Search
Like Tree630Likes

Old TC Cars - Still Racing Competitively

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-11-2017, 09:16 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by bertrandsv87
I know.. The tc4 loves to drag the chassis on turns, which could cause a 0.5 sec per lap loss... I've had good luck on crc carpet and the stiffest gold swaybars, so I guess the silver swaybars might be good for high traction asphalt. The swaybar kit is also pretty cheap...
Got a few ideas in the works, not necessarily involving the stock bar sizes. Stay tuned.....
Old 06-11-2017, 10:12 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

I think Desert had a tc6.1 swaybar conversion for the tc4, which looked good... Keep us posted ....
Old 06-29-2017, 08:07 AM
Tech Rookie

Hey everyone,

This is a really cool thread. I picked up an Xray T1Fk05 back in January and have just started making some practice laps at my local track.I also just picked up another rolling chassis because, you know, parts availably lol. I am trying to be competitive in VTA class but 17.5 TC also seems like a lot of fun, might try that down the road.

I am coming from off road bashing so I have little racing experience. I think my car drives pretty well right now, and is really easy to drive, but I am curious what it could do in the hands of a veteran.

I will post some pics so you guys can see the car, I apologize in advance for the miles of wire on my car, could be part of my side to side weight balance problem lol but big thanks to whoever started this. Very cool seeing all the old cars still on track!
Old 06-29-2017, 08:15 AM
Tech Master

The FK05 is one gem of a car. And super tough to boot; I honestly can't remember breaking a single thing on mine-and not for lack of trying.
Nitrofish48 likes this.
Old 06-29-2017, 09:54 AM
Tech Rookie

Yeah it is I have had my share of board scrapes already! The guy at my LRT told me to get the Associated TC4 but when I saw the FK05 on eBay for a few dollars more I knew what I wanted!
Old 06-29-2017, 10:07 AM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by Nitrofish48
Hey everyone,

This is a really cool thread. I picked up an Xray T1Fk05 back in January and have just started making some practice laps at my local track.I also just picked up another rolling chassis because, you know, parts availably lol. I am trying to be competitive in VTA class but 17.5 TC also seems like a lot of fun, might try that down the road.

I am coming from off road bashing so I have little racing experience. I think my car drives pretty well right now, and is really easy to drive, but I am curious what it could do in the hands of a veteran.

I will post some pics so you guys can see the car, I apologize in advance for the miles of wire on my car, could be part of my side to side weight balance problem lol but big thanks to whoever started this. Very cool seeing all the old cars still on track!
17.5t is guaranteed fun to run, and not too slow or too fast....
Nitrofish48 likes this.
Old 06-29-2017, 10:33 AM
Tech Elite

May as well share that I ran my 10-year-old TOP Scythe again last week.

I've set the car up for my kids to practice with but had to run it because my favoured class was not running.

Despite running a 20T brushed motor, knackered tyres and a wheel transmitter instead of my usual sticks, I still qualified 4th and finished 3rd in a 9-strong field of 17.5 tourers.

Nothing wrong with old cars!
Nitrofish48 likes this.
Old 06-29-2017, 11:22 AM
Tech Rookie

Yeah I've been getting used to 25.5 VTA, my carpet track is pretty small, fast guys (VTA) run about 9.5s or so, I'm at 11 flat right now, consistently, if I hit the corners right I can grab a 10.5s lap.

Once I get better at driving and maybe more competitive 17.5 TC is where I would go! Thanks for the heads up
Old 06-29-2017, 11:33 AM
Tech Champion

No problem.....
Brushed motors + lipo+ light car= heaven for about three runs.....Then the comm will need some care...A good 20t motor can be very fast vs 17.5 motors....Good to hear I am not the only one occasionally running brushed...Cheers...
Old 06-29-2017, 12:56 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by bertrandsv87
No problem.....
Brushed motors + lipo+ light car= heaven for about three runs.....Then the comm will need some care...A good 20t motor can be very fast vs 17.5 motors....Good to hear I am not the only one occasionally running brushed...Cheers...
The motor is a sealed can HPI Saturn 20 motor. Very reliable. But not as much power as a 17.5 brushless. Since I race on a small track, power is not critical, so it is possible for a slower car to keep up if you run a good line.
Old 06-29-2017, 12:57 PM
Tech Champion

Understood....
Old 07-01-2017, 03:43 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

[QUOTE=notarex;14947395]I don't know if it's competitive, as I haven't run it yet- and I'd probably get kicked out of the VTA thread so here I am. My second try at on road, first was a TT02 which seemed like a horribly designed car. I picked up this ex-VTA MI4...

I too picked up a used Mi4 to bash around in VTA, love it, ended up getting a cougar buggy as well, I'm really liking schumacher, I will eventually get the Mi6. Hoping one day they decide to get into the F1 game. I love my Mi4 so much that I can't decide whether I want to continue to run it in VTA or run the barely used Serpent S411 3.5 I just got... I like all the adjustments on the Mi4 that don't require you to buy new parts i.e. suspension blocks for toe/track width etc. But I like the aluminum chassis on the s411... Decisions decisions.Anywho, Good luck with your Schuie!
Old 07-04-2017, 11:28 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 7 (89%+)

Originally Posted by heretic
The FK05 is one gem of a car. And super tough to boot; I honestly can't remember breaking a single thing on mine-and not for lack of trying.
Back in time, FK05 was a tank !!!!
Old 07-05-2017, 04:38 AM
Tech Regular

Just joined up to post this, what a great thread.
The FK05 on the left is my regular carpet club racer. Running the front one way with the stock set-up, handles great. Gets 2-3 laps faster every week - only thing holding it back is the battery and the driver (It does have some balance issues due to the weight distro).
The T1 Evo 2 (with pivot ball suspension!) on the right is kinda spare but i'm thinking of doing a LiPo conversion - the balance is much better on that car due to everything being symmetrical.

Here's an old Yokomo MR4-TC custom with 27t Trinity Monster that I just rebuilt and set up, going to test it out this afternoon. Also a TC3 RTR chassis that i've been fixing up, cant find the motor mount for it though.

Enjoy.
Old 07-05-2017, 06:43 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 37 (100%+)

Originally Posted by LzREngineering
Just joined up to post this, what a great thread... The T1 Evo 2 (with pivot ball suspension!) on the right is kinda spare but i'm thinking of doing a LiPo conversion - the balance is much better on that car due to everything being symmetrical.
This post might have some useful ideas if you decide to run the T1:

R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - Old TC Cars - Still Racing Competitively

By the way, I probably have the last remaining supply of new parts for the T1 (purchased from Bill Sydor several years ago). I don't own the cars anymore, so the parts are available if anyone is interested.
LzREngineering likes this.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.