Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2010, 09:25 AM
Tech Lord

It is about how many teeth of the pulley can be used to transfer the power:
http://www.rctech.net/forum/nitro-ro...rontbelts.html
Old 07-27-2010, 09:27 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by BigBellyCat
So is it lack of maintennance or too tight a belt tension that makes belts strip?
Could Be Both. I've never got one that was defective. They last me a VERY long time. Shepherd or Mugen.
If it's too lose it will strip, if it's to tight it will strip. If you don't change it when it's time it will strip.
Old 07-27-2010, 09:51 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 36 (100%+)

Originally Posted by BigBellyCat
So is it lack of maintennance or too tight a belt tension that makes belts strip?
Originally Posted by Pooh2
Could Be Both. I've never got one that was defective. They last me a VERY long time. Shepherd or Mugen.
If it's too lose it will strip, if it's to tight it will strip. If you don't change it when it's time it will strip.
If you hit anything on the gas, if the car goes airborne and your on the gas when it lands, if your on the gas before the car is on the race surface to leave pit lane and go easy on the "it pulled a wheelie" coming out of a corner,
it will strip.
Old 07-27-2010, 09:55 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Whats your opinion on belt spray? there are some automotive products that make the belt 'sticky'. How are composite belts, fiber belts and rubber belts diffrent? Does any belt material last longer than the others?

How long can you drive before changing the belts? An hour under race conditions? Of course, always checking for damage to the pulleys and removing those sneaky peebles and bits of grit that accumulate on the pulleys.

Should we change our belts before the hour long mains?
Old 07-27-2010, 05:43 PM
Tech Regular

Default Belts

Take a look at the post - (No More Stripping Front Belts) I was using a front
belt and pully every two or three races since making this mod and going to
the aluminum pully I have not changed the front belt and it still looks great. (5 or 6 Race Weekends)
One problem with the front is the 16t pully under load there are very few
teeth making contact once the plastic pully wears a little it will strip the
belt and/or the pully.
I would stay away from anything sticky on the belts they will just become sandpaper.
Do the mod and change to an aluminum 16t from Serpent and you will have no worries.
Change the belts when they look worn will very with everyone and every car and driving style.

http://www.serpentamerica.com/shop/home.php?cat=67
http://www.rctech.net/forum/nitro-ro...ntbelts-3.html
Old 07-27-2010, 06:28 PM
Boz
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 23 (100%+)

MugenDrew is 100% correct.

There is never going to be a fix for striping belts, it's a fact of life. Yes, an extra pulley good idea but it adds drag.

Look and clean your pulleys after each race meeting and adjust the tension but not to tight. I see so many cars with dirt in the pulleys. This is a big No,No and we cause a belt to strip.

And stay of the power in a crash, we aren't driving MBX6's.
Old 07-27-2010, 07:57 PM
Tech Regular

Default Belts

Yes MugenDrew is absolutly correct in what he says.
The extra pully is actually bearings just like the side belt and the drag that might be added is so minuscule that its not perceivable.
My car rolls very free and adding the tensioner did not change that and most guys in my area are doing this.
The other bonus to changing to the aluminum pully is that the rubber does not build up in the grooves as with the plastic pully.
Give those two changes a shot you will not be disappointed.
Old 07-27-2010, 08:41 PM
Boz
Tech Fanatic

minuscule it is and more drag = less fuel economy.

You're only testing it by pushing it on a bench (no load), testing it while applying loads transferred via the drive train under load from the motor is a different thing.

Aluminum pulley may last a little longer, but the pulley teeth sharpen into a pointed and will cut the belt. The money that you spent on aluminum pulleys could be spent on buying 5 bag of plastic ones.

I'm sure if Robert found a front tensioner to be beneficial it would of been added to the MRX5
Old 07-27-2010, 09:11 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Boz
Aluminum pulley may last a little longer, but the pulley teeth sharpen into a pointed and will cut the belt.
I have not found that to be the case. Since I first started running 1/8th in 1999 I have gone through exactly 2 16 tooth aluminum pulleys.

The first was a delta one on my old Picco Integra. I ran it for a few seasons before putting it on my new MRX3. I ran it there for a few more seasons before putting on my new MRX4. By that time, it was getting pretty rough looking from rock damage but the teeth were NOT sharp but I went ahead and replaced it with a Serpent one. That one is still going strong today on my Shepherd and looks brand new. It hasn't even worn any of the anodization off.

The bad rap that aluminum pulleys have comes from a a lot of cheap garbage ones that were everywhere several years back. They were made from softer aluminum, were not hard anodized and one brand didn't even have the pitch right so they really killed belts.
Old 07-27-2010, 09:33 PM
Boz
Tech Fanatic

Really, I'm may have to try one again.

Back in the MTX3 days the soft aluminum may of be the cause, I use a Kawahara one for a few races last year and removed it and went back to the plastic pulleys.
Old 07-27-2010, 09:54 PM
Tech Regular

Default Belt

You also must buy a complete set of plastic pullies just to get the 16t and the 16t aluminum pully cost less last 10 times as long and does not wear to a point and cut the belt.
At this point I have had it on for 5-6 race weekends and it still looks brand new.
My experience with both the aluminum pully and the tensioner have been positive.

So give it a shot I know you will be happy.

As for the tensioner I run the same times between fuel stops.

\
----->
Mugen MRX4X
Old 07-27-2010, 11:41 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Boz
Really, I'm may have to try one again.

Back in the MTX3 days the soft aluminum may of be the cause, I use a Kawahara one for a few races last year and removed it and went back to the plastic pulleys.
That's why. The Kawahara ones were complete junk.
Old 07-28-2010, 05:44 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 36 (100%+)

At this point I have 2.5 gallons on the Team Titan pulley that Serpent imports and all I can say is WOW. The pulley at this point looks like it's new out of the bag! I have noticed the rubber belt appears to be lasting about twice as long and this pulley runs clean. The pulley set thats on the car now I drilled radially like the aluminum pulley to vent air that is being trapped by the belt as each tooth in gauges the pulley teeth. I have honestly noticed no gain from this and at this point it appears to be a waste of time. I do put a drop of oil here and there on the belt before each run while I'm lubing the cvd's...
Old 07-29-2010, 10:55 PM
Tech Champion

Here is my tips for belt maintenance.

Clean the belt with armour all liquid.

Use clean cloth, dip the cloth with armour all liquid and start wiping the belt until it is clean. 20 minutes job.

How long the belt can last ?

my mtx3 : still the same side belt since 2004 ( but I dont race this car anymore since 2008 )

my mrx4r : still the same side belt from day 1 ( 2008 )

mtx4 : still the same front and rear belts from day 1 ( 2006 ? )

my nt1 : still using the same belts from day 1 ( 2008 )
Old 07-30-2010, 08:48 AM
Tech Adept

when is the car going to hit the market???

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.