Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree288Likes

Tamiya mini cooper

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2014, 01:39 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

saw it but it think it was for the RS4? not sure if a LWB mini will fit. Aso, I'm kinda liking the wing in the pic (not a fan of the TC-style wing on the HPI version)
Old 02-14-2014, 06:45 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Granpa
The Novak, when run as the rules are written, has been slower than the Thunder Power. I have tested both motors and this is what I've seen.
Unfortunately, this is the same thing I have seen. The Novak motors are behind the 8 ball so to speak when the TCS M-Chassis motor rules are followed on larger tracks.

With Omaha this weekend, it will be interesting to see how things shake out.
Old 02-14-2014, 10:16 AM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Colt makes a Beetle shell. The wing isn't quite there, but they're cheap as heck. Rcmart is the most common place to see them.

Old 02-14-2014, 11:40 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Shortbusallstar
With all of the 21.5 choices I was confused & didnt know where to go.

I did all of this last year in my M06R, and i just bought the motor with the Highest KV rating.

At the time is was the revtech 21.5 @2500KV.

Soldered it up to a LRP stock spec v2, maxed the endbell timing, and

Used a 2s revtech 65c battery 8.42v at full charge

ITS a missle. I dropped the 20t pinion for the 18T(our track is smaller)

Hope this helps those looking.

Also the d3.5 & killshot 21.5 I believe have more Kv that the revtech.
Gear up and turn the timing down.
Old 02-14-2014, 11:54 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Who wants a mini! Any pic you want PM me!
Old 02-14-2014, 12:04 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by ercwhtsd
Unfortunately, this is the same thing I have seen. The Novak motors are behind the 8 ball so to speak when the TCS M-Chassis motor rules are followed on larger tracks.

With Omaha this weekend, it will be interesting to see how things shake out.
Having raced Omaha in classes with timing and FDR limits, it will probably be a mixed bag. Layouts tend towards the technical and although it will probably have a track length straight and sweeper it always has a few tight sections that require good torque. IMHO, the BEST motors are worth a couple tenths at the Plex but setup can be worth almost a second. Of course the top 3 or so will have everything in top form.

I'm setting on the sidelines this year to wrench for 3 kids. I'll do some reporting for you!

My 3 kid driven cars will sport a thunderpower, Novak SS, and Revtech. Maybe in practice I'll drive them for a few laps and see what each is capable of.....
Although if I don't get off work soon I might have to leave the brushed setup in one of them!
Old 02-15-2014, 01:38 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by jasons56
top form.

I'm setting on the sidelines this year to wrench for 3 kids. I'll do some reporting for you!

My 3 kid driven cars will sport a thunderpower, Novak SS, and Revtech. Maybe in practice I'll drive them for a few laps and see what each is capable of.....
Although if I don't get off work soon I might have to leave the brushed setup in one of them!
Here is out report so far:

A little late to the track for practice and had a bad servo, so I talked the track director into letting one of our kid drivers keep the brushed setup in one of the cars. In practice with me driving, it was a couple tenths slower than the fastest I could get the brushless cars to go.

My youngest and I are sharing his car. I went ahead and entered it. Kind of a challenge as he wiped a lower arm mount off in the first round, which on an M03 is not an easy fix.

However, I was able to sit in 2nd after 2 rounds. He is middle of the pack among the kids.

It is definitely an advantage to have a setup M06 on this track. The TQ is killing it. Of course the M03 will be easier in traffic, but with the new higher traction carpet at the Plex I feel the M06 is the chassis to run.

As far as timing goes, I tried to time to the moon with a Thunderpower and heat became a big issue. At least on a medium size carpet track, the timing is not as much an issue as feared. Granted, the car with the SS Novak is probably off pace by a few tenths, but you can't get much timing in those at all. If my son was hitting perfect laps I would go buy him something else, but as it is I was able in practice to run within 2 tenths of the faster car. His line is costing him WAY more than that.

Again, at least on our track. M03, M05, M06, Novak, Trinity, Thunderpower......... What REALLY matters is a good setup and good line..

I think the next couple rounds will knock me down a few spots. There are a couple more m06 cars which will benefit greatly from a resort and will surely outrun me.

I'm having a blast. If you ARE not at a TCS race when it is in your area, NOT COOL.
Old 02-15-2014, 03:02 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Thanks for the report
Have fun and good luck to you and your team!
Old 02-15-2014, 10:20 PM
Tech Elite

Today, we learned the most important handling/horsepower trick we found...was CA ON THE TIRES.
Old 02-16-2014, 12:37 AM
Tech Elite

Up later than usual----Winter Olympics on TV.

Had a brief and interesting conversation with Fred today. He's dead serious about a tire impound deal at the Nat's. Going out on brand new tires for the first qualifier is going to be really interesting. Looks like you'll be allowed 2 sets.
Old 02-16-2014, 05:56 AM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by CraigMBA
Today, we learned the most important handling/horsepower trick we found...was CA ON THE TIRES.
As someone who has never ran a mini on high traction asphalt, do you see CA there too?

I know at least on M03 setups, it is pretty invaluable on high traction carpet! Especially if you don't want to put newer/dryer tires on all the time.

I did a few laps with our three team cars in practice last night to see how the traction coming up was affecting the spread.

Between the M03 with Thunderpower set for 150 degrees of motor temp, M03 with last years setup (brushed), and M05 with Novak SS running cold and very pushy (slow) setup I saw about 1/2 second spread.

The fastest of the three is trailing the Tq car by about 4 tenths, but still has a significant push that is costing it about 1/2 of that difference. I'm sharing that car with my 9 year old so I can't tune the push out of it or he will be on his lid every other lap!

We'll see how the M03 with a mild easy to drive setup fairs against the m06 cars in the field. After the re-sort, we are the only FWD car in our heat.

Last round, most of the other cars had significant advantages in the high speed corners, but the FWD is just SO consistent and forgiving. In a low traction scenario I bet the TQ car would be within grasp!

If our three JR team members stick with this, looks like dad will need an M06 next year.
Old 02-16-2014, 06:06 AM
Tech Addict

Timing wise,

I checked out the un-catchable TQ car. Appears to be a Sonic @ 45 degrees of timing. About where I am on my Thunderpower.

I can see where people are worried about the timing rules difference on large outdoor tracks, but on our indoor track I don't think the worries are founded.

I tried some test runs with the timing past the marks, and while considerably faster on the very end of the straight, it got so hot and soggy on the bottom end that lap times were no different.

IF you can get a fan setup on the chassis of your choice, that my not apply as much. But at least on an M03/M05 I think motor temp comes into play before physical timing does.

YMMV!

Moral of the story is, GET TO YOUR TCS RACE. Even old junk can be fast and fun. DO IT!
Old 02-16-2014, 06:25 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 37 (100%+)

Hey Jason,

Who are the top 3 qualifiers in Mini and Junior?
Old 02-16-2014, 06:36 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Granpa
Up later than usual----Winter Olympics on TV.

Had a brief and interesting conversation with Fred today. He's dead serious about a tire impound deal at the Nat's. Going out on brand new tires for the first qualifier is going to be really interesting. Looks like you'll be allowed 2 sets.
Mini on s grips will be fine. In sedan, it's going to be horrible if they spray.

Originally Posted by jasons56
As someone who has never ran a mini on high traction asphalt, do you see CA there too?

I know at least on M03 setups, it is pretty invaluable on high traction carpet! Especially if you don't want to put newer/dryer tires on all the time.
On the M03, yes. The M05 seems to be immune to getting on the outside of the front tire.
Old 02-16-2014, 06:45 AM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by howardcano
Hey Jason,

Who are the top 3 qualifiers in Mini and Junior?
Eric W 24 laps 5:10 12.6 Fast Lap
Jason S 23 5:07 13.0
Ken M. 22 5:00 12.8

Kids are just running with the adults. They started in their own heat. Most of them are in the bottom heat after the re-sort.

Augie is sitting overall in the 7th spot. A main bubble!

Sorry you couldn't make it Howard. You would definitely be a top 3 contender.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.