Search
Like Tree68Likes

Tamiya TA05 Touring Sedan

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2007, 12:36 PM
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Italian racer
I have found that if you build a diff properly you will be able to tighten the diff almost all the way and still have great diff action. When putting the diff together I like to use AE diff lube and I use a lot of it. Generously apply to each diff ring and then fill each hold on the spur gear before inserting the balls. I will then tighten the diff till the plates touch the diff balls and then tighten it a half turn at a time there after. In between tightening it, rotate the diff back and forth for roughly 10-20 seconds at a time. Normally this takes 6-7 times of tightening and rotating and it allows the lube to get into the diff completly and to tighten it fully. I have never had to re-tighten my diff after it is built.

That is how I do it and I hope it helps!!
Same here, started building my diffs that way when I was running offroad only, & Losi's manuals were saying to do it just like that, tightening a bit at a time till it's where you want, & I've hardly EVER had a diff loosen itself on me, in whatever car I've had.....
Old 03-21-2007, 06:48 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)
Default Got my TA05R!

Just got my TA05R. I already have a very hopped up TA05 but I really couldn't resist. Some high points--cheap--about $260US in my hands, lightweight suspension, alloy suspension blocks, aluminum turnbuckles, blue threaded shocks and many carbon reinforced parts trees, 5mm blue hex hubs, universals front and rear, 36T wide pitch diff gears, sway bars---pretty much all the 'go-fast' parts.

The lows: Basic plastic chassis, grey steel phillips screws, crappy grey motor mount but does come with a cool blue top trim, no rear aluminum uprights (I guess what can you expect at this price), no aluminum steering rack or steering bearings.

All in all, a great value. You could easily still spend another $200 on hop ups including the chassis, motor mount, front and center oneways, aluminum uprights, carbon fibre shock towers, battery brace etc. etc. but you've got the main parts.

Fazal
Old 03-21-2007, 06:52 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 315 (100%+)

Originally Posted by FKhanro
Just got my TA05R. I already have a very hopped up TA05 but I really couldn't resist. Some high points--cheap--about $260US in my hands, lightweight suspension, alloy suspension blocks, aluminum turnbuckles, blue threaded shocks and many carbon reinforced parts trees, 5mm blue hex hubs, universals front and rear, 36T wide pitch diff gears, sway bars---pretty much all the 'go-fast' parts.

The lows: Basic plastic chassis, grey steel phillips screws, crappy grey motor mount but does come with a cool blue top trim, no rear aluminum uprights (I guess what can you expect at this price), no aluminum steering rack or steering bearings.

All in all, a great value. You could easily still spend another $200 on hop ups including the chassis, motor mount, front and center oneways, aluminum uprights, carbon fibre shock towers, battery brace etc. etc. but you've got the main parts.

Fazal
Which means the local distributor MAY import it into Australia by the end of NEXT year!
Old 03-21-2007, 07:41 PM
Super Moderator

Fazal
Sounds pretty sweet, but one thing I'd SERIOUSLY consider is changing out those aluminum turnbuckles to steel or titanium. I had those same aluminum ones on my 415 MSX & they were FAR too weak to take any real hits, would either bend easily or snap completely. If you wanna maintain the '05's rep as an ubertough car then I'd switch those out pretty quick....
Old 03-21-2007, 07:55 PM
OVA
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 86 (100%+)

Fazal
Brought another Tamiya again wow lol......
Old 03-21-2007, 10:25 PM
Tech Adept

Default Ti

Absolutely right about the turnbuckles. Blue is pretty but at the least you need Ti on the steering. Ova: Can't resist the blue!

Fazal
Old 03-22-2007, 04:52 AM
OVA
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 86 (100%+)

Absolutely right about the turnbuckles. Blue is pretty but at the least you need Ti on the steering. Ova: Can't resist the blue!

Fazal
Did you ever put the Porsche together?
Old 03-22-2007, 08:25 AM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by muahdib4
Ok, how about this..

http://www.tamiyausa.com/product/ite...oduct-id=49400

A Type 934 based on a TA05 with a double-deck carbon-fibre chassis???

Almost fell off the chair when I saw this. It is like a dream come true. I am new to R/C and got the TA05 about 5 months ago. Still brushing up my driving skills right now and gain more experience by taking part in as many races as possible.

Anyway... back to this fantastic chassis. The TA05 is at least a few tenths of a second slower than an MSX per lap. I have always wonder if Tamiya comes out with a double deck carbon fiber chassis version of the TA05, will it ever match the MSX?? Anyone has any comment on this?

However, a little confuse here. The Tamiya USA web shows this "Item #49400 (DISCONTINUED) (COMING SOON)" So, is this chassis on its way or discontinued?
Attached Thumbnails Tamiya TA05 Touring Sedan-gallery_2.jpg  
Old 03-22-2007, 08:54 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

Originally Posted by TA05ers

However, a little confuse here. The Tamiya USA web shows this "Item #49400 (DISCONTINUED) (COMING SOON)" So, is this chassis on its way or discontinued?

This chassis was a VERY limited run.... you can still get one, but they fetch a hefty price tag on ebay. Most that bought this kit, bought it for show purposes - or investment purposes only. If somone actually put this car on the track, they have too much $$$ IMO -
Old 03-22-2007, 08:56 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

Fazal
FAZAL - YOU HAVE A PROBLEM!!!!!
Old 03-22-2007, 09:21 AM
Tech Adept

Default TA05

I will be entering a re-hab program shortly. Damn blue virus!

Fazal
Old 03-22-2007, 09:49 AM
Tech Apprentice

Almost fell off the chair when I saw this. It is like a dream come true. I am new to R/C and got the TA05 about 5 months ago. Still brushing up my driving skills right now and gain more experience by taking part in as many races as possible.

Anyway... back to this fantastic chassis. The TA05 is at least a few tenths of a second slower than an MSX per lap. I have always wonder if Tamiya comes out with a double deck carbon fiber chassis version of the TA05, will it ever match the MSX?? Anyone has any comment on this?

It isn't really a CF double deck version of the TA05 because it has a short wheelbase - about 1 inch shorter than a regular touring car chassis - to suit the Porsche body. Previous Tamiya short wheelbase chassis (TA02SW, TA03(F/R)S, TA04SS) used reversed suspension arms and other tricks on a standard chassis to achieve the desired result but not so with this beauty.

The original production was rumoured to be only 1,000 units, and nobody really seems to know if there will be any more.
Old 03-22-2007, 11:45 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

In club races, where competition isn't as high as a major race, it does quite well against the 'Pro' chassis types, T2, 415, etc.. but the bottom line is that its extra weight simply can't give it the same corner speed as the MSX (talked to Mr. Crisp Tuesday night about the whole Lipo/4-cell/car weight thing as well as the RC-chemical issue, very insightful!). Of course it may only be noticeable in the hands of a more advanced racer with consistent laps, but it's still a factor. Martin recalled a driver who just raced 4-cell mod overseas, their speeds down the straight were almost 9 mph slower, but overall the saved weight from 2 cells gave them better laptimes than 6-cell would, as they could race the lighter car around corners that much faster. Same case for 1/12th scale, half the weight of a 1/10th, thus can be faster in the turns.

On the other hand, more things can go wrong with a 415 than a TA05.. tweak, parts breakage (LW susp vs. TA04 susp.), and a higher sensitivity to setup changes. The tub TA05 is way more forgiveable both in terms of durability and setup, and that's why I love it. I can focus more on driving and less on tinkering with the car. I even find the TA05 Xenon chassis, though lighter, can be harder to get a decent setup to race.
Old 03-22-2007, 02:23 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 81 (99%+)

Got my TA05 almost ready now. Picked it up as a roller that needed some TLC for $20

So far I have added:

3 racing shocks
3 racing front one-way
3 racing aluminum diff cups for the rear (not installed yet)
LRP Quantum Pro ESC
Trinity CO27 Pro motor
KO Propo PDS-2343 Servo
Spektrum
CS 27's

Also would like to ask what would be a good starting point for shock oil. I will be racing on a parking lot track at my local Hobby Town.
Old 03-22-2007, 02:27 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Blacktiger355
Also would like to ask what would be a good starting point for shock oil. I will be racing on a parking lot track at my local Hobby Town.
Tamiya yellow (40wt) - 3 hole pistons.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.