Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree1Likes

U.S. Vintage Trans-Am Racing

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2011, 02:22 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

i just bought the motor from novak, i have a spx super reverse in her slash is that esc legal
Old 06-03-2011, 02:37 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by sobiski racer
i just bought the motor from novak, i have a spx super reverse in her slash is that esc legal
Under USVTA rules it would not be legal

Approved ESCs:
Novak-
Mongoose Micro Brushless/Brush ESC (#1718)
GTB 2 Sportsman Racing Brushless ESC (#1709)
GTB series part numbers:1710, 1711
Havoc series part numbers:1732, 1733, 1735
Slyder part number: 1712
XBR (DISCONTINUED) part number:1720

LRP
A.i. Brushless Reverse part numbers: LRP80100, LRP80150

SPEED PASSION
Cirtix Stock Club Race ESC part number: 1228

The Cirtix can be had NIB for under $60

However, at the club level in the greater Chi-town area, I do not think anyone would have a problem with her running it. Set the throttle profile to 0-1 and let her have a blast.
Old 06-03-2011, 07:30 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

Originally Posted by texastc
Is there an official date for the Snowbirds yet? Need to schedule vacation to coincide with it just in case I accidently take family to Orlando for vacation.
Originally Posted by DARKSIDE
pom pom pumping...lets get it
I just e-mailed Mike asking if he had a date in mind for next years Nat's. I'll post after he responds.
I've also asked him to clarify any situations that might affect offering the class using 'official" VTA rules.

Dark, I got no problem shakin some Pom Pom's but that's where I draw the line. There will be NO talk of cheerleader outfits of ANY kind !!
Old 06-03-2011, 07:47 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Hey guys, I have a quick question. Between the ballistic and ss motors, is there any performance difference? Is the timing adjustable on the ss?
Thanks for the time.
Old 06-03-2011, 08:08 PM
Tech Champion

The Ballistic is just easier to use. A little cleaner and I think you can crank the timing further. But abusing the timing is illegal. I saw it a couple of pages back. I think its at the 60 degree mark that it becomes an outlaw motor.
Old 06-03-2011, 09:01 PM
Tech Adept

whoops. hehe
Old 06-03-2011, 09:02 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

There we go, I feel more like myself again.....

Originally Posted by iamogre
Hey guys, I have a quick question. Between the ballistic and ss motors, is there any performance difference? Is the timing adjustable on the ss?
Thanks for the time.
Originally Posted by snoopyrc
The Ballistic is just easier to use. A little cleaner and I think you can crank the timing further. But abusing the timing is illegal. I saw it a couple of pages back. I think its at the 60 degree mark that it becomes an outlaw motor.
The timing is adjustable on the SS, to be clear. The other benefit to the Ballistic, to add to snoopy's comment, is that a Ballistic stator can be changed to a different wind for a different class for ~$40. This makes it a bit cheaper to use the Ballistic in various classes.
Old 06-03-2011, 09:39 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by sobiski racer
I am considering trying vta for my 9 year old daughter, why only the novak motor? At nationals they are running 21.5. Speed passion sells esc/motor combo for 89.99, but because of some rule i am required to buy a 80 dollar motor then another hundred, hundred fifty dollar esc i do not get it.
Originally Posted by Flying Monkey
Can buy GTB esc's all day on here almost for $45 shipped....just got 2 myself from different sellers. You can also get the 25.5 SS straight from novak remanufactured for $54.

thats $99 minus shipping for motor from novak

there are MANY discussions about this in this very thread
Originally Posted by k_bojar
don't go by what the ROAR nationals is doing - that's a 1-off race, not the USVTA rules

USVTA rules is 25.5, novak ballastic or novak ProSS, no other manufacturers

so just ignore everything you're reading for the nationals - it don't count for anything else, other then those 4 days in Jackson, NJ
Originally Posted by ercwhtsd
Under USVTA rules it would not be legal

Approved ESCs:
Novak-
Mongoose Micro Brushless/Brush ESC (#1718)
GTB 2 Sportsman Racing Brushless ESC (#1709)
GTB series part numbers:1710, 1711
Havoc series part numbers:1732, 1733, 1735
Slyder part number: 1712
XBR (DISCONTINUED) part number:1720

LRP
A.i. Brushless Reverse part numbers: LRP80100, LRP80150

SPEED PASSION
Cirtix Stock Club Race ESC part number: 1228

The Cirtix can be had NIB for under $60

However, at the club level in the greater Chi-town area, I do not think anyone would have a problem with her running it. Set the throttle profile to 0-1 and let her have a blast.
Originally Posted by Evoracer
I just e-mailed Mike asking if he had a date in mind for next years Nat's. I'll post after he responds.
I've also asked him to clarify any situations that might affect offering the class using 'official" VTA rules.

Dark, I got no problem shakin some Pom Pom's but that's where I draw the line. There will be NO talk of cheerleader outfits of ANY kind !!
Originally Posted by Greg Sharpe
There we go, I feel more like myself again.....

The timing is adjustable on the SS, to be clear. The other benefit to the Ballistic, to add to snoopy's comment, is that a Ballistic stator can be changed to a different wind for a different class for ~$40. This makes it a bit cheaper to use the Ballistic in various classes.
oklol
Old 06-04-2011, 05:41 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 75 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Greg Sharpe
Don't forget the Ballistic also has removable sensor wires (the SS does NOT) which give you the opportunity to use cleaner, proper length wires from the motor to the ESC. The sensor wires on the SS is a sloppy mess of uncovered wire and long, too.
Old 06-04-2011, 06:13 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 54 (100%+)

Just ordered 2 of the SS remanufacturered motors for $117.63 shipped for my sons cars
Old 06-04-2011, 06:39 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

So how exactly do you measure that on an SS motor?
Old 06-04-2011, 07:00 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 84 (100%+)

Originally Posted by @Art_Mighty
So how exactly do you measure that on an SS motor?
You don't. crank it full advanced and call it a day.
Old 06-04-2011, 07:51 AM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by squarehead
Don't forget the Ballistic also has removable sensor wires (the SS does NOT) which give you the opportunity to use cleaner, proper length wires from the motor to the ESC. The sensor wires on the SS is a sloppy mess of uncovered wire and long, too.
Yeah! Thats what I was getting at when I said that it was just cleaner. To me even though there is no performance advantage. This characteristic makes it a much more desirable motor. Although you can get those little black conduit wraps from auto zone and put them around the sensor cables. It is still not as clean as a Ballistic.
Old 06-04-2011, 08:02 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 54 (100%+)

Yeah! Thats what I was getting at when I said that it was just cleaner. To me even though there is no performance advantage. This characteristic makes it a much more desirable motor. Although you can get those little black conduit wraps from auto zone and put them around the sensor cables. It is still not as clean as a Ballistic.
you talking about those black ribbed plastic tubes used in real car wiring harnesses? If so I was just thinking same thing
Old 06-04-2011, 08:06 AM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by Flying Monkey
you talking about those black ribbed plastic tubes used in real car wiring harnesses? If so I was just thinking same thing
Yup. Thats the part. Either that or trying to get some shrink tube around the whole sensor harness. Only the plug is four times wider than the batch of wire.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.