Search
Like Tree288Likes

Tamiya mini cooper

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2014, 08:10 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by monkeyracing
You could stick the ESC opposite the motor...
How do you take the motor off with the ESC covering the motor screws?
Old 02-17-2014, 08:42 AM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

There's some prying and re-gluing involved. It works out okay if you are at the level where you don't need gearbox access often. With the near zero maintenance on BL motors, you'll rarely need to pull the motor otherwise.
Old 02-17-2014, 09:37 AM
Tech Fanatic

Exclamation

Originally Posted by Marc D
You probably stripped a gear. You'll have to take the car apart and inspect the gears. That happened to a racer yesterday.
I just replaced a stripped spur nothing else was stripped.
I will open it up today and see.

Thanks guys for your advice.
Old 02-17-2014, 02:25 PM
Tech Addict

Default Omaha TCS report

Omaha TCS was a blast!

Our 3 car/ 4 driver team had a hoot! I am told by the 3rd place winner I'm not allowed to race my son's lucky car anymore.

Raced it a couple years ago on a whim and got 2nd. Ended up in second again!

Gotta love Mini class! You can take a beat to death kid driven car, and still make it work well enough to be in the mix!

We got a lot of lucky breaks and were missing a few TCS regulars that surely would have made my job a lot tougher. I am sure some years I would have ended up quite a few positions down, but luck is definitely with that little mini!

It is so refreshing to run a class where FUN is the focus and we had plenty. The kids class was a HOOT. I was very excited watching my youngest son race in one of his first "big" events. More so since we were sharing a car AND my A2 was immediately following his race.
Thankfully the mini was only pulling out about 700mah during his runs, as we had the "junk" pack in our car. Big brother and his friend got to run our best gear. That strategy paid off! Big brother was bumped out of kid class and ended up 7th in the A with the grown-ups! Another first for our family team.

My two sons are hooked! My youngest took home a new M05 from the raffle so NEXT year we won't have to share a car! Big smiles on both our faces over that!

THANKS go out to Tamiya for hosting such a wonderful event! If you have a TCS race in your area, you owe yourself to attend!
Old 02-17-2014, 05:00 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

I agree Jason! That "B" main in Mini with all of the kids was the best race of the weekend!
Old 02-17-2014, 06:15 PM
Tech Fanatic

Thanks for the help guys. The binding was a backwards stock diff.
Old 02-19-2014, 08:19 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Hey guys just got a used M05 pro with TRF aluminium shock set. Tested it for the first time and with a little tweak from a fellow cluber the thing rides great compared to some of the other guys. I want to make the car more stiffer because it has alot of droop and no screws what do I need to get the droop lower? He said something about the shocks. Would a Stabilizer Set work?
Old 02-19-2014, 08:53 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Emaculant
Hey guys just got a used M05 pro with TRF aluminium shock set. Tested it for the first time and with a little tweak from a fellow cluber the thing rides great compared to some of the other guys. I want to make the car more stiffer because it has alot of droop and no screws what do I need to get the droop lower? He said something about the shocks. Would a Stabilizer Set work?
You adjust droop on a Mini by shortening or lengthening the shock. To shorten, place more spacers on the shock shaft, then assemble the shock. Generally, overall shock lengths of 56 to 58mm seem to work best. To decrease the amount of droop----suspension arms drop less----add spacers.

Droop on a Mini works as it does on a TC. It does not make the car stiffer or softer. You do that with the springs, shock oils and the piston configuration. To stiffen the Mini, you can use harder springs, heavier oil, or use pistons with fewer or smaller holes. Whether to run a stiffly suspended car depends a lot on the track surface, amount of "grip", and the track layout.

The stabilizer set or roll bars work a little differently on a Mini than a TC, if memory serves me correctly, having not run a TC for many years. If you use roll bars, the rear one is frequently used. The front is rarely used. The rear roll bar is used to adjust front end "grip", which then will stabilize the rear of the car-----make it less prone to "lose" the back of the car. So if your car is "loose", a rear roll bar will help. If not, it won't. The above description of how the roll bar works is open for debate, how it affects the car is not.

Last edited by Granpa; 02-19-2014 at 08:56 AM. Reason: correction
Old 02-19-2014, 08:56 AM
Tech Elite

The only way to adjust droop on a Mini is with shock length which is a combination of internal spacers and unscrewing the shock bottoms. Stabilisers do a different job.
Old 02-19-2014, 09:49 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Thanks guys. Stiff maybe wasn't the right word I just want to get less roll when conering. What parts needed to adjust that and where to get them?
Old 02-19-2014, 11:40 AM
Tech Adept

When they say internal spacers, they mean o-rings usually is the best way to do it. When I built the TRF shocks it had one o-ring already inside the shock. Plus those white springs definitely stiffens up the whole car.
Old 02-19-2014, 01:02 PM
Tech Elite

Thanks guys. Stiff maybe wasn't the right word I just want to get less roll when conering. What parts needed to adjust that and where to get them?
Here again this is just my opinion and I've been wrong, mistaken, delusional on any number of occasions. The problem with the 05 and it's lack of corner speed is that it corners too flat. With "no roll" you don't get enough weight on the outside tires. The exception to this is you have a very "grippy" track or have tires with a ton of grip. If you're not traction rolling on every corner, a little roll is beneficial.

To shorten the shocks Tamiya has a spacer set that has spacers from 0.5 to 4mm. You can also use O-rings, but they are 2mm thick. The roll bars come in the option parts and come in a set with both front and rear bars, one heavy and one light bar, with all the parts for installation. Speedtech and TQ racing have been my main source of supply, but on occasion Tower has come to the rescue. When all else fails, Tamiya .

I'd go to the TQ or Speedtech sites and scroll thru all their Mini parts. Lots of stuff there, and is an education in itself. You haven't even explored the "ton" of different tires, inserts, rims, and tire diameters. What tires you're using makes a bit of a difference in what you do to make the car run flat or roll.
Old 02-19-2014, 01:44 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Pretty much anything vaguely doughnut shaped can be used as a spacer. I've used alloy, plastic and/or o-rings. Dig through your parts box to see what you've got. I'm using some plastic bits that were left over from a parts tree - 6mm or 7mm worth in each corner - to get my dampers down to about 55mm.
Old 02-19-2014, 03:43 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 37 (100%+)

What LiPo batteries you guys using? I only see Reedy and Venom (available at Tower Hobbies) which can fit M05! Any recommendations?

Reedy

Venom
Old 02-19-2014, 04:29 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 49 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Mike Schumacher
What LiPo batteries you guys using? I only see Reedy and Venom (available at Tower Hobbies) which can fit M05! Any recommendations?

Reedy

Venom
According to Post 15007, these GensAce packs fit:

http://www.hobbypartz.com/98p-25c-40...-hardcase.html
http://www.hobbypartz.com/98p-25c-35...-hardcase.html

I'm currently using Turdigy Nano-Tech 4200s:

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...lipo_pack.html

Oh, the Reedy Wolfpacks are probably the most popular and are great quality. They might be my next packs for my M-05.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.