Search
Like Tree14Likes

Tamiya F104 Pro!

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2009, 09:52 AM
Tech Initiate

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by BP SHADOW
Here is my 104, just about ready to go to the track, as seen through the awsome lens of John Discher (DISH) there will be more images later, but here is a preview.
Me likey!! That is one sweet looking F104, Shadow.

Are those D-Drive decals?
Old 10-06-2009, 10:33 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Torrance-96
a gear's pitch can be calculated or converted like inches and millimeters. to go from Diametral Pitch (DP) to Module, just take 25.4 divided by the DP to get the Module equivalent. to go from Module to DP, take 25.4 divided by the Module to get the DP.

so for example to calculate the module equivalent of a 64DP gear, take 25.4/64 and you get 0.397 module --> close enough to a 0.4 module in my opinion (less than 1% difference). like dave jun mentioned, that falls within manufacturing tolerances. it's not like these gears are going into a fine swiss watch or anything like that.

the other common gears are 0.5 module and 48DP. if you take a 48DP gear and apply the conversion factor you get 0.529. this is a 5.8% difference so i'd say these two are not compatible.
Don't you have an RC motorcycle to work on? or is a F1 project next?

I've been mixing and matching 64 pitch with 0.4 for years with 0 issues. Gears last forever and my cars run silent. Put a 0.4 102 spur on top of a 64 pitch 102 spur, the pitch and overall diameter are identical.
Old 10-06-2009, 11:35 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Here is my 104, just about ready to go to the track.

Awesome work as usual Brad. You beat me too the BAR I was going to do one next...I even found some tan vinyl (bargain bin) that I could use for the red/tan/black strips as seen on some of their liveries.

The Renault R2twenty something is almost complete. I took some liberties on where decals went because I wanted to avoid compound curves as much as possible with the D-drive stickers. And some stickers were just...well...put on wrong Also spent some time trying to paint the mirrors blue with yellow stalks and couldn't get any paint to stick . I may omit those (0.1sec faster!) but it dosn't look complete without them. Also need to finish the cockpit (contemplating whether or not to paint seat belts a darker shade of blue but chances are I will laze out on it).

I'll post pics of it when I can.
Old 10-06-2009, 12:53 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Arthur Burns
Me likey!! That is one sweet looking F104, Shadow.

Are those D-Drive decals?
Yes they are DDrive, the Lucky Strike logos were a pain, and still arent sitting right. You cant beat these decal sheets for crispness and accuracy, but the physical properties of the vinyl and inks that they are using to print leave a lot to be desired. I am working to change that though
Old 10-06-2009, 12:55 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by rtypec
Awesome work as usual Brad. You beat me too the BAR I was going to do one next...I even found some tan vinyl (bargain bin) that I could use for the red/tan/black strips as seen on some of their liveries.

The Renault R2twenty something is almost complete. I took some liberties on where decals went because I wanted to avoid compound curves as much as possible with the D-drive stickers. And some stickers were just...well...put on wrong Also spent some time trying to paint the mirrors blue with yellow stalks and couldn't get any paint to stick . I may omit those (0.1sec faster!) but it dosn't look complete without them. Also need to finish the cockpit (contemplating whether or not to paint seat belts a darker shade of blue but chances are I will laze out on it).

I'll post pics of it when I can.
Thanks Rod, not perfect, but I wont feel bad if/when it gets beat up at the track.
Old 10-06-2009, 04:10 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by heretic
That's what AE did with the 12R5 nonetheless... thats understandable given their 1/12th inheritance but still quite strange IMO
Did they move production to Asia when the Chinese bought the company? I'm surprised all their newly designed cars aren't now fully metric.
Old 10-06-2009, 04:23 PM
Tech Fanatic

Thanks Rod, not perfect, but I wont feel bad if/when it gets beat up at the track.
the wings... is that paint or vinyl?

if vinyl, what kind?

Thanks
Old 10-06-2009, 04:27 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by Promarkt
64 pitch pinions work fine with the 0.4 Tamiya spur. I think the tolerance in manufacturing the pinion will probably account for more variance than the negligible difference in actual pitch. In fact, some of my pinions are 64 and some are 0.4 so depending on my roll-out, I’m going back and forth with the two different types of pitch with no issues. The car always runs silent and my spur lasts a very long time.
Thanks Dave...

I have a bunch of 64P pinions at home and I wanted to use them

(I DID order the 30-31t Pinions from Tamiya yesterday... should have waited for an answer... oh well... according to UPS... they are on my doorstep right now)... Can't say Tamiya is slow once they've got the money... wow that's fast!...LOL
Old 10-06-2009, 04:48 PM
Tech Fanatic

Yes they are DDrive, the Lucky Strike logos were a pain, and still arent sitting right. You cant beat these decal sheets for crispness and accuracy, but the physical properties of the vinyl and inks that they are using to print leave a lot to be desired. I am working to change that though
I make my own decals as I've stated earlier i this thread... and what I do in order to make them last is I lay clear signmaker's vinyl over them and THEN cut them out... the decals come out just like factory and they resist chipping, scratching and peeling

MicroRS4 I painted and decaled with my own custom made decals back in '03:

Old 10-06-2009, 04:56 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)

Yeh very nice work again BP! I think the problem is the graphics on the AMS decals are not embedded. With Tamiya decals for instance, the printing is embedded a clear top layer so they stretch nicely and don't scratch off.
Old 10-06-2009, 05:04 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Metla
Did they move production to Asia when the Chinese bought the company? I'm surprised all their newly designed cars aren't now fully metric.
All other (besides corally) 1/12 cars have 1/4" axles, 1/8" or 3/16" id bearings, etc. etc. To use commonly available parts like front tires, or diff assemblies, there will always be a need to use the "inferior" imperial spec parts. Even the Corally now uses imperial front end parts, because they are proven to work best.
Old 10-06-2009, 06:35 PM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by akura2
I make my own decals as I've stated earlier i this thread... and what I do in order to make them last is I lay clear signmaker's vinyl over them and THEN cut them out... the decals come out just like factory and they resist chipping, scratching and peeling

MicroRS4 I painted and decaled with my own custom made decals back in '03:

I have had mixed results with the D-Drive decals too. A little chipping here and there, and difficult to work around contours. I bought the "helmet decals" - not so good. I could not get them to bend properly without dozens of pie cuts. I would love to make my own... I don't have enough talent or patience I'm afraid....

Just saw a link to this website on the forum yesterday:

http://members.optushome.com.au/pattosplace/home.html

Awesome selection and quality, but very high prices.

I agree that Tamiya is sure fast when you order from them. No complaints there, but the $$$$ is high. I assume they inflate their prices to "list price" to encourage us to buy from hobby shops. I have no problem with that, IF we could find a shop with everything I wanted! Unfortunately, I am ordering from the big "T" quite a bit to support the addiction.
Old 10-06-2009, 07:17 PM
Tech Elite

Here is another car that I just finished for a customer in California, once again masterfully captured in digital by Dish!
I need to also thank rtypec for giving me a different way of going about painting these things, much faster and cleaner , thanks again Rod
Enjoy!!!!!

Last edited by BP SHADOW; 10-06-2009 at 07:48 PM.
Old 10-06-2009, 07:32 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by akura2
the wings... is that paint or vinyl?

if vinyl, what kind?

Thanks
Both wings are vinyl wrapped, since this is going to be my race body
The brand is FDC and I believe it is calendered vinyl, U can get a 10yd roll for about $15 from the sign supply place
Old 10-06-2009, 07:44 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Holy cow Brad that looks awesome!

Here's where I'm at with my Renault.
Attached Thumbnails Tamiya F104 Pro!-r25a.jpg   Tamiya F104 Pro!-r25b.jpg  

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.