Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
Tamiya mini cooper >

Tamiya mini cooper

Like Tree288Likes

Tamiya mini cooper

Old 08-06-2016, 07:40 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Yes they are the losi losa3333 lcds with grinded dogbone heads to fit the Tamiya outdrives... I made them way before other companies came out with dcj's for minis... They sure are tough, but I had to wrap a little scotch tape around them to make them fit snug inside the 5mm bearings...
Old 08-06-2016, 11:01 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Originally Posted by bertrandsv87
Yes they are the losi losa3333 lcds with grinded dogbone heads to fit the Tamiya outdrives... I made them way before other companies came out with dcj's for minis... They sure are tough, but I had to wrap a little scotch tape around them to make them fit snug inside the 5mm bearings...
Interesting, thanks. Could you sleeve them with metal for a more permanent fitment?
Old 08-07-2016, 12:06 AM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by monkeyracing
Interesting, thanks. Could you sleeve them with metal for a more permanent fitment?
It would have to be a pretty thin metal sleeving, roughly 0.1mm. At this point it's probably easier to just get the genuine Tamiya DCJs.
Old 08-07-2016, 12:33 AM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Originally Posted by gigaplex
It would have to be a pretty thin metal sleeving, roughly 0.1mm. At this point it's probably easier to just get the genuine Tamiya DCJs.
I think Bert's solution is good enough, but I'm always up for a challenge. (This makes me wish I still had my JRX parts car.) I once needed a 0.3mm shim for the steering post on my M05. I made it with some very fine solder. I had to guess at the crush thickness, but I nailed it.

Anyway, 0.1mm brass sheet is available. Maybe that would work. Easy to bend and cut.

Bert, do you have a pic of how you modified the dogbones?
Old 08-07-2016, 01:30 PM
Tech Champion

I guess you could sleeve it, but the difference in diameter is about 0.238mm or 0.119mm thickness on each side of the shaft... That is very small and hard to make perfectly round, that's why I went with the 3m clear tape instead, specially when the forces acting on the tape will be minimal at best...
I also dremelled the dogbone ends as oval as I could, just so they can fit the slightly enlarged outdrives.... It took me a good two hours to do though, and I might have a picture of them in one of my albums(BERT or berty)... Getting the Tamiya mini dcj's are definitely an easier option, as they are readily available now, but if you already have those expensive lcd's laying around(not being used anymore), then go for it : they smooth out the steering, and eliminate the well known mini hop on turn in....

Last edited by bertrandsv87; 08-07-2016 at 01:40 PM.
Old 08-08-2016, 03:00 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

I received a wonderfully sarcastic email from Banzai Hobby yesterday, explaining why they have very little stock from Tamiya. Apparently everyone else is doing such a great job with pricing, Banzai doesn't deserve to get more stuff to sell us at a slightly better price.

BTW: There are a large number of corporate price fixing scandals going on in Japan right now. I think we're seeing another.

Also BTW: I'm looking to buy 10 sets of S Grips at a decent price. I'd go with RcMart, but their shipping prices suck.
Old 08-08-2016, 03:30 PM
MD
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 136 (100%+)

I received a wonderfully sarcastic email from Banzai Hobby yesterday, explaining why they have very little stock from Tamiya. Apparently everyone else is doing such a great job with pricing, Banzai doesn't deserve to get more stuff to sell us at a slightly better price.

BTW: There are a large number of corporate price fixing scandals going on in Japan right now. I think we're seeing another.

Also BTW: I'm looking to buy 10 sets of S Grips at a decent price. I'd go with RcMart, but their shipping prices suck.

Here's some:

http://www.tqrcracing.com/shop/produ...w.asp?p_id=976

http://www.hobbylinc.com/htm/tam/tam53254.htm - unmounted

RPP Hobby has a good price, but out of stock.
Old 08-08-2016, 03:40 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)

Not good. I normally get 10-15 sets at a time of tires only from Banzai.
Old 08-08-2016, 06:30 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Thanks for the links, but I was building sets of 4 for under $17US. Of course, this is why Banzai is being denied stock - because Tamiya's deciding what the retail price should be.
Old 08-08-2016, 06:38 PM
Tech Champion

Wow, you're not kidding. I just had a look on their site, and they're sold out on everything I've looked at. There's also no option to select Tamiya from the manufacturers dropdown in the advanced search. Sounds fishy.
Old 08-08-2016, 08:12 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)

must be the same thing with rc-mushroom... they have like 6 things in stock for the M-series
Old 08-08-2016, 08:35 PM
Set
Tech Adept

this is what I get from banzai

Thanks for your email and your inquiry.

Unfortunately, all the overseas agents are complaining about us because they are doing perfect jobs offering fair price and providing perfect customer support but because of us, they cannot sell the products.

Because of this, at this moment we are having supply issues with Tamiya and cannot sell products at this moment.

We are very sorry about that.

If you have any further inquiries or questions, please do not hesitate to contact us.

---------------------------

This news pretty much killed my tamiya arsenal
Old 08-08-2016, 09:05 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

That's the one. The sarcasm is devastating in its combined subtlety and boldness. I'm very impressed
Old 08-09-2016, 06:34 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Okay crazy question here
Would you expect anything less from me???

Anyway
Have any of you taken your Mini offroad sort of a Rally environment???
If you have, what types of changes did you make to it from your onroad setup, physically like, wheels, shocks, sealing up the chassis etc???
Its gonna be dry but dusty!
Any thoughts???
Old 08-09-2016, 07:02 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by KA2AEV
Okay crazy question here
Would you expect anything less from me???

Anyway
Have any of you taken your Mini offroad sort of a Rally environment???
If you have, what types of changes did you make to it from your onroad setup, physically like, wheels, shocks, sealing up the chassis etc???
Its gonna be dry but dusty!
Any thoughts???
The rc-mini guys did this nearly 10 years ago. They jacked up the ride height, made a lexan skid plate to protect the nose, and used either RC18 or Mini-T tires. Other than that, they pretty much just used tape/bags to protect the electronics.

They did it on M03s, but other than having a harder time protecting the electronics, it should work the same for an M05.

https://youtu.be/Z-0Qh8zJx8I

You can get an archive of their site from this post:
http://www.rctech.net/forum/14094388-post24659.html

Last edited by gigaplex; 08-09-2016 at 07:08 PM. Reason: Added link to original post with rc-mini.net archive download

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.