Community
Wiki Posts
Search

GT class--buggy-based on road!

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2007, 09:08 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by TC_Tuner
I can't speak for the Leisure Hours track, but from what I know and understand...yes, these are the rules that are being used for an IGT spec class at our track.

So ONE person has a concern regarding diff fluid. I guess this could be a problem...if it was actually a problem. It's not.

Granted, the IGT class is still in it's infancy at our track, but this is not a problem. Our track is brand new, and mirror smooth. Any fluids leaking from the cars would be quickly and easily spotted. I own two IGT, one older and one newer. Neither leak. This is a non issue.
Thank you for backing up that rediculous statement about the diff fluids. Anyway my question is do you HAVE to use a Kyosho kit engine? I have a few but they are older side exhaust (about 3 years old or so), or can there be a list of equivelent engines to the stock Kyosho engine. I'm nottrying to find the most powerful engine or anything like that, just curious if or what other engines fall into this catagory. Honestly I have NEVER even broke in the Kyosho engines that I have that came with my Landmax.

Also, I don't know if anyone would have this info, but the older Landmax had the 2 speed upgrade which I have. However I'm not too sure if I strip one of the gears that the "newer" 2 speed has any compatability. I will try and do some research on this as well as go through my parts supply that has been in a box for 3-4 years. Wow, I am getting sort of stoked about this. I never had a chance to even run my car. So I get to pull it off the shelf and remember what it looks like. I think it's a bit "rally" because of the Subaru body. But the body is way killer, like most Kyosho products.

So if anyone out there knows anything about the Kyosho Landmax, my question is if any of the parts are compatable with the newer Inferno GT. They appear to be the same platform, but I'm only going off of momory here. I'll do my research, but thought that I would ask you guys as well. Thanks much for your input. Worse case is I buy the newer version is all. But would be nice to use the car I already own. Later guys!

PS. After 3-4 years the diffs are not leaking!!!
Old 10-10-2007, 03:03 AM
Tech Elite

Well, the guy with the “leaky diff” is either very new to RC or just promoting negativity to try to throw a wrench in the development of the Rally GT classes.

I’m down in Florida and you’d be surprised at some of the lame arguments I’ve had to endure since we started talking about GT racing at our new track in Tampa from the “local yokels”.

Some folks just don’t want RC racing to grow; they want to continue to hide in their little worlds.
Old 10-10-2007, 10:52 AM
Tech Elite

Serpentd,

At Leisure Hours, I believe they must use the Kyosho engine that comes with the IGT. The Class for the MWS will be more open, as it will not be a Kyosho spec class. I want to broaden the appeal and perhaps give new life to some older 1/8 buggies.
Old 10-10-2007, 11:30 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

I must be new about RC....the grease (not oil) that used for DIFF....are they really that THIN that it will drip onto the track..? I have couple gear diff for my serpents...using some 10,000 grease to 100,000 degree grease.......even the lightest one, it is impossible to get the grease to drip onto the ground like SHOCK OIL does.......and my 100,000 degree one, I have to place it into a plastic bag cause I don't even want to TOUCH it....I called it 'GOOP" diff.
Old 10-21-2007, 11:49 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

(Double-post).

Looks like it's still developing quite a bit. Most people seem to be in the camp of wanting a spec class (with the Kyosho GT kit and engine) or are looking for an open class where any buggy goes, any engine, any tires, etc.

I think the people who like the idea of a spec class want to keep it from becoming a class with upgrade-creep that can add a lot of $$$ and take too much work to keep up with the next guy. Very understandable, keep the field level and fun. The three Kyosho slicks seems like a good idea because at least you're containing the choice to three tires.

The guys who like the idea of the more open class definition seem to like the idea that offroad guys can repurpose their cars, keep the tire selections wide open, do whatever to the drivetrain, etc. In addition, if people are getting really passionate about the class, it's natural to want to evolve an open class as far as engines and drivetrains and bodies go. This is where I'm at personally.

We're somewhere in between the two classes in Utah. We really don't have enough racers to formalize the two and run them separately. But I've seen the race director run two classes (such as Monster truck and electric 1/10th) together and the neat thing is that the results show up separately in the printouts. For example if you had four open class racers and three spec-class racers, you'd race all seven in the same heats but the two classes get to see their own results. I think at a track like ours in Utah, this may be the best way to go.

Last edited by Arboleda; 10-21-2007 at 02:21 PM.
Old 10-24-2007, 11:03 AM
Tech Elite

Here’s an older Buggy a friend is converting into a Rally car.
As the pics show, he didn’t even have to change the shock towers.

Old 10-25-2007, 07:52 AM
Tech Elite

Check out these Kyosho Inferno GT rides from Greece

Are You Ready?
Old 10-25-2007, 08:50 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by Jspeed
Here’s an older Buggy a friend is converting into a Rally car.
As the pics show, he didn’t even have to change the shock towers.

Jspeed.............where can the clear Porsche body pictured be purchased from and do you have a part # for it? Thanks.
Old 10-25-2007, 08:52 AM
Tech Regular

Those pics are cool. I like that they picked the solid color theme and all stuck to it, neat.
Old 10-25-2007, 10:04 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

The solid colors remind me of the former NASCAR IROC series where the cars were all the same and painted some very unique colors.
Old 10-25-2007, 10:35 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 89 (100%+)

I like the new class. I just may have to put one on my Christmas list. I just want to keep the playing field as level as possible. I'm not willing to dump a ton of money into this just to be competitive. Need to really look at a good set of rules.
Old 10-25-2007, 12:28 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 44 (100%+)

I recently converted my old XTM buggy to a GT. It was easy!! All I had to do was get the bodymount kit for the Kyosho Inferno GT. and a bumper from the OFNA GTP. Tires available are either the Kyosho kit versions, the pre-mounted GRP rubber, or the OFNA foam tires that need to be cut down.

I chose to use the BMW body because it seems to have enough room to cover the tall rear shock tower.

Cost to me was about slightly less than half that of a new Inferno GT. Mostly because of the cost of the body and the tires.

Dig-up an old buggy or buy a new kit, this is gonna be an exciting new class of racing.
Old 10-25-2007, 01:06 PM
Tech Elite

The Porsche bodies are available from Ofna. The clear ones don’t cost that much. I think I saw one at my LHS for about $35. The Kyosho bodies have greater detail and are also available clear on the cheap. Pre-painted bodies are more costly for sure.

RC Pro Series “Class” rules for the “GT” cars are going to be simple.

“GT Stock”= Bone Stock IGT, any electronics, chassis set-up mods permitted, diff oil changes OK and all cars will use Kyosho “Optional” V-Slick rubber tires. That’s it.

“GT Super Stock” is the same as above and allows the use of any “commercially available” .28 engine, chassis upgrades permitted. All cars will use Kyosho “Optional” V-Slick rubber tires. That’s all.

“Rally Open” is a “free for all”, except that all cars must run rubber tires.

Simple.
Old 10-25-2007, 01:55 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by Jspeed
The Porsche bodies are available from Ofna. The clear ones don’t cost that much. I think I saw one at my LHS for about $35. The Kyosho bodies have greater detail and are also available clear on the cheap. Pre-painted bodies are more costly for sure.

RC Pro Series “Class” rules for the “GT” cars are going to be simple.

“GT Stock”= Bone Stock IGT, any electronics, chassis set-up mods permitted, diff oil changes OK and all cars will use Kyosho “Optional” V-Slick rubber tires. That’s it.

“GT Super Stock” is the same as above and allows the use of any “commercially available” .28 engine, chassis upgrades permitted. All cars will use Kyosho “Optional” V-Slick rubber tires. That’s all.

“Rally Open” is a “free for all”, except that all cars must run rubber tires.

Simple.
+1
Old 10-25-2007, 01:57 PM
Tech Regular

In which of your three classes will you allow:

1. Brake upgrades (I'm guessing all three)
2. Modifications of the stock gearing ratios (I'm guessing all three)
3. Center diff instead of the two-speed (I'm guessing only Rally Open)
4. Non-Kyosho bodies (I'm guessing only Rally Open)
5. Non-Kyosho tires (I'm guessing only the Rally Open class)
6. Sway bars (I'm guessing all three classes)

I'm not trying to un-simplify your rules, I'm just curious to see how you all set it up.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.