Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Vintage Forum
Old TC Cars - Still Racing Competitively >

Old TC Cars - Still Racing Competitively

Like Tree630Likes

Old TC Cars - Still Racing Competitively

Old 07-05-2017, 08:12 AM
Tech Elite

I notice you are running a mismatched pack of NiMHs there... that is very risky, especially with old cells, you could easily cause one cell to overcharge (and potentialy explode) when you put it back on charge. That risk is high anyway with old, old cells like those. I would get a new pack in there (ideally LiPo) as soon as you can.
Old 07-05-2017, 08:40 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by sosidge
I notice you are running a mismatched pack of NiMHs there... that is very risky, especially with old cells, you could easily cause one cell to overcharge (and potentialy explode) when you put it back on charge. That risk is high anyway with old, old cells like those. I would get a new pack in there (ideally LiPo) as soon as you can.
I know it's bad practice! this pack (like most of my recycled packs) was made up of 2 old sets where half the cells had gone bad in each. I balance it after every use and only charge at c/10 so it's not really a problem - only stores about 1900mah according to the charger. You're right, I do need LiPo's! I can only get about 3 mins into a race before the car begins to slow. Would a 3200mah shorty Lipo be enough for TC racing?
Old 07-05-2017, 09:02 AM
Tech Elite

3200 should be plenty of capacity for stock TC racing.
Old 07-05-2017, 09:27 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 37 (100%+)

Originally Posted by LzREngineering
Would a 3200mah shorty Lipo be enough for TC racing?
That depends on what you expect. It will get you around the track for 6 minutes, but will fall off badly long before that.
Old 07-05-2017, 12:41 PM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by howardcano
That depends on what you expect. It will get you around the track for 6 minutes, but will fall off badly long before that.
For stock, 3200mAh should be fine. Not a whole lot more expensive to go up in size, though. Why not go a little bigger, LzR?
Old 07-05-2017, 01:20 PM
Tech Rookie

I wanted to give you guys a pic of my FK05 but I cant seem to upload the picture? Anyway I actually did pretty well at the track this past Saturday; someone let me try out their 47t pinion and I took half a second off my lap time instantly, putting me up there with the fast B main guys (If I can be consistent lol). Might have to try a 48t and see if there isn't more in it.

Also, do any of you know tricks for a battery tray/holders for this car (or any car really)? Having the battery in the chassis like stock I have a good amount more weight on the motor side, so I would like to move the battery out more to get a 50/50 left to right balance. Any ideas? Thanks!
Old 07-05-2017, 01:21 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Yes, you can go bigger for cheap....Somewhere around 4600mah to 5000mah....
Old 07-06-2017, 11:23 AM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by Nitrofish48
I
Also, do any of you know tricks for a battery tray/holders for this car (or any car really)? Having the battery in the chassis like stock I have a good amount more weight on the motor side, so I would like to move the battery out more to get a 50/50 left to right balance. Any ideas? Thanks!
I can get you a 3D drawing if you have the measurements (all of the measurements) for a piece you would like.

Then you upload to Shapeways or whatever 3D print company you prefer, buy it and wait. I recommend regular plain white and strong plastic from shapeways. It is strong enough if sized properly.

Hook me up on PM and hope i read it within reasonable time.
Old 07-06-2017, 12:26 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by LzREngineering
I know it's bad practice! this pack (like most of my recycled packs) was made up of 2 old sets where half the cells had gone bad in each. I balance it after every use and only charge at c/10 so it's not really a problem - only stores about 1900mah according to the charger. You're right, I do need LiPo's! I can only get about 3 mins into a race before the car begins to slow. Would a 3200mah shorty Lipo be enough for TC racing?
But the GenAce shorty packs (5000 mah). They work great. I use them in a couple cars of mine. But if you can fit full size packs in your car. Buy the GenAce 7000 packs. Both of these packs use a 4mm plug. And they work awesome. I promise that you will be very happy with these packs. And they are cheap compared to the so called top of the line packs.
Old 07-06-2017, 12:32 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by MatsNorway
I can get you a 3D drawing if you have the measurements (all of the measurements) for a piece you would like.

Then you upload to Shapeways or whatever 3D print company you prefer, buy it and wait. I recommend regular plain white and strong plastic from shapeways. It is strong enough if sized properly.

Hook me up on PM and hope i read it within reasonable time.
Exotek has some battery hold down she that you could custom fit on that car. Or possibly the company square may have a battery hold down system you could fit on the car. Or even buy Xrays battery hold down system and make it work on your car. I'd try and find a good gear diff that fits that car. Type R used to make one that fit that car. Good luck
Old 07-06-2017, 01:46 PM
Tech Master

deleted double post
Old 07-06-2017, 02:01 PM
Tech Rookie

Thanks for the help guys! 3D printing a battery tray would be really cool but thats too complicated for me I think and I looked at Exotek and couldn't seem to find what you were talking about. I also do have the current Xray lipo cups but where I need to mount the battery for weight distribution they don't work.

What I have decided I'm gonna try is to take some poster board and cut it to my battery and where I want it on the chassis and then drill a hole on either side to mount that through the top battery strap posts. I think if I layer the poster board that should give me the thickness and rigidity I need. Then hopefully the battery strap still holds it down. If not I could always make the poster board work. What do you guys think, am I stupid in doing this? lol
Old 07-06-2017, 02:45 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Nitrofish48
Thanks for the help guys! 3D printing a battery tray would be really cool but thats too complicated for me I think and I looked at Exotek and couldn't seem to find what you were talking about. I also do have the current Xray lipo cups but where I need to mount the battery for weight distribution they don't work.

What I have decided I'm gonna try is to take some poster board and cut it to my battery and where I want it on the chassis and then drill a hole on either side to mount that through the top battery strap posts. I think if I layer the poster board that should give me the thickness and rigidity I need. Then hopefully the battery strap still holds it down. If not I could always make the poster board work. What do you guys think, am I stupid in doing this? lol
There are better materials that you can work with.

I have made LiPo retainers in the past out of "plasticard" - sheets of plastic typically a couple of mm thick that you can cut and drill easily, and then glue together to make them stronger. You should be able to get it in a general model shop (the kind that caters for model builders as well as RC car racers).

You could also get hold of some nylon bar - eBay seems to have made it a lot easier to get small quantities of engineering plastics. A little harder to work with than the plasticard but more robust.
Old 07-06-2017, 07:47 PM
Tech Rookie

Originally Posted by sosidge
There are better materials that you can work with.

I have made LiPo retainers in the past out of "plasticard" - sheets of plastic typically a couple of mm thick that you can cut and drill easily, and then glue together to make them stronger. You should be able to get it in a general model shop (the kind that caters for model builders as well as RC car racers).

You could also get hold of some nylon bar - eBay seems to have made it a lot easier to get small quantities of engineering plastics. A little harder to work with than the plasticard but more robust.
So like a HobbyLobby type place? That seems like a good idea since it says it also works well with CA glue. I will look into it thanks!
Old 07-07-2017, 12:03 AM
Tech Master

Or just carefully tape the battery where you want it, as God intended.
Metalsoft and DesertRat like this.

Search this Thread
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:
You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.