Like Tree1Likes

U.S. Vintage Trans-Am Racing

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2010, 02:57 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

Originally Posted by jhberger
All you Bastards can get in line behind me
Where's my bastard stickers, I thought I was the biggest bastard around here after the new rules announcement
Old 04-16-2010, 03:26 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by robk
Where's my bastard stickers, I thought I was the biggest bastard around here after the new rules announcement
I have to see you in a couple of weeks....so I'll keep my comments to myself...lol
Old 04-16-2010, 05:40 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Calling RC racers "cheap bastards" is a bit redundant, I'll admit, but maybe Rob needs a special category all his own.
Old 04-16-2010, 07:05 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 261 (100%+)

Nah...I'm pretty sure more folks think I'm a shoe-in for that title.
Old 04-19-2010, 09:01 AM
Tech Rookie

Default Newbie VTA Chassis Questions

I'm looking to build a VTA and have been researching which is the best chassis to start with. I'm a beginer and am leaning towards an associated TC3 or TC4 that I can pick up fairly cheaply on ebay. I can't find a list or real consensus on preferred chassis for the class, but I see a lot of peaple running these.
Also is there anywhere in south florida where this class is running. I'd like to get involved r/c racing and this seems like an affordable way to do it. Thanks
Old 04-19-2010, 09:20 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default Lots of old stuff

Originally Posted by frankobra
I'm looking to build a VTA and have been researching which is the best chassis to start with. I'm a beginer and am leaning towards an associated TC3 or TC4 that I can pick up fairly cheaply on ebay. I can't find a list or real consensus on preferred chassis for the class, but I see a lot of peaple running these.
Also is there anywhere in south florida where this class is running. I'd like to get involved r/c racing and this seems like an affordable way to do it. Thanks
The TC3 is very popular in this class mainly because it's cheap (Basterds Unite!), parts are available and there are at least a few guys running it at every track. It's also pretty stout and doesn't seem to mind running into things. The 21.5 motor doesn't overpower it, so you don't need the latest and greatest chassis to go out and have some fun. The kit setup is pretty good and you can tune it without a lot of fuss or extra parts. The shaft drive is bulletproof and it's easy to work on. What's not to like. Get an RPM bumper and the biggest piece of foam up front that you can fit under the body. Then go out and have some fun.
Old 04-19-2010, 09:30 AM
Tech Rookie

Are any tamiya chassis popular? I currently have a tb02.
Old 04-19-2010, 12:13 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

Many chassis are good for VTA whether it's a Tamiya or anything else. The TB02 should do fine but that gear restricting motor mount might cause some grief. Overall the TC4 or Evo 3,4 or 5 would be better if you prefer shaft drive. If you consider a new chassis...take a hard look at the Ofna JL-10E.
As for VTA in Florida...almost non existent...except here in Central Florida !! Feel free to come race with us. We're going back to VTA slowly as the new rules get closer so by September we'll be totally legit VTA. We might even do some Vintage Oval racing under the new rules. Give us a shout when you're ready.
Old 04-19-2010, 01:17 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

Originally Posted by frankobra
Are any tamiya chassis popular? I currently have a tb02.
I run a TA05 chassis and it does very well.
Old 04-19-2010, 06:12 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 115 (100%+)

tc3 they are great for the class.
Old 04-20-2010, 05:07 AM
Tech Champion

Default usvts scale nats

is it time yet?
Old 04-20-2010, 05:52 AM
Suspended

Originally Posted by jhberger
I'd venture that about 3500 of the 8500 posts on this thread start with, "Why can't I ..." This ain't Formula 1. Hell, it ain't even NASCAR.

VTA is a fun class. The competition is on the track and in the pits, not at the ATM. The tight product spec is a big help to a new racer. He can take the one-page rules sheet to his LHS and get an outfit with a minimum of fuss. It's also great for experienced racers who'd rather spend time testing the effect of bacon fat in ball cups than downloading the latest and greatest turbo profile on their turbo laptop with $500 worth of data logging software.

VTA is a state-of-mind. If you like the realistic look, the nostalgia, the camaraderie and the close racing, belly up to the bar and have a drink. It helps to be a cheap bastard as well.

There are plenty of other classes to run where you can get your jollies in a full-on gear war. I respect those guys and if I ever get the VTA grin off my face, I might join them. Until then, I'm lovin' VTA the way it is. Robk has done a marvelous job.
curious, but if that was truely the case then how come all the current hihg-dollar TC platforms are allowed in the class instead of limiting to true vintage/outdated tub cars?
Old 04-20-2010, 05:59 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by DettaSCT
curious, but if that was truely the case then how come all the current hihg-dollar TC platforms are allowed in the class instead of limiting to true vintage/outdated tub cars?
Because, at the slower speeds VTA is intended to be at, all the high dollar technowizardry chassis have no advantage over the old stuff.(driver skill being equal)
Old 04-20-2010, 06:03 AM
Suspended

Originally Posted by JCarr
Because, at the slower speeds VTA is intended to be at, all the high dollar technowizardry chassis have no advantage over the old stuff.(driver skill being equal)
doesnt make sense. if we were talking about a 75% speed differential i could buy into your statement, but technowizardry is technoqizardry no matter how you slice it. it helps or the guys that win the vta nats would still be running old cars.
Old 04-20-2010, 06:21 AM
Tech Champion

you have to open the chassis, due to the fact that not everyone can get an older tc chassis....and or get parts....but Ive seen everything from T3's to old Yoko's and HPI Sprint 2 chassis due very well in this class....and my TC3 or 5 do very good with the slower speeds

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.