Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree2Likes

Tamiya TRF418

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2014, 10:39 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 45 (100%+)

When the 418 came out, I didn't have any swaybar choices so the TA06 bars it is and it worked out great for me.
Now that a swaybar set has been released, I can install the 418 set back (TAMIYA 42281).
Old 07-05-2014, 10:57 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

Originally Posted by cplus
Really understanding what to tone down or alter for the lower grip/speed is the element most are missing too.

We need Gilles to start posting again to explain why he moves his rear inner camber link up by 0.5mm* from Gran Canaria to Luxembourg (for example) and what effect it actually has and how it helped.
I can answer that one. Changing shims under the upper tie rods has a small effect on camber, and a big change on the instant center of the chassis.

Adding height moves the instant away from the centerline and makes the car softer in roll. Removing height moves the instant center closer to the centerline and makes the car lean less.

It's a subtle change to change how much mid corner roll you have. You change it because a spring change is too drastic, or unwanted.
Old 07-05-2014, 11:17 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

From RedRC's writeup on ETS regarding the 418:

Running a new car this weekend, which features ‘a lot of chassis changes’ and a new rear gear diff design, he said the team have made a lot of progress and that is reflected in their new found pace.
Old 07-05-2014, 11:49 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by syndr0me
That will explain the big turnaround in performance. Wonder when us mere mortals will get a chance to try the parts... Tamiya on track for world title number 6?
Old 07-05-2014, 12:47 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by sosidge
That will explain the big turnaround in performance. Wonder when us mere mortals will get a chance to try the parts... Tamiya on track for world title number 6?
So what's wrong with the current car?
Chassis change significant enough to skip X and straight to 419...
New gear diff probably like the evo6 design
Old 07-05-2014, 02:44 PM
Tech Elite

What's "wrong" is that the chassis is too stiff, probably because Tamiya have used too-good quality materials - the dimensions match rival cars but the result lacks the required flex. My car has always gone better with screws removed, but I'm never happy removing screws. Personally speaking I'm happy with the diff (after a little work) so curious as to how the evo6 differs.
Old 07-05-2014, 03:31 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by sosidge
What's "wrong" is that the chassis is too stiff, probably because Tamiya have used too-good quality materials - the dimensions match rival cars but the result lacks the required flex. My car has always gone better with screws removed, but I'm never happy removing screws. Personally speaking I'm happy with the diff (after a little work) so curious as to how the evo6 differs.
The Evo 6 has a totally different diff due to it being a shaft driven car (building one now) but its fundamentally the same as the current 418 diff.

From the few pics from the latest ETS round I have seen the car looks pretty much the same. (Bulkheads, arms motor mount etc) Obviously the diff could all be internal and be an easy replacement for current racers, as would a softer chassis weave.

I race on carpet so a more flexible car isn't really what I would want, my 418 has been exceptional for me and provided the best winning streak I've had in all my years of racing. So much so, that its the car that the other top guys are either buying (when in stock) or waiting to see what the next revision is.

However I run the opposite of theTRF guys, carpet and 17.5 blinky so the revisions for them sound like it's making a big difference.
Old 07-05-2014, 05:27 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Originally Posted by JoeyE
Yup, really.
Ah, you're using the old mount arrangement.

I just lined them up a while back and thought "no chance"

Interesting damper fixing arrangement you've got there too - what's the story there?
Old 07-05-2014, 05:39 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by syndr0me
Interestingly, Jilles kept running the standard car for most of the day....

"For the final qualifier he will switch to a similar set-up to that being used by Rheinard. Having run a pretty standard car so far he will also run some prototype parts which he said Wilck & Rheinard have shown to improve the car."

I can't find any pictures of the cars in detail on the ETS site - anyone got a link?
Old 07-05-2014, 07:45 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 45 (100%+)

Ah, you're using the old mount arrangement.

I just lined them up a while back and thought "no chance"

Interesting damper fixing arrangement you've got there too - what's the story there?
...well, not to good at stories but I can tell you what happened. So, after a race one day I was just checking out my car, you know, loose screws, bent part, etc...I came across my damper and it had a lot of play. I noticed that the top cap had a lot of play but did not have any spares. Then I remembered I just took a shock set off my TRF414M2 that had aluminum tops. So, I rebuilt the shocks with the aluminum tops. Anyway, long story short, I did order a couple sets of 53918 TRF Damper V Parts and a set of 42281 TRF418 Stabilizer Set.

The picture below is the current arrangement.

Old 07-06-2014, 12:56 AM
Tech Regular

Interestingly, Jilles kept running the standard car for most of the day....

"For the final qualifier he will switch to a similar set-up to that being used by Rheinard. Having run a pretty standard car so far he will also run some prototype parts which he said Wilck & Rheinard have shown to improve the car."

I can't find any pictures of the cars in detail on the ETS site - anyone got a link?
Last time you see no Picture from Marcs car and generally little of the TRF cars ... He is faster than Ronald ...

Four Tamiya in the A-Main
Old 07-06-2014, 02:27 AM
Tech Elite

The new car has different top deck, chassis, bulkheads and diff, apparently the single biggest change has been the diff wich has more oil volume and smoother gears. They had runner timed laps and found 0.2s just with the diff change (don't think that was here)

Last edited by Skiddins; 07-06-2014 at 02:40 AM.
Old 07-06-2014, 03:12 AM
Tech Elite

Wow - just from a diff....!

New bulkheads too - basically throw out the whole spine then.

Here's hoping for a 418WE/V6 then
Old 07-06-2014, 03:17 AM
Tech Elite

Interesting that the big change may be the diff. Certainly a diff that responds inconsistently could explain the issues with rear traction, and could also explain why some people have been running very heavy oils in the rear.
Old 07-06-2014, 05:47 AM
Tech Master

Be great to see a good quality pic Skiddins the few I have seen are just incidental ones (driver pics and the car on the table).

The diff will be great and an easy upgrade. I wonder if the upper bulkheads are higher as some setups I've seen have large upper link shim settings.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.