Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
1/10 R/C F1's...Pics, Discussions, Whatever... >

1/10 R/C F1's...Pics, Discussions, Whatever...

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree2923Likes

1/10 R/C F1's...Pics, Discussions, Whatever...

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2023, 06:45 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Now this is really getting off-topic, but once more:
I wouldn't call myself particularly thin skinned. It's just there's so many people out there these days are giving wrong (or least extremely incomplete) information, not only in RC but in much more important fields as well. Luckily we only have to deal with RC here. Still this site is quite full with people who scramble to drop their semi-knowledge (at best), their purely fanboy-based opinions as facts as fast as they can, and wherever they can (I'm sure every regular user has at least 3-5 names that come up in his mind, when thinking about that). And it is getting worse all the time - and somewhat annoying, too. It often feels like no one cares about facts any more, no one does at least a minimum of research before posting anything. And if nobody else ever fact checks and corrects these, this hobby will only go down (further?). That's why people who are full of BS (not the case here, before anyone gets to the wrong conclusions) get called out for it, the stupider their claims and the more they double down on it, the harsher the call outs get. We've all seen some previous members who were like that and there's still some left, who just haven't managed to insult a moderator yet. Yet, even mildly and well-meant misinformation should be corrected, so that everyone can have easy access to the real facts. Not harshly, but never the less, still corrected. And that's all I did. I didn't know anything about that book (nor do I really care much), but I instantly knew both "authors'" names (out of two) were spelled wrong (again, I'm not hunting every typo, but for names presented as authors of a book that is recommend, I think a little more care is needed - plus with people's names, it's also a bit of a respect thing, but that's just my personal opinion). And guess what: just to make sure, I still checked their correct spelling before i wrote that answer (again: a minimum of diligence, it's not that hard). So, while the information was still not perfect after that, it was yet improved a little (a lot, if they'd truly been the authors - the fact that they're not, only makes the original post worse - not that I tried to help correcting it, but you act like I'm the one who messed up here).

What did you do (initially!) to improve it, though? You knew that the book wasn't even written by the guys mentioned (since they only contributed). Did you tell us the author or title directly? No. You only posted a meme, directed at me. A meme that I'm not personally offended by, but just find as utterly stupid as forum signatures like "anyone who finds a typo in my text may keep it". Those last mentioned caused a little smile, when I first read one of them 20+ years ago. Nowadays, it's just an over-used excuse for laziness, even though almost every device has as a spell checker (or worse: auto-correct) - yes I know, doesn't help with names, but we're talking anti-spell-checking memes right here. To me, memes like that signal only one thing: "to hell with education and to hell with any diligence - let's be proud of ignorance!" - and I'm kind of allergic to that growing trend in modern society. In other words: I'd have disliked the meme as much if you'd posted it towards anybody else here. Making a mistake isn't a big deal. Happens all the time, and no one is immune from it. However, making excuses for them can become a problem (e.g. if you don't even try to avoid them). Trying to attack or ridicule people who try to improve on wrong information by giving better, more correct or more precise information with these kind of stupid memes is worse than both. It's childish and does not help anybody, it even tries to discourage people from improving things by correcting mistakes or information. And only after I called the meme out for what it was: a lame attempt at humor with zero relevance, you deigned to provide actual facts about the book. Would have been so much more useful to post all that info instead of the meme in the first place.

And by the way, the fact that RCtech happens to exist for more than 20 years now is exactly how related to whether or not facts can and should be checked and wrong information that was given may or should be corrected? Only because it's an old and well-established website, we should ignore wrong information, never bother to correct anything or improve things? Is that what you're saying? Really?
Fredp1 likes this.
Old 08-20-2023, 07:09 AM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by DirkW
I wouldn't call myself particularly thin skinned. It's just there's so many people out there these days are giving wrong (or least extremely incomplete) information, not only in RC but in much more important fields as well. Luckily we only have to deal with RC here. Still this site is quite full with people who scramble to drop their semi-knowledge (at best), their purely fanboy-based opinions as facts as fast as they can, and wherever they can (I'm sure every regular user has at least 3-5 names that come up in his mind, when thinking about that). And it is getting worse all the time - and somewhat annoying, too. It often feels like no one cares about facts any more, no one does at least a minimum of research before posting anything. And if nobody else ever fact checks and corrects these, this hobby will only go down (further?). That's why people who are full of BS (not the case here, before anyone gets to the wrong conclusions) get called out for it, the stupider their claims and the more they double down on it, the harsher the call outs get. We've all seen some previous members who were like that and there's still some left, who just haven't managed to insult a moderator yet. Yet, even mildly and well-meant misinformation should be corrected, so that everyone can have easy access to the real facts. Not harshly, but never the less, still corrected. And that's all I did. I didn't know anything about that book (nor do I really care much), but I instantly knew both "authors'" names (out of two) were spelled wrong (again, I'm not hunting every typo, but for names presented as authors of a book that is recommend, I think a little more care is needed - plus with people's names, it's also a bit of a respect thing, but that's just my personal opinion). And guess what: just to make sure, I still checked their correct spelling before i wrote that answer (again: a minimum of diligence, it's not that hard). So, while the information was still not perfect after that, it was yet improved a little (a lot, if they'd truly been the authors - the fact that they're not, only makes the original post worse - not that I tried to help correcting it, but you act like I'm the one who messed up here).

What did you do (initially!) to improve it, though? You knew that the book wasn't even written by the guys mentioned (since they only contributed). Did you tell us the author or title directly? No. You only posted a meme, directed at me. A meme that I'm not personally offended by, but just find as utterly stupid as forum signatures like "anyone who finds a typo in my text may keep it". Those last mentioned caused a little smile, when I first read one of them 20+ years ago. Nowadays, it's just an over-used excuse for laziness, even though almost every device has as a spell checker (or worse: auto-correct) - yes I know, doesn't help with names, but we're talking anti-spell-checking memes right here. To me, memes like that signal only one thing: "to hell with education and to hell with any diligence - let's be proud of ignorance!" - and I'm kind of allergic to that growing trend in modern society. In other words: I'd have disliked the meme as much if you'd posted it towards anybody else here. Making a mistake isn't a big deal. Happens all the time, and no one is immune from it. However, making excuses for them can become a problem (e.g. if you don't even try to avoid them). Trying to attack or ridicule people who try to improve on wrong information by giving better, more correct or more precise information with these kind of stupid memes is worse than both. It's childish and does not help anybody, it even tries to discourage people from improving things by correcting mistakes or information. And only after I called the meme out for what it was: a lame attempt at humor with zero relevance, you deigned to provide actual facts about the book. Would have been so much more useful to post all that info instead of the meme in the first place.

And by the way, the fact that RCtech happens to exist for more than 20 years now is exactly how related to whether or not facts can and should be checked and wrong information that was given may or should be corrected? Only because it's an old and well-established website, we should ignore wrong information, never bother to correct anything or improve things? Is that what you're saying? Really?
With all due respect, I don't think the other guy deserves all that.
Old 08-20-2023, 08:24 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by gwhiz
With all due respect, I don't think the other guy deserves all that.
Huh? All that? Most of it isn't even directly aimed at him at all. And the few points that were, I do believe he does deserve them. To be clear: I'm not blaming him for the existence of all these memes or the growing attitude in modern society behind them. Nor for the existence or the attitude of some (a growing number, IMO) people on rctech who behave like I mentioned. What I do blame him for is, instead of sharing the even better information he had readily available about the recommended book (while I simply trusted in the fact the two mentioned world class RC racers were indeed the authors, and hence only corrected their names), he decided to only make fun of that attempt of mine to improve on the original information, while withholding the true information he already had. Use-/Helpfulness of that post: 0%. I was at least trying to help (again, trusting in the authorship of Jan and David, which was wrong), while he did not. Instead he felt the need for making fun of people who actually did. Some people may be fine with that kind of behavior, but I am not.
Old 08-20-2023, 08:46 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 41 (100%+)

The truly wonderful thing about this situation is, I genuinely don't care.

Cheers!

xoxo
Marcos.J and MonkeyCmonkeyDo like this.
Old 08-20-2023, 05:09 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Cool

Let's try to keep the posts short....WOW....Correctness is not as important as posting .....Nobody posted more 'incorrect' things here than me, and I keep posting and hopefully correct myself along the way....Now back to F1: what F1 car are you planning to get next ?????
MonkeyCmonkeyDo likes this.

Last edited by bertrandsv87; 08-20-2023 at 06:17 PM.
Old 08-20-2023, 09:50 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

I'm done actually getting f1s rn. We will see what becomes of it but not a popular class here locally.
I've got an xray 23', a roushe evo3 and a tamiya f103.
I'd consider a icon 2 by schumaker too but currently im gonna get my f103 up and running again as i stripped it down right after getting it mostly dialed. Lol. Also gonna update the front end to a f104 front end to make legal for tcs. Those are my honey dos for f1 rn.
grr.
-d
Old 08-21-2023, 10:16 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 105 (100%+)

I get most of my setup from the hudy manuals, I run Roche, but it helps with all cars in my opinion.
Old 08-21-2023, 10:20 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by hairymuffin
I get most of my setup from the hudy manuals, I run Roche, but it helps with all cars in my opinion.
The Exotek Ultra and Schumacher Icon 2 manuals are very good also. They have both put some good setup guidance at the back of their manuals. While it's about their respective chassis', much of it is true for any pancar

F1 Ultra manual
Icon 2 Manual

Bsthetech and MonkeyCmonkeyDo like this.
Old 08-21-2023, 10:24 AM
Tech Champion

Maybe you guys need to get the 3racing fgx 2022...It should have its own class. I have too many pan car shelfqueens already...
Old 08-21-2023, 10:56 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 51 (98%+)

I need to get a legit F1 paintjob/decal set. been running white body for too long. does raceway rc have a working webiste yet?
Also anybody know who makes flashing rear light? would also like to put one on.
Old 08-21-2023, 11:07 AM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 144 (100%+)

Originally Posted by perez62682
I need to get a legit F1 paintjob/decal set. been running white body for too long. does raceway rc have a working webiste yet?
No website, he is just on facebook. I am also looking for a flashing rear light...
Old 08-21-2023, 11:09 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 51 (100%+)

Dirk thanks for the feedback.......Hope some users find the info useful.....Race on
DirkW likes this.
Old 08-21-2023, 12:33 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 41 (100%+)

Originally Posted by perez62682
Originally Posted by big james
No website, he is just on facebook. I am also looking for a flashing rear light...
F1 rear lights and other electronic goodies
big james likes this.
Old 08-21-2023, 12:47 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 144 (100%+)

Just taked to rc raceway and he sells them also, Thanks.

Last edited by big james; 08-21-2023 at 02:27 PM.
Old 08-21-2023, 05:37 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Originally Posted by DirkW

Lighten up Francis…

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.