Community
Wiki Posts
Search

GT class--buggy-based on road!

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2007, 07:01 AM
Tech Adept

Exclamation

First off, I would like to say I do support some kind of entry level on road class. That being said, I see a problem with with IGT rules as proposed here. I have not looked at a Inferno GT car but assume it is pretty much a 3 diff off road car with rubber on road tires. The problem I see is leaking/blown diffs streaming silcone diff fluid on a on road surface causing traction problems for all classes. If you go thru the pits at about any off road race and check car diffs, a good 30-40% of them are leaking.....some leaking so much they have no fluid at all in them. In off road, oil on the track is no big problem as you are pretty much skating around any way. Silicone oil streaks on the driving line of an on road track sounds like big problems to me.
Old 10-09-2007, 08:58 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by JVStrat
First off, I would like to say I do support some kind of entry level on road class. That being said, I see a problem with with IGT rules as proposed here. I have not looked at a Inferno GT car but assume it is pretty much a 3 diff off road car with rubber on road tires. The problem I see is leaking/blown diffs streaming silcone diff fluid on a on road surface causing traction problems for all classes. If you go thru the pits at about any off road race and check car diffs, a good 30-40% of them are leaking.....some leaking so much they have no fluid at all in them. In off road, oil on the track is no big problem as you are pretty much skating around any way. Silicone oil streaks on the driving line of an on road track sounds like big problems to me.
The Kyosho Inferno GT cars have front & rear diffs only. The center is a 2 speed transmission.

While damaged or poorly maintained cars can leak on any surface, to single out a new class that holds so much promise for the needed growth of our sport, seems a little short-minded once the actual facts are examined.

Are Sedan cars with 2 diffs currently racing all across America with diff fluids already?

Is Leisure Hours having problems with diff oil now?

Is there really a significant difference between a 2 diff Sedan and a 2 diff Inferno GT?

Not trying to bash or anything, just trying to understand the logic behind your concern.
Old 10-09-2007, 09:55 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by Jspeed
Are Sedan cars with 2 diffs currently racing all across America with diff fluids already?

)

By a landslide, the current field of competitive Sedan chassis are miniature replicas of 1/8 chassis designs and belt driven. Sedan folks got away from diffs a long time ago.
Old 10-09-2007, 10:01 AM
Tech Elite

So wait, you saying Sedans don’t have rear diffs that use oil?
Old 10-09-2007, 10:19 AM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I raced a few times years ago, and a class like this may get me back into racing. It looks affordable and fun. Would the OFNA car be allowed?
Old 10-09-2007, 11:58 AM
Tech Adept

So wait, you saying Sedans don’t have rear diffs that use oil?
For the most part......yeah......thats what I'm saying.
Old 10-09-2007, 12:10 PM
Tech Elite

What chassis do you have?

From what I understand, Kyosho, Mugen, Serpent, Team Magic and XRAY Nitro Sedans all come with diffs. Some are equipped with optional1ways or spools up front and Kyosho did offer a solid rear axle option for their V1RR series chassis, but other than that, what Sedan chassis don’t use at least a rear diff that isn’t filled with oil?

I could be wrong, but all of the competitive Nitro racing Sedans have oil in at least their rear diffs. You might want to check up on that, OK.

Last edited by Jspeed; 10-09-2007 at 12:31 PM.
Old 10-09-2007, 01:56 PM
Tech Elite

First, 1/10 sedans have options. Many(if not most) have fluid filled diffs, at least in the rear. Spools are common in the front. Ball diffs on some cars.
I am not leaning toward an IGT spec class. That is too limiting.
It will probably be established something like this;
Any sport level .28 or smaller engine
Any 1/8 buggy chassis converted to on road
Must run a Sedan or Sportscar style body, no buggy bodies or wings
Any radio system
Rubber tires, there are purpose made tires or street treads from several sources
2 speed is allowed
Old 10-09-2007, 02:04 PM
Tech Elite

Back to the subject of oil diffs.
I raced buggies for many years, and diff leakage is not that common. I have had many different buggies and rarely had a problem. Silicone oil would be very bad on the asphalt track & must be avoided. We will have to keep an eye on them and any vehicle (1/10 or 1/8) will be black flagged if it is leaking diff fluid.
As previously mentioned, we have had many 1/10 cars on the tracks with fluid filled diffs. These will be the same (only larger).
Old 10-09-2007, 07:45 PM
Tech Regular

Default Inferno GT

I plan to purchase one for the '08 season. I just hope I can find sombody to race.
I'm one of those "dirty" offroad guys, part of the appeal for me would be a familiaraity with the chassis and clutch.

I currently own a serpent720 that I don't race much, I don't fully understand the clutch, and I'm afraid of breaking the thing.

I would like to see this class gain some traction, I think you may see some offroad guys start showing interest in the onroad scene.

Us MT guys like "big" and "tough" cars. Watching a full field racing together would be an awesome thing. ...Please post links to video from the upcoming race!

I was also looking at 1/6 scale but those cars are too big for our track, and waaay too pricy.

Keep it simple, and cheap!!!! I'm not interested in racing electric sedan! (Battery/Motor Wars $$$$$)!!!

What was listed in some earlier posts sounds good.

This could be the "breakout" class, we're all waiting for. These cars are big enough to look cool on TV. Most of the video I've seen or shot of 1/10 cars, all you can see is a blur of color zipping around the track.

I'm stoked, our club (Midwest Racers Org) is hosting the R/C Pro Series Finals this weekend. I think I know what I'll be talking about with the racers who attend.
Old 10-09-2007, 07:49 PM
Tech Addict

A while back I had some silicone diff 'grease' for my yokomo gt4. Perhaps other grease might work just as well, without the need for leaky oil.

Hopefully, all of the different brand type of cars would prove equally matched, once size, body, engine, and minimum weight rules are enforced. I would hate the selections be limited as there are tire selections from different manufacturers, GRP, PMT, Power racing, and Ofna.
Old 10-09-2007, 08:25 PM
Tech Fanatic

Hey everyone. My post is to the regards of the diff fluid/oils. Most people tend to run both a front and rear diff in nitro sedans because of the adjustability in tuning and being easier on your belts. I run both the Serpent 720 and the G4S and they BOTH have a front and rear diff. A front spool can be hard on belts. So running 2 diffs with oil is totally normal. And you can see about 80 of these cars running at a big race and leaky diffs is not an issue I have ever heard of.

Another thing, I have 5 1:8 scale buggys and one of the INFERNO GT's (older one for sure) called the Landmax. If for some reason that you did have a leaky diff, the fluid would be trapped in the diff case for the most part. It's not like the diff would be pouring fluid out. If they tend to leak it is usually a very slow leak and gets flung on the diff case and sticks there, not on the race track. All I'm trying to point out is that diff fluid on the track creating traction issues is HIGHLY UNLIKELY, to the point of never happening. Not an issue IMO.

I also agree that this type of class would get a lot of the offroad dudes to make the transition to onroad. They will fall in love with the faster speeds and acceleration do to the higher traction compaired to dirt. Unfortunately no jumps though guys. I have been giving this class a lot of thought lately because I am an 1:8th scale onroad guy, and we don't tend to stray too much from our beloved cars. However the whole purpose we race is to have fun. I think this new class will be just that, FUN!!!! I support it 100%. Can we run a stock RB C6 in them? I'm not too clear on the power plant restrictions. But I realize that it's new and just starting so there will be lots of brainstorming for the vehicles parts that can and can't be used. Keep the suggestions comming, I'm liking what I am hearing and seeing in this thread!
Old 10-09-2007, 08:27 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by JVStrat
Old 10-09-2007, 08:28 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by celeritas
Me TOO.
Old 10-09-2007, 08:38 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)

What track was that LH?
I can't speak for the Leisure Hours track, but from what I know and understand...yes, these are the rules that are being used for an IGT spec class at our track.

So ONE person has a concern regarding diff fluid. I guess this could be a problem...if it was actually a problem. It's not.

Granted, the IGT class is still in it's infancy at our track, but this is not a problem. Our track is brand new, and mirror smooth. Any fluids leaking from the cars would be quickly and easily spotted. I own two IGT, one older and one newer. Neither leak. This is a non issue.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.