Old TC Cars - Still Racing Competitively

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-22-2018, 11:01 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 45 (100%+)

Originally Posted by GuyIsDamGood
Hey rccartips.
I/we run the Fastest-Lap Challenge at the P.S. 296 school yard in Brooklyn, N.Y. City (Evergreen between Covert - Eldert).

Hey JoeyE; that's a nice-look'n Tamiya 414 chassis.
Thank you~!
Old 09-24-2018, 03:06 AM
Tech Master

Default Lol

Originally Posted by JoeyE
I don't know if I will ever drive this car. I have an empty spot on the shelf for it.

Actually I text you quite awhile ago with no response. I definitely want that lower deck 2mm. And those shock towers. If you have fiber lytes part numbers. Please send them my way. Thanks
Old 10-14-2018, 08:08 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Any of you own a Kawada Σ Sigma 2? i am wondering how competitive it would be for vta (Yes I know a lot depends on the driver skills, but just, in general, I figure I would ask)
Old 10-14-2018, 06:00 PM
Tech Rookie

I have a TC4 with a BMI chassis and a ton of parts.Plus I have been thinking about getting back into TC racing. But I was hoping not but a new car yet. What's the chance this car could a competitor? Of course I will updating my electronics package. Thanks for looking
Old 10-14-2018, 06:37 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by paulyy
I have a TC4 with a BMI chassis and a ton of parts.Plus I have been thinking about getting back into TC racing. But I was hoping not but a new car yet. What's the chance this car could a competitor? Of course I will updating my electronics package. Thanks for looking
If you pay attention and make sure that the chassis isn't dragging in the corners, you can probably make it work for a while. Swap the front diff for a spool.

If you are willing to part with a little money, you can have a very nice touring car for $200 new:

https://www.vbcracing.com/collection...-d-05-vbc-ck33
Old 10-15-2018, 05:36 AM
Tech Champion

Once you get the tc4 to make the minimum weight, it will be just as fast as any other chassis out there....
Old 10-15-2018, 01:37 PM
Tech Champion

depends on the class and the amount of money you want to invest... and the level of racing you want
Old 10-15-2018, 04:45 PM
Tech Rookie

Thanks for all the info
Old 10-16-2018, 01:18 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Speed Chaser
Any of you own a Kawada Σ Sigma 2? i am wondering how competitive it would be for vta (Yes I know a lot depends on the driver skills, but just, in general, I figure I would ask)
The older "style" the track the better you will do with it. Black CRC carpet will be tough.. outdoor ashphalt you will do ok.. it has droop screws its a central pully system.. CF double deck.. the cutouts on it will allow the chassis to flex a fair bit. This will be the hardest thing to dial out on indoor carpet.

James
Old 10-16-2018, 01:52 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

It for an outdoor asphalt track. I recently got one and been thinking about doing vta with it. Did you have one by any chance? There isn't much info on them
Old 10-17-2018, 08:47 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Bikerbob
The older "style" the track the better you will do with it. Black CRC carpet will be tough.. outdoor ashphalt you will do ok.. it has droop screws its a central pully system.. CF double deck.. the cutouts on it will allow the chassis to flex a fair bit. This will be the hardest thing to dial out on indoor carpet.

James
Yes ,I agree . I run my TC6 cars and my Xray T3 cars outside on asphalt and they still can work well BUT on CRC black carpet they are a complete Joke to run against Awsomatix , T4 18s and theTc7,1 and 7.2 that are optimized for carpet.
Old 10-19-2018, 02:15 AM
Tech Adept

I took my Top Photon out for a spin with an old Speed passion V3 21.5 motor and was only a few tenths off what the quick people where doing a lap.

I really feel there isnt much more in newer chassis on outdoor tracks. But saying this my car is only 12 packs old and I will be updating soon
Old 10-26-2018, 02:18 PM
RAL
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 67 (100%+)

Looking for a Yokomo SD, shaft drive. The carbon fiber chassis version not the molded chassis version(CGM)
Old 10-29-2018, 09:04 AM
Tech Fanatic

HPI Pro 4

Tamiya TB Evolution 5

Last edited by GuyIsDamGood; 10-29-2018 at 09:17 AM.
Old 10-30-2018, 02:14 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

I race locally in Indianapolis in VTA (Indy RC Raceway) on black CRC carpet. I race a TC3 with a ball diff and I am still competitive against the latest and greatest cars, including several Awesomatix A800s. The guys racing these better cars have qualified/finished on the podium at major VTA events. Last Friday I was racing for the first time with Protoform VTA tires on HPI wheels. My fast laps were within a tenth of the fast guys. The only thing my car was lacking was a bit of overall grip. I think my tires just need a little bit more time to break-in, but I was being lazy and didn't feel like working very much on the setup of the car that night.

Since I race on a small track with a lot of 180's, the biggest improvement I made to the car was to get it as close as possible to minimum weight. I mainly just switched to a shorty lipo, It isn't even the best shorty available, as it is a 4000 mah battery with an okay "C" rating. I'm also running the basic composite drive shaft, dog bones, and plastic diffs which are lighter than any aluminum parts. I'm using a 60amp Justock speed control and a Novak Balllistic motor. Most of the fast guys are running newer motors and better batteries, but when I get my setup right, I'm right there with them.

It is possible to race any decent touring car in VTA if you accept the cars limitation and just work with what you've got. Now I wouldn't suggest that someone new to the hobby can be competitive with any older car. But the only real reasons for someone to run a newer car is current setup information (for the surfaces/tires we are racing on) and parts availability. If someone new is planning on running older equipment though, it is a good idea for a more experienced racer to make sure the old/used car they get is in good running order AND has a decent amount of spares.

----------

I forgot to add that if you are going old school, dig out your old FM radio too. I was using my old Futaba 3PK with a FM/PCM module in it. It is fun to annoy the other drivers on the stand with my 3 ft long transmitter antennae.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.