Search
Like Tree288Likes

Tamiya mini cooper

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2013, 10:10 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by marcos graveyar
More Tamiya sales pushing the rules, you have to buy the Gold Chassis to get the new shorter suspension pin with the damper attachment as it is only available in that kit, similar thinking to the hub weights and lower damper mounts on the M06R, also only available with the kit not as a spare part.
You mean like this?

Old 10-22-2013, 10:42 PM
Tech Apprentice

It's fall, which means some of my local clubs are starting to prep for rally events (If they haven't already started, that is)

I have gotten confirmation that the M03 that I own would be allowed to compete if it can handle the terrain. Nobody local runs the M03 in rally form, and the rally build instructions from rc-mini.net are a good starting point, but rather lacking. Looking for some advice.

Would I be better off fitting longer shocks on the chassis to get the ride height of "less than an inch" (compared to the 4mm that one of my three chassis is at now) or would dropping 1.8 rally tires on be a better option to get the extra ground clearance? (If I did the math right, that'll add about 3 more MM of ground clearance. My tallest M03 is at 10MM, so that's half an inch of ground clearance)

Second: What tips do you have for drilling mounting holes on a body that wasn't designed for an M-chassis? I have a Civic body that needs to be mounted, but the holes aren't anywhere near where they are on a 225mm Mini chassis. I don't want to go in blind and just start poking holes, and end up totaling my body before I even get to use it.

Third: Skidplates. I have a lexan one that works well, and an aluminum one that I'm testing. are these even necessary on a Mini, or am I just adding unnecessary weight?
Old 10-22-2013, 11:39 PM
Tech Rookie

Is it nuts that my hop up part list is $350 bucks for the M05. Mind you that price also includes a $79 futaba servo and $30 for titanium screws as I've read the I should stay away from the kit screws.

I'm looking to start into racing so I've done lots of reading on these parts and the m05 chassis itslef. A local club does races so I'm interested in getting started.

Here's my list, after reading about all the parts its seems like it's all needed to have a good competitive car. If I could get somebody's help with the questions in bold below? Or if I don't really need a certain part, I'd like your advice. I realize this is a big read, I apologize but I have done a lot of research and am not asking for someone to give me a whole parts list, just some recommendations on what I've selected.

Tamiya TRF Works Damper Set for M-Chassis #84318
Yeah Racing (#TS-M05/05PRO) Titanium Screw
Yeah Racing RC Ball Bearing Set w/ Oil For Tamiya M05 18pcs
Tamiya (#53267) TA03 Ball Differential
Tamiya (#53333) Touring Car Tune Spring Set (Short) (I've read short is best, I tried to find out what springs come with the TRF Damper Set but wasn't sure..are these the same ones?)
Tamiya (#54193) M-05 Steering Post
Tamiya (#51000) Servo Saver High Torque Type (Does this come stock with m05 kit? Do I even need to buy this?)
Tamiya (#53646) Wheel Spacer (Blue)
Tamiya (#54195) M-05 Turnbuckle Steer Rod
Tamiya (#54192) M-05 Steering Link
Tamiya (#54191) M-05 Racing Steering Set
Tamiya (#54177) M-05 Aluminum Front Upright
Tamiya (#53597) Assembly Universal Shaft Set For M03
Tamiya (#54236) RC M05 Front Alum Damper Stay - Blue
Tamiya (#54239) M-05 Stabilizer Set (F/R) [B](Will only use rear)
Futaba Low Profile Servo Coreless #S9551

The only thing that wasn't in stock was Tamiya (#84081) M-Chassis HT Servo Saver which reading works with the Tamiya (#84081) M-Chassis HT Servo Saver listed above. Is it okay to skip on this, I could always get it from another site.
Old 10-23-2013, 12:58 AM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Originally Posted by pizzaboy192
It's fall, which means some of my local clubs are starting to prep for rally events (If they haven't already started, that is)

I have gotten confirmation that the M03 that I own would be allowed to compete if it can handle the terrain. Nobody local runs the M03 in rally form, and the rally build instructions from rc-mini.net are a good starting point, but rather lacking. Looking for some advice.

Would I be better off fitting longer shocks on the chassis to get the ride height of "less than an inch" (compared to the 4mm that one of my three chassis is at now) or would dropping 1.8 rally tires on be a better option to get the extra ground clearance? (If I did the math right, that'll add about 3 more MM of ground clearance. My tallest M03 is at 10MM, so that's half an inch of ground clearance)

Second: What tips do you have for drilling mounting holes on a body that wasn't designed for an M-chassis? I have a Civic body that needs to be mounted, but the holes aren't anywhere near where they are on a 225mm Mini chassis. I don't want to go in blind and just start poking holes, and end up totaling my body before I even get to use it.

Third: Skidplates. I have a lexan one that works well, and an aluminum one that I'm testing. are these even necessary on a Mini, or am I just adding unnecessary weight?
The 03 is more than up to the task. I'd even argue that it's a better chassis for the job than the 05, due to it's lower complexity. The easiest thing to do would be to copy the 05 rally setup. The front and rear "rally" uprights and dampers will all fit the 03 without issue. If you're looking for precedence, there is the stuff mentioned on rc-mini or there's always the classic Geocities minirally site, placed on the web years ago by Grahoo.

One part of the car I'd suggest strengthening would be the servo mounts. The left one tends to crack under stress. You can make a piece from carbon, frp or aluminum (or whatever you've got) Just bridge the gap between those two servo mounting screws and you'll never have a problem.
Old 10-23-2013, 05:14 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by jjjheimer
You mean like this?

No, these are not legal in the M05, the M05 versions are 1mm shorter in length and only come in the M05 Pro Gold version, not available as a spare part.

Old 10-23-2013, 05:44 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

Franjo, you have a pretty extensive list. Depending on what surface (carpet or asphalt) and your level of experience in racing, I could give advice in different directions. For anyone new to Mini, I would reduce the list, as you will never know the difference.
Originally Posted by Franjo
Here's my list, after reading about all the parts its seems like it's all needed to have a good competitive car. If I could get somebody's help with the questions in bold below? Or if I don't really need a certain part, I'd like your advice. I realize this is a big read, I apologize but I have done a lot of research and am not asking for someone to give me a whole parts list, just some recommendations on what I've selected.

Tamiya TRF Works Damper Set for M-Chassis #84318 Great shocks - Agree
Yeah Racing (#TS-M05/05PRO) Titanium Screw - Not personally convinced on this. Ive used stock screws on all my cars for a long while and never an issue, and my cars are run on med grip carpet and have had a multitude of bad crashes.
Yeah Racing RC Ball Bearing Set w/ Oil For Tamiya M05 18pcsAgree
Tamiya (#53267) TA03 Ball Differential Agree
Tamiya (#53333) Touring Car Tune Spring Set (Short) (I've read short is best, I tried to find out what springs come with the TRF Damper Set but wasn't sure..are these the same ones?)The shocks above come with the correct springs for you to use. Id suggest removing these springs from your list. Red up front and Blue/Yellow in back.
Tamiya (#54193) M-05 Steering Post - Put this in the 'option' column. U can get the car fine without this.
Tamiya (#51000) Servo Saver High Torque Type (Does this come stock with m05 kit? Do I even need to buy this?) Yes id suggest it.
Tamiya (#53646) Wheel Spacer (Blue) - Never found a huge benefit to this. 53569 - now id recommend adding these.
Tamiya (#54195) M-05 Turnbuckle Steer Rod - Put this in the 'option' column. U can get the car fine without this.
Tamiya (#54192) M-05 Steering Link Agree
Tamiya (#54191) M-05 Racing Steering Set Agree
Tamiya (#54177) M-05 Aluminum Front Upright - Put this in the 'option' column. U can get the car fine without this.
Tamiya (#53597) Assembly Universal Shaft Set For M03 Agree
Tamiya (#54236) RC M05 Front Alum Damper Stay - Blue- Put this in the 'option' column. U can get the car fine without this.
Tamiya (#54239) M-05 Stabilizer Set (F/R) [B](Will only use rear) Agree
Old 10-23-2013, 07:23 AM
Tech Regular

You may find it useful to get the following

Tamiya 5mm Shim 53587
Tamiya 3mm Shim 53585
Tamiya Aluminum 5.5mm Spacer Set 53539
Old 10-23-2013, 08:02 AM
Tech Rookie

Originally Posted by marcos graveyar
You may find it useful to get the following

Tamiya 5mm Shim 53587
Tamiya 3mm Shim 53585
Tamiya Aluminum 5.5mm Spacer Set 53539
Thanks for both your advice guys, I think I need to learn with the car and see how it reacts before I go crazy. I'll focus on the steering linkage and the shocks for now and then later down the road go from there.
Old 10-23-2013, 08:08 AM
Tech Champion

Tamiya Parts not legal ??? I guess the m05 is not legal in its original form....
Old 10-23-2013, 08:12 AM
Tech Adept

Lol, there goes Bertrand again.. extrapolating a statement to the extreme.
Old 10-23-2013, 08:25 AM
Tech Champion

Smile

Well you now know why I only run a M03 !!! I don't like playing games....lol....
Old 10-23-2013, 08:27 AM
Tech Rookie

Originally Posted by axle182
Franjo, you have a pretty extensive list. Depending on what surface (carpet or asphalt) and your level of experience in racing, I could give advice in different directions. For anyone new to Mini, I would reduce the list, as you will never know the difference.
Axle,

Thank you so much!
Old 10-23-2013, 09:04 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Franjo
Is it nuts that my hop up part list is $350 bucks for the M05. Mind you that price also includes a $79 futaba servo and $30 for titanium screws as I've read the I should stay away from the kit screws.

I'm looking to start into racing so I've done lots of reading on these parts and the m05 chassis itslef. A local club does races so I'm interested in getting started.

Tamiya TRF Works Damper Set for M-Chassis #84318
Yeah Racing (#TS-M05/05PRO) Titanium Screw
Yeah Racing RC Ball Bearing Set w/ Oil For Tamiya M05 18pcs
Tamiya (#53267) TA03 Ball Differential
Tamiya (#53333) Touring Car Tune Spring Set (Short) (I've read short is best, I tried to find out what springs come with the TRF Damper Set but wasn't sure..are these the same ones?)
Tamiya (#54193) M-05 Steering Post
Tamiya (#51000) Servo Saver High Torque Type (Does this come stock with m05 kit? Do I even need to buy this?)
Tamiya (#53646) Wheel Spacer (Blue)
Tamiya (#54195) M-05 Turnbuckle Steer Rod
Tamiya (#54192) M-05 Steering Link
Tamiya (#54191) M-05 Racing Steering Set
Tamiya (#54177) M-05 Aluminum Front Upright
Tamiya (#53597) Assembly Universal Shaft Set For M03
Tamiya (#54236) RC M05 Front Alum Damper Stay - Blue
Tamiya (#54239) M-05 Stabilizer Set (F/R) [B](Will only use rear)

The only thing that wasn't in stock was Tamiya (#84081) M-Chassis HT Servo Saver which reading works with the Tamiya (#84081) M-Chassis HT Servo Saver listed above. Is it okay to skip on this, I could always get it from another site.
You can save a lot by getting aftermarket hop ups instead of Tamiya. Tamiya stuff is good but usually cost twice as much as Yeah racing or 3Racing stuff. There are races that only allow Tamiya parts, but if this is not required, I'd save the money.
As for your list of parts, I'd skip the titanium screws, and just get regular screws to replace the tamiya screws. Any M3 screw works, I forget what length you need. I think 8mm or 10mm.
I'd also skip the ball diff. You can pack the stock diff with putty to tighten it up and it works great.
Old 10-23-2013, 09:40 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Has anyone tested out the difference in handling between the 3 different wheelbases?
I'm currently running 239mm on carpet and was thinking about trying either 225 or 210.
Old 10-23-2013, 09:51 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

Originally Posted by jha07
Has anyone tested out the difference in handling between the 3 different wheelbases?
I'm currently running 239mm on carpet and was thinking about trying either 225 or 210.
LWB ive found way too lazy, the car doesnt rotate fast enough, even after alot of testing. Ive seen some competitive racers with SWB, but the body selection is thin. The MWB works great, and is what I prefer.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.