Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree4Likes

NEW HOBBYWING STOCK SUPERCHARGED SOFTWARE

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2012, 12:42 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by SlideMasteR
Will hobbywing be at the worlds in 2 weeks time ? my spare esc has not arrived and hoping i can get one there
I'll be there at the 12th event and I'll have speedos and spares with me
Old 07-10-2012, 12:48 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by Benedict
Hi all,
hoping that someone can help with the following (which seems pretty much of an issue to me - unless one can confirm this is normal):

I'm using a Xerun Hobbywing 1S in an 12th scale car, running IP 6400 lipos (1s).
After the run the motor tends to stay rather cool but the ESC goes through the roof (depending on the motor: 70 to 95°C).

How can I reduce this temperature to 'normal/reasonable' levels without jeopardizing my speed & power this ESC is offering me ??

My settings:
- Hobbywing 1S
(16Awg wires to the motor, 14Awg wires to the battery)
(no cooling no fan installed)

- Battery: new IP 6400 lipos 1S (charged normally: 1S = 6AMP)
- Radio: futaba 3PM 2,4gHz with original receiver R603FF

- track: small & tight track with a lot of 180° turns

- motor: LRP X20 4,5BL
no timing on motor - roll out 32,0 > 86°C
(with a roll out of 30,5 >>> temperature = 95°C)
- motor: NOVAK ballistic 4,5BL
no timing on motor - roll out 30,5 >>> temperature = 70°C

settings on hobbywing:
- STOCK software installed (110211)
(with latest MOD software: temperatures are still over 60°C but less power)
- drag brake force: 0%
- DDRS: level 4
- max brake force: 75%
- max reverse force: 25%
- initial brake force: 0%
- neutral range: normal (9)
- boost timing: 15
- turbo open time: 18deg / 0,1 sec
- over heat: disabled
- turbo timing: 15 deg
- boost start rpm: 7000 RPM
- turbo open delay: off
- boost timing: 250 rpm/deg

After running the temperature drops within 3-5 minutes back to normal temperatures (25-30°C), but directly after running - even the carbon chassis is 'too' hot to hold.

Can anyone help me with reducing the temperature without compromising on speed&power? Or are these temperature levels acceptable and within Hobbywing limits?

Thanks a lot for your help & input
Benedict

Try DDRS on level 1 and swap boost for turbo..
Old 07-10-2012, 01:15 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Can anyone help me with reducing the temperature without compromising on speed&power? Or are these temperature levels acceptable and within Hobbywing limits?
You need to run a fan.

As mentioned, your settings are pretty aggressive. Running mod, it's no longer the motor that gets hot, it's the ESC. I assume your using the stock software because of the more aggressive timing profiles, which generates more heat. Try to keep it under 160F (70C) if possible. If your going over 70C (160F) I would install a fan to move air over the ESC which will definitely help. Most of the mod guys I run with use a fan.

In a 1/12 scale there is limited room and depending on your body your choices are limited. The best is to use the heatsink and mount the fan to it, but I doubt you have the room (I don't). Next, you can perhaps mount it directly on the flat heatsink with some tape in the center of the fan, or stand it up next to the ESC. Any air movement across it, is better than none.

I've also heard (I'm not recommeding this) that some folks have drilled a couple of small holes into the case. With a fan standing next to it, the results were dramaticly cooler.

With mod and aggressive timing profiles, fans are becoming pretty standard.
Old 07-10-2012, 02:08 PM
M7H
Tech Elite

- DDRS: level 4
- turbo open time: 18deg / 0,1 sec
- turbo open delay: off
- boost timing: 250 rpm/deg
Change it to:
- DDRS: level 1
- turbo open time: 3 deg / 0,1 sec
- turbo open delay: 0.3
- boost timing: 600 rpm/deg

I'm pretty sure it will give the same performance, but temp should drop.....
Old 07-10-2012, 02:22 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Which stock racing software (with boost) to install on to v3?
Old 07-10-2012, 02:28 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by vadersing
Which stock racing software (with boost) to install on to v3?
The V3 doesn't work that way, it's all in the one firmware now

Just select a profile that matches your motor/class near enough (example 10.5 stock) and change the relevant settings from there.
Old 07-11-2012, 06:06 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)
Default Venom 120aV2 TC setup

Running Venom 17.5 540 with 120a v2 esc boosted in Xray t2, I have installed the latest software into the esc and followed Hobbywings suggested settings. The track is fast and flowing but not big. I am new to the bl scene and trying to work out overheating issues. The car was real quick for the first minute then dropped off a fair bit due to heat, I couldn't touch motor after a 5 min race or it would burn ya. I am used to trying to allow the motor to rev to it's maximum from my previous brushed days but it seems with the bl motors that is not the case ? ie with motor potentially being 7000kv at full advance the ratios seem low (the car would go about 110kmh with a ratio of 6:1 on an 8v battery, or approx 88kmh with a 7:1 ratio on a 7.6v battery) , I would have thought 8 or 9 :1 would have been better or do they not like to rev right out. HW guggest ratios between 5 - 7:1

Tried various ratios between 6 & 7:1
Boost 32
Slope 12°/0.1s
Turbo 30°
Boost Start 4000
Delay 0.1s
Timing Acc 300

Your help and comments appreciated.
P.S Hope the Venom esc is made by HW or sorry for hijacking the thread.
Regards Daniel
Old 07-11-2012, 07:07 AM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by Danielson2
Running Venom 17.5 540 with 120a v2 esc boosted in Xray t2, I have installed the latest software into the esc and followed Hobbywings suggested settings. The track is fast and flowing but not big. I am new to the bl scene and trying to work out overheating issues. The car was real quick for the first minute then dropped off a fair bit due to heat, I couldn't touch motor after a 5 min race or it would burn ya. I am used to trying to allow the motor to rev to it's maximum from my previous brushed days but it seems with the bl motors that is not the case ? ie with motor potentially being 7000kv at full advance the ratios seem low (the car would go about 110kmh with a ratio of 6:1 on an 8v battery, or approx 88kmh with a 7:1 ratio on a 7.6v battery) , I would have thought 8 or 9 :1 would have been better or do they not like to rev right out. HW guggest ratios between 5 - 7:1

Tried various ratios between 6 & 7:1
Boost 32
Slope 12°/0.1s
Turbo 30°
Boost Start 4000
Delay 0.1s
Timing Acc 300

Your help and comments appreciated.
P.S Hope the Venom esc is made by HW or sorry for hijacking the thread.
Regards Daniel
You are right on to the problem!
Even though a high turn Bl motor can rev to incredible RPMs when timing i used, they DO NOT like to be reved that high! Then the motor gets to much timing to early, as the timing goes up the motor gets more power. But the problem is that the efficiency goes down and the motor draws much more juice from the batteries, and a larger part of the juice is used to boil your motor.
The suggested ratios from 5-7 are right, but also you trigger finger plays in. A couple of weeks ago I tested with 17.5 boosted, depending on the aggressiveness of my driving the motor got 10 deg C hotter. But the times stayed the same.

You can try to let the boost and turbo kick in later and softer, this should make for a cooler motor.
Old 07-11-2012, 01:10 PM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by M7H
Change it to:
- DDRS: level 1
- turbo open time: 3 deg / 0,1 sec
- turbo open delay: 0.3
- boost timing: 600 rpm/deg

I'm pretty sure it will give the same performance, but temp should drop.....
Thanks to all,
for your response and help.
I have some things to test next weekend
(and I'll start immediately by installing a fan )
Thanks,
Benedict
Old 07-11-2012, 03:12 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by SlideMasteR
Will hobbywing be at the worlds in 2 weeks time ? my spare esc has not arrived and hoping i can get one there
yes Hobbywing will be at the worlds Mr Salton Dong Team manager and Michael lui designer will be there for tech support .

I will not be there as i need to be in thailand the month after for femca off road .
Old 07-11-2012, 03:16 PM
Tech Elite

Hi Guys

Just some urgent news there is a software version for the v3 named 526 this version is a test version and only for factory drivers to test and report back to factory but it has been leaked to some public members which im not happy about .

Please don't use this software version if you have received it until all testing has been completed and i have given the go ahead .

sorry for any incovenience caused to you .

Angelo
Old 07-11-2012, 07:38 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 53 (100%+)

does Hobbywing intend to tweak the esc's (both ver 2.1 and ver 3) minimum deadband value from 6% down to a lower value, say 3% for example?
Old 07-13-2012, 01:23 AM
Tech Initiate

Dear Angelo,

I have been using your company product V2.1 for more than one year, so far so good and even both quality and after sales service. Now I'm using the new V3, It works good for me with my teampower 4.0T motor. But my team mate using the Lrp X20 4.5T is upset, he using FDR of 8.5 zero boost and 15 turbo only, but he can play for 2 to 3 mins only then overheat cut....... the temp. of esc was 132 or above.....
We had tried to change the gear ratio, larger capacitor (4 pcs of hobbywing), smaller turbo setting, also cannot fix that problem.
Would you please give me the setting for using with the Lrp x20 4.5T motor running with touring car.
Thanks a lot!
Old 07-13-2012, 03:13 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by jensen123
Dear Angelo,

I have been using your company product V2.1 for more than one year, so far so good and even both quality and after sales service. Now I'm using the new V3, It works good for me with my teampower 4.0T motor. But my team mate using the Lrp X20 4.5T is upset, he using FDR of 8.5 zero boost and 15 turbo only, but he can play for 2 to 3 mins only then overheat cut....... the temp. of esc was 132 or above.....
We had tried to change the gear ratio, larger capacitor (4 pcs of hobbywing), smaller turbo setting, also cannot fix that problem.
Would you please give me the setting for using with the Lrp x20 4.5T motor running with touring car.
Thanks a lot!
Please send me an email please [email protected]
Old 07-13-2012, 03:15 AM
M7H
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by jensen123
Thanks a lot!
What timing insert did you use on the motor?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.