Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree288Likes

Tamiya mini cooper

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2014, 12:06 PM
Tech Addict

I've glued the whole sidewall and that works perfectly.
Old 11-26-2014, 12:35 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

I've glued none of my sidewalls and it works perfectly... (have yet to run my car on carpet)
Old 11-26-2014, 05:58 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)
Default ,

OK I ran my car today with the sweeps, 33 front, entire side wall glued, 25 rear, no glue. 50 weight shock oil front and rear, front shocks on the outer most position. Red rear and yellow front springs, and rear sway bar.
1.5 deg rear toe hubs, 1 deg rear camber. Front has 1 deg toe out, 1-2 deg front camber.

Car wanted to push wide in the corners, I want a little more initial turn in, it did not try to roll once. I am still a little over a full second slower than the fastest guy. I don't know where to find it.

Last edited by ncpantherfan; 11-26-2014 at 11:40 PM.
Old 11-26-2014, 06:28 PM
Tech Rookie

anyone tried spool on the M05? its not easy to open the frame , so I hope to get some advise before that huge surgery
Old 11-26-2014, 06:41 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by aeroace66
anyone tried spool on the M05? its not easy to open the frame , so I hope to get some advise before that huge surgery
It isn't too bad getting to the gears, I can change a stripped spur in less than 10 min.
If you want to try, pack the diff with play dough. Unlike jbweld, play dough can be removed without damaging any of the gears. I have used a locked diff many times, the biggest difference in you can loose a little steering but imho I think it pulls a little better out of the corners. As pool will put more stress on the gears. If you hit something and the front tires stop suddenly while under power the spur gear can get damaged fairly easily. This is how I got good at changing the spur.
Old 11-26-2014, 07:02 PM
Tech Rookie

that's positive, i think when play on carpet lose some steering but fast get out the hairpin is the key, i got the 3racing spool ,just need someone convince me to put it on
Old 11-27-2014, 06:45 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by ncpantherfan
I am still a little over a full second slower than the fastest guy. I don't know where to find it.
Okay Panther I'm going to go against my best judgement and probably break some rule
On here but I'll tell you exactly how to make up that second against your fast guy.

Practice, practice and practice some more.
That fast guy has been driving awhile at that track and has been doing the
Same thing while you have been tearing your car apart and rebuilding it
Old 11-27-2014, 07:22 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by KA2AEV
Okay Panther I'm going to go against my best judgement and probably break some rule
On here but I'll tell you exactly how to make up that second against your fast guy.

Practice, practice and practice some more.
That fast guy has been driving awhile at that track and has been doing the
Same thing while you have been tearing your car apart and rebuilding it
On asphalt I have a setup where my times are very close to everyone, I could stay on the pace and usually finished second. This is my first experience on carpet and when my fast laps are that far off pace I can't help but think it a better setup would get me at least close to his times. I am finishing behind guys I was always faster than on asphalt. I am struggling to find the same comfort and consistency on the rug.
Old 11-27-2014, 07:53 AM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Has anyone seen Bob (Granpa) recently?
Old 11-27-2014, 08:38 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

Originally Posted by ncpantherfan
On asphalt I have a setup where my times are very close to everyone, I could stay on the pace and usually finished second. This is my first experience on carpet and when my fast laps are that far off pace I can't help but think it a better setup would get me at least close to his times. I am finishing behind guys I was always faster than on asphalt. I am struggling to find the same comfort and consistency on the rug.
My setups on carpet make the car very nimble/twitchy and aggressive. On carpet, the car that can rotate the fastest and maintain great corner speed will always win. Anyone 'Sweeping' the corner, is loosing time.

Here are my thoughts -
- I haven't tried sweeps, but sounds like you have too much grip in the back and not enough in the front. I run Tamiya tires, S grips both ends, and FULL sauce on all tires, leaving it on longer on the front. Try running a more med tire on the back, and play with softer tires in front.
-I glue from the small rib on the sidewall to about 1-2 mm up onto the edge of the outside tread. I haven't found a need to glue over the entire side wall. FRONT TIRES ONLY
-50 Shock oil isn't bad, I am usually around 35-40 though.
-Play with shock position, I didn't notice much difference with mine.
-Swap springs front to back. I had a lot of success with red front and blue rear. Sometimes I run White rear if the track has good grip.
-Rear Sway Bar - good. Put the harder one on, I think it was the silver one.
-rear Hubs - Good.
-Camber and Toe - Seems about right

Glueing the tires, put minimal amount onto the actual tread. Add a little more, to stop the car from 'bucking' up onto two wheels. If u put on too much, you will loose too much front grip. The super fast cars around here, will buck up onto two wheels a little when driven in anger. Its a very fine line, and ive had to use a dremel with a sanding disk to fix my tires.

We run 3 racing gear diff with 500,000 oil. Lasts forever and has good turn in and drive out of the corners.

Wheelbase - I prefer Med. Long WB takes too long to rotate, and SWB can work well, but a little too sketchy when driven very hard.

Also ensure you have a tonne of steering throw, and minimal bump steer.

Shocks - Play with droop (limiters inside the shock if you don't have the V2!) I run minimal droop on all four corners. And get your ride height down close to the min allowed at your track also.

Hope that helps
Old 11-27-2014, 08:41 AM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Wade....
Sweeps 36 front 25 rear.
Gotta glue that front side wall too.
Are the Sweeps a lower profile tire and/or do they have a smoother tread to sidewall transition than the Tamiya mini tires?

Last edited by Jordan Anderson; 11-27-2014 at 08:52 AM.
Old 11-27-2014, 09:31 AM
Tech Apprentice

do most people use the plastic parts for your speed control and receiver or just put them on directly on the frame sideways..
Old 11-27-2014, 09:33 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

Originally Posted by coolair
do most people use the plastic parts for your speed control and receiver or just put them on directly on the frame sideways..
Directly to the chassis.
Old 11-27-2014, 09:45 AM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Jordan Anderson
Are the Sweeps a lower profile tire and/or do they have a smoother tread to sidewall transition than the Tamiya mini tires?
Yeah. They're 55mm. Tamiyas are 60mm. 55s corner incredibly well, but you lose some top end.
Old 11-27-2014, 09:50 AM
Tech Apprentice

received my v2 yesterday..... came with the lwb new style mini body.
will be looking for a med body.. hoew are the crx or crz rated fir racing..?

Also all the tire are glued front and back.. the complete sidewall but nothing on the edge of the tread... can these be used on carpet front and back?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.