other sedans have had L shaped plastic or graphite pieces that keep the lipo on the chassis, but this one has nothing. Am I supposed to reply on the battery tape for this?
Old 05-04-2015, 11:45 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by SteveM
I just acquired a used TRF418 and have been going over the chassis to check bearings, settings, etc to be sure it's ready to race. This will be my 17.5 blinky chassis and I'm hoping for good things.

One area has me puzzled, the lipo battery retention. The stock kit uses bolts with spacers to keep the lipo clear of the belts in the middle and plastic forward and aft blocks to keep it from moving front to back.

What I don't see is anything that keeps the lipo from sliding out the side of the chassis. All of my other sedans have had L shaped plastic or graphite pieces that keep the lipo on the chassis, but this one has nothing. Am I supposed to reply on the battery tape for this?
The tape is more than sufficient to hold the battery in. Never had any issues with the tape - had more issues with the servo mounts/screws obscuring the tape slots.

I would strongly recommend disposing of the kit chassis as soon as you get the chance. I switched to Samix carbon and the car was massively improved. It also has a more conventional battery mounting system, if such things are important to you!
Old 05-04-2015, 11:54 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 38 (100%+)

Yes I agree with the Samix carbon chassis. I share the same view with you regarding having some kind of "L" shaped pieces to secure the battery.

Samix has those battery tabs. It comes with their carbon fiber chassis upgrade.
Attached Thumbnails Tamiya TRF418-418-6004s_1_2.jpg   Tamiya TRF418-user197765_pic29444_1426246654.jpg  
Old 05-04-2015, 11:55 AM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by sosidge
The tape is more than sufficient to hold the battery in. Never had any issues with the tape - had more issues with the servo mounts/screws obscuring the tape slots.

I would strongly recommend disposing of the kit chassis as soon as you get the chance. I switched to Samix carbon and the car was massively improved. It also has a more conventional battery mounting system, if such things are important to you!
I've seen the Samix conversion chassis with the traditional battery retainers, but at $200 USD plus shipping it just isn't affordable.
Old 05-04-2015, 11:59 AM
Tech Elite

I've seen the Samix conversion chassis with the traditional battery retainers, but at $200 USD plus shipping it just isn't affordable.
Sir have a look at this.

http://www.rcsamix.com/index.php/for...version-2.html

$59.99 + your choice of shipping.

Goodluck!
Old 05-04-2015, 02:11 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 40 (100%+)

Originally Posted by SagadSetup
Sir have a look at this.

Goodluck!
Is the chassis alone going do the trick or do I need to get the whole conversion kit? I have 2 418 running blinky 17.5 and mod 5.5. My mod car doesn't handle too bad, but my stock car is struggling with corner speed since I moved from my 417's. I have been running Tamiya for quite sometime and currently debating to try an Awesomatix in stock.
Old 05-04-2015, 02:37 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by SagadSetup
Sir have a look at this.

Goodluck!
PM sent
Old 05-04-2015, 05:15 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by sosidge
For the longest time I have debated whether or not to get the Samix carbon chassis. From what I've been told, the stock chassis is better if I'm racing on high grip carpet in 17.5 or 21.5 blinky because it's stiffer and won't flex as much.

Since you have noticed a huge improvement I would like to know if this is on asphalt or on indoor carpet?
Old 05-04-2015, 06:56 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by joech
Is the chassis alone going do the trick or do I need to get the whole conversion kit? I have 2 418 running blinky 17.5 and mod 5.5. My mod car doesn't handle too bad, but my stock car is struggling with corner speed since I moved from my 417's. I have been running Tamiya for quite sometime and currently debating to try an Awesomatix in stock.
I wish I could answer your question sir. I leave that to the experts. I do believe that there is a review on the 418 Samix upgrade by Kentech.

http://kentech.blogs.se/2014/04/25/s...-kit-18305523/

And here's another review:

https://fiveeight0sixsix.wordpress.c...tamiya-trf418/

And here:

http://www.rctech.net/forum/electric...trf418-92.html
Old 05-05-2015, 10:07 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by jdawg81
For the longest time I have debated whether or not to get the Samix carbon chassis. From what I've been told, the stock chassis is better if I'm racing on high grip carpet in 17.5 or 21.5 blinky because it's stiffer and won't flex as much.

Since you have noticed a huge improvement I would like to know if this is on asphalt or on indoor carpet?
Haven't run the conversion on asphalt yet (car was OK with the kit chassis on asphalt) but I have run it on medium/low grip carpet and the car is spot on (whereas it was completely undriveable on the kit chassis).

I know there is a lot of talk about how a stiff chassis is better on high grip however I have yet to see any real evidence for this, certainly on rubber tyres. Most of the racers I know couldn't cope with the aluminium chassis when they were trendy and went back to carbon soon enough.
Old 06-05-2015, 09:28 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 153 (100%+)

can you convert the 418 to 419 specs?
with chassis, motor mount rigid sus mount and top deck?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.