Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road
GT class--buggy-based on road! >

GT class--buggy-based on road!

GT class--buggy-based on road!

Old 09-30-2007, 11:03 AM
Tech Elite

Default GT class--buggy-based on road!

Hi!
It is currently under consideration to add a class for these cars, in the Midwest series. I am trying to gage the level of interest. The Midwest series is the oldest R/C racing series in the world (next year is the 39th!). I am wondering how many might be interested in racing one of these machines with us. There are a few to choose from,,, OFNA, Kyosho, Hot Bodies & others produce them.
Please post here, if you have any interest.
Old 10-02-2007, 03:48 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by duneland
Hi!
It is currently under consideration to add a class for these cars, in the Midwest series. I am trying to gage the level of interest. The Midwest series is the oldest R/C racing series in the world (next year is the 39th!). I am wondering how many might be interested in racing one of these machines with us. There are a few to choose from,,, OFNA, Kyosho, Hot Bodies & others produce them.
Please post here, if you have any interest.
Ron,

If this class has the level of interest that I think it will have for a new "refreshing" replacement class in the MWS, definately count me in. I would get one of these "1/8th GT" cars in a heart beat. After checking these cars out on the various web sites, they're also not very expensive. I think having this type of new class would be a lot of fun for anyone and would be a great car for a new member to start with. Of course, once a new member gets some "nitro" in there blood........you know darn well that another class would be next on there list. For me, it would be a perfect "fun car" to run as a 2nd class in the series. Just run it as is in the kit....or per any rules that we all agree would be needed. I think we all need to remember that we do this hobby to have fun and to support it. That's exactly why Brian and I are in it.

Dave Berry
Old 10-02-2007, 04:58 PM
Tech Addict

I'd really like to run it, I nearly bought one this year but had no where to race. Better luck next year maybe. I also hear that RC pro series is also interested in it, and they're kicking off a race in Florida this year:

Old 10-02-2007, 09:10 PM
Tech Addict

I've found some videos. This one is from Kyosho:
http://www.kyoshoamerica.com/videos/...INFERNO_GT.wmv

various inferno gt races:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fhU2p...elated&search=
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ct3Kw...elated&search=
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MaAdg...elated&search=

This one is pretty interesting to show how tough they are, this guy jumps a barrier and keeps going around the track after he's turned over:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CQi7l...elated&search=
Old 10-03-2007, 12:24 PM
Tech Elite

Lets hope the guy driving that one doesn't join the series.
Old 10-03-2007, 08:23 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default GT

Originally Posted by duneland
Lets hope the guy driving that one doesn't join the series.
I support you, but it is a nice track
Old 10-05-2007, 06:20 PM
Tech Apprentice

Thumbs up New Class

I raced two MWS races this year and would be very interested in this as a new class .This would be a great new way to bring in my 16 year old son and for myself as well.
Old 10-08-2007, 07:03 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Default GT Class!!!

I will be purchasing an Inferno GT to run in this class for the 2008 season. I will probably attend 3-4 Midwest series races, but I will race most of the time at Leisure Hours Raceway.
Old 10-08-2007, 07:40 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by CurveTracer
I will be purchasing an Inferno GT to run in this class for the 2008 season. I will probably attend 3-4 Midwest series races, but I will race most of the time at Leisure Hours Raceway.
Thats cool, see you at the "2008 GT National Championships"
Old 10-08-2007, 08:30 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)

Ron,

I think the addition of a GT class has the potential to be a real success. I feel the main challenge would be rules.

I think you're pretty up to date with the Inferno GT 'spec' class rules at Leisure Hours, and I feel these are pretty good.

I have one of these cars. They look freaking awesome, are affordable, and extremely durable. Perfect for a new person looking to enter the hobby, or a low maintenance second class. The real fun is when you get a few of these on the track that are evenly matched. It would be VERY easy to double the cost of the kit with upgrades and turn these into a tarmac terror, but I think this would quickly grind the class to a halt if this was allowed.

I feel that if a reasonable 'box stock' category was developed, it would be one of the best races of any given weekend.

Off the top of my head, I believe these are the IGT 'spec class' rules at LH (I'm sure I'm missing some):

Stock chassis (springs, shocks, diffs, two speed, clutch, etc.)
stock engine with pull starter intact and functional
Kyosho V slick rubber tires only
Kyosho IGT bodies only (cut to factory cut lines)

Changes Allowed:
brake upgrade
Kyosho sway bars allowed
radio upgrade
front toe, front & rear camber turnbuckles added
gear ratio can be changed (Kyosho intended gears only)

I vote YES, YES, YES for a stock Inferno GT (or comparable)...but please don't make it into multiple classes (stock & modified).
Old 10-08-2007, 08:39 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)

Alright, I found the post of my local track's IGT spec class rules (I was pretty close )

I'm not saying this is absolutely what it needs to be, but I really think these are a very manageable set of rules.

Kyosho Inferno Gt Spec Class Rules:
*If it doesn’t say you can do it, you CAN’T DO IT.

Car Rules
1. Upgrade brakes.
2. Upgrade radio gear (servos, linkage, receiver and radio).
3. Add sway bars (front and rear)
4. Shock and diff oils can be changed.
5. Any shock position, caster position, ect., provided by the car (no drilling holes).
6. You may use a starter box, but pull-start must remain intact and operational.
7. Clutch gearing may change (14-15 first gear, 17-18-19 second gear, kyosho only).
8. Replacing threaded links with turnbuckles.
9. Kyosho V-slick in any of the 3 compounds for tires.

Body Rules
1. Body must be cut on the manufacturer line.
2. You may cut the rear of the body no higher than 1 1/8th” when sitting flat on a surface.
3. Side window may be cut open for fueling.
4. Front window may be cut, but no larger than 3”x3”.
5. Rear window may but cut, but no larger than 2”x2”.
6. You may cut a hole for the glow plug ignitor.
Old 10-08-2007, 09:21 PM
Tech Elite

Default GT class rules

What track was that LH?

Those rules are great and along the same lines we at RC Pro Series were thinking. I like it, time for some "Stock Car" R/C road racing!
Old 10-09-2007, 03:17 AM
Tech Apprentice

Thumbs up gt

I will be getting one to race as a second car for MWS.
Old 10-09-2007, 05:24 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by mtx3ron
I will be getting one to race as a second car for MWS.
Just an FYI.... I don't think Ron has made a decision yet on if they will be run or not. He has been asking for thoughts and a decision I think has yet to be made. Hate to see you buy one and find out it doesn't happen next year.
Old 10-09-2007, 05:30 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by Brian Berry
Just an FYI.... I don't think Ron has made a decision yet on if they will be run or not. He has been asking for thoughts and a decision I think has yet to be made. Hate to see you buy one and find out it doesn't happen next year.
Sorry, I retract what I said. I guess it would help if this topic was all in one thread. I saw he said it was a class in 2008 back in the 'Midwest Series '08 39th season' thread.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.