Like Tree5Likes

Tamiya TB-03

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2009, 08:09 PM
tns
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by Racecrafter
Thanks Tech5!

My goal was to be on pace with the average of the 13.5 TC's with my 17.5 RCGT car. I was close I think I was .6-.7 seconds average a lap slower than they were. not bad for a car with "radial" tires on it.
Pardon the noob question, but what exactly is the difference between a TC (touring car?) and a RCGT car? The impression I've been getting is that a RCGT car uses "realistic" body shells, rims and perhaps tires, whereas a TC would likely be 100% geared towards racing i.e. dish wheels, slicks, protoform bodies...

Anyway, for a car with 17.5T to clock so close a laptime to 13.5T cars sounds really impressive!
Old 08-12-2009, 08:16 PM
tns
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by Timmie
Hey sell me your center one way and that can offset your cost on the spool
You will like the spool. In some ways I feel they make the car easier to drive for a lot of people. Yeah hop ups are addicting hehe. I think it is a lot of the fun in the hobby. With all the high end cars out there, you can't really do much to improve them. With the TB03, even though it is really good out of the box, there are hop ups available that make a performance improvement that don't cost a whole lot. I think that does a lot for the appeal of the car to a lot of people. It's fun to get that new hop up you have been waiting to buy, and being all excited about it Reminds me of the old days with my hpi's and bragging to my friends about the new carbon top plate for my NRS4...LOL!
Yup, half the fun's in the upgrading of the car
Old 08-12-2009, 10:54 PM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by bluesxman
The only thing I can think of is a servo saver. The kit servo saver is junk. I assume you are good on springs, tires, and shock oil options?
Oh, I forgot the servo saver, thanks for reminding. I already have a bunch of springs from HPI and Associated, but I will try the milky whites from tamiya too. for oil I have a lot of muchmore oils ranging from 350 to 500.

Originally Posted by Timmie
Yes, they will perform the same. What tires are you planning to use? If you don't know what tires you will be using, just get some Much More aqua inserts. They work really well and are inexpensive to purchase. Your list looks good, but I would add a hex head screw kit to it as well. Trust me, the phillps head screws will drive you nuts! A friend that I recently converted to Tamiya...HEHHEHE.....bought a TA05 and got a nice stainless screw kit from Tony's screw kit or something. Worth checking out.
Tim I will be mostly using the SOrex tires but maybe i will try also the muchmore tires because its cheaper.
Old 08-12-2009, 11:02 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 25 (96%+)

Originally Posted by tns
Pardon the noob question, but what exactly is the difference between a TC (touring car?) and a RCGT car? The impression I've been getting is that a RCGT car uses "realistic" body shells, rims and perhaps tires, whereas a TC would likely be 100% geared towards racing i.e. dish wheels, slicks, protoform bodies...

Anyway, for a car with 17.5T to clock so close a laptime to 13.5T cars sounds really impressive!

You hit that right on the head!! RCGT is a spec class and I call the UFO's that resemble nothing a TC (touring car)
Old 08-13-2009, 03:18 AM
tns
Tech Apprentice

You hit that right on the head!! RCGT is a spec class and I call the UFO's that resemble nothing a TC (touring car)
Say, is that a photo of your tb03 up on the teamtrf website? The wing on the car looks significantly larger than the ones from tamiya racing wing kit for EP cars. Would there be any advantage to switching over from the smaller EP car wings to the larger ones for nitro cars (other than simply looking nicer with the larger wing )?
Old 08-13-2009, 03:18 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Originally Posted by slakr
Hey... that would be me

It's not a SS screw kit, but Tony's Screws are good stuff.
This is the kit I got for TA05v2... http://www.tonysscrews.com/product.s...&categoryId=60
It's a 136 piece kit for the TA05.
There is also a 180 piece kit for the TA05MS... http://www.tonysscrews.com/product.s...&categoryId=60
I also have various RC Screwz SS screw kits from other models; so far I have been able to avoid using the phillips heads
My TB03 will not be here till Tuesday. Which screw kit will do the job? With the 136 piece kit have mostly everything? Do I need the 180 kit?
Old 08-13-2009, 08:25 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by tns
Say, is that a photo of your tb03 up on the teamtrf website? The wing on the car looks significantly larger than the ones from tamiya racing wing kit for EP cars. Would there be any advantage to switching over from the smaller EP car wings to the larger ones for nitro cars (other than simply looking nicer with the larger wing )?

Yes, the wing on my R35 is one from another manufacturers body that I ran last year. Which is also the same body/wing combo that was legal at the Reedy Race of Champions in RCGT.

There has been some debate recently as to its legality now that I'm in the top 5 for points. I have many other options to chose from of which I have yet to try. The more that is debated, the more I will test and the faster I will become.

Jimmy W
Old 08-13-2009, 08:27 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by CSaddict
My TB03 will not be here till Tuesday. Which screw kit will do the job? With the 136 piece kit have mostly everything? Do I need the 180 kit?

CSaddict,

this is the screw kit I used. It will do everything on the TB03 and you will have some spares as well.

http://www.tamiyausa.com/product/ite...oduct-id=49499

Jimmy W
Old 08-13-2009, 08:42 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 51 (100%+)

csaddict...go with the titanium screw set
3racing has a nice set for the tb-03 on ebay for about 30.00
In the ebay search box type in : TB-03
not tamiya or any other words.
you will find close to 400+++ hop-ups from many sellers.
There are about 10 different screw sets but the 3 racing about (30.00)is my favorite after the tamiya brand set.(about 45.00)
I have tried several brands for different cars.
Goodluck, Fat
Old 08-13-2009, 09:48 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

Yes, the wing on my R35 is one from another manufacturers body that I ran last year. Which is also the same body/wing combo that was legal at the Reedy Race of Champions in RCGT.

There has been some debate recently as to its legality now that I'm in the top 5 for points. I have many other options to chose from of which I have yet to try. The more that is debated, the more I will test and the faster I will become.

Jimmy W
fast guys are always scrutinized

wait.. maybe thats why no one cares what i run.
Old 08-13-2009, 11:19 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by SKYFLAKES
Oh, I forgot the servo saver, thanks for reminding. I already have a bunch of springs from HPI and Associated, but I will try the milky whites from tamiya too. for oil I have a lot of muchmore oils ranging from 350 to 500.

Tim I will be mostly using the SOrex tires but maybe i will try also the muchmore tires because its cheaper.
Well to save money, do what I do. Use muchmmore sweep 32, or 36's for your early qualifiers and see how you stand for the mains to determine if you will use sorex for a qualifier to bump you up in the mains or better yet, grab tq Then for the mains run the sorex. Keeps everyone guessing and makes them think their close to your speed....Then they go after the race HEHHEHE
Old 08-13-2009, 11:45 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Hebiki
fast guys are always scrutinized

wait.. maybe thats why no one cares what i run.

I care what you run. (That is if you ever get out and run.... :P)

Jimmy W
Old 08-13-2009, 11:46 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

I care what you run. (That is if you ever get out and run.... :P)

Jimmy W
saturday... tamiya. TB-03.. 17.5. BE THERE!

(thats about as close as ill come to "calling you out" )
Old 08-13-2009, 11:56 AM
Tech Addict

Oh man I want to race! Come on lets get something going i will be in cali at the end of the month...lets all race at the new track Chris was talking about they don't close till late, sleep is for the weak
Old 08-13-2009, 01:00 PM
Tech Addict

Default hehhe

hey I wanted to post a picture I did of my Arta body...My girlfriend got me photoshop CS3 so I am teaching myself how to use it Its a lot of fun! Enjoy!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.