Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree1Likes

U.S. Vintage Trans-Am Racing

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2009, 09:28 AM
Company Representative

Originally Posted by gacjr0
Forgive my ignorance, where is 25.5 used?

Ballistics aren't USVTA legal are they?

Not that a Kinetic/Ballistic wouldn't be a lethal VTA combo.

A while back, someone asked (I can't remember where...) if we could offer 25.5T wound stators for use in Vintage vehicles. We can make any wind stator for which there is a demand, so we decided to offer a few of these on-line.

Perhaps, they just wanted to test this higher wind?
Old 11-19-2009, 09:34 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

25.5.......dont know how this is a solution anymore other than ppl running silver/black can motors...great replacement for those running f-1...but dont think a nation of VTA racers whom have bought more Novak 21.5's than the law allows to just decide to up another motor....

I would hate to be in charge....good luck and thanks to Novak for all the effort they put into our class...
Old 11-19-2009, 10:35 AM
Tech Legend

Trader Rating: 294 (100%+)

is there a problem with the 21.5 usage?
Old 11-19-2009, 10:52 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Some people have speculated that a 25.5 motor in VTA might be a closer speed to what was the original intent of the class. I would be curious what the lap times of a 25.5 motor would be in comparison to a 21.5 or even 17.5. A 25.5. motor might have an advantage over a silver can motor since there are ways to tweak a silver can.

The 25.5 motor might be an interesting option for a local club/track to use for beginners or newer racers. If you use a Novak Ballistic motor, all you would need to do is change stators if you decided to move up. The cost of a stator on Novak's site is about $33.
Old 11-19-2009, 12:04 PM
Tech Legend

Trader Rating: 294 (100%+)

sounds like a good point. But, part of me wonders if people will just find other ways like what is done now to increase the speeds of things?
Old 11-19-2009, 12:26 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

Originally Posted by gacjr0
Ballistics aren't USVTA legal are they?

Not that a Kinetic/Ballistic wouldn't be a lethal VTA combo.
Yes the Novak Ballistic 21.5 is legal for VTA as they run the same as the older SS models.....just have the new cool can and other features.

Maybe Novak or someone can come out with a SPEC class ESC that has ZERO TIMING advance or something like that and sell it for like 60 or 70 dollars would the racers buy this? I think it might solve new speed and ESC issues but this might be a dream and too hard to come up with.
Old 11-19-2009, 01:37 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Kevin K
Yes the Novak Ballistic 21.5 is legal for VTA as they run the same as the older SS models.....just have the new cool can and other features.

Maybe Novak or someone can come out with a SPEC class ESC that has ZERO TIMING advance or something like that and sell it for like 60 or 70 dollars would the racers buy this? I think it might solve new speed and ESC issues but this might be a dream and too hard to come up with.
Hindsight and all that, but the rules for USVTA shoulda been set from the beginning to say that for 2S lipo, only the Novak 21.5 AND Novak GTB were legal. Would have avoided the whole advanced timing ESC issue we have today. Oh well, too late now, too many ppl, including me, have new gen ESCs and have probably sold off their old GTBs.
Old 11-19-2009, 01:50 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 89 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Stealth_RT
Hindsight and all that, but the rules for USVTA shoulda been set from the beginning to say that for 2S lipo, only the Novak 21.5 AND Novak GTB were legal. Would have avoided the whole advanced timing ESC issue we have today. Oh well, too late now, too many ppl, including me, have new gen ESCs and have probably sold off their old GTBs.
That would be great and all but not many people would've ran the class I don't think. I know I wouldn't have had any interest just because I'm not a fan of the GTB.

Why not try to dictate ruling on the timing advance and kill the turbo instead that way people can still stick with their LRP's and Tekins not for the sake of having an advantage but for the fact that they may prefer the brand...
Old 11-19-2009, 02:07 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Even without using turbo, the Tekin is still going to be faster than a GTB. The GTB limited you to maxxing out the timing only on the motor, to about 12deg, and this cost you punch off the line. The RS lets you keep the motor at 0 timing, for max punch off the line, and still ramps the timing up to 30 deg timing boost. I gear my car around 5:1 FDR and it will still pull any GTB powered car down a short straight, and I do not use turbo boost. (I would expect similar results with any of the new generation ESCs, but I dont own any of them). After I test on the local tracks new layout, the following week I want to put an old Xcelorin ESC back in to see how slow the car gets.
Old 11-19-2009, 02:24 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default Interiors

Hey Guys, I do not know if any of you know this, however. I just recieved a couple of Interiors/drivers from McAllister racing.

Part # 423 is a full, left side driver similar to parsec racing and should street price around $15.

Part #419 Is just a driver and wheel and can be mounted to either side, and street price is $9

Your LHS should be able to get them for you, the 2 units I have I am going to hand out to one of our Local VTA Drivers for painting.
Old 11-19-2009, 02:38 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

Thanks Eric
Old 11-19-2009, 02:40 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Very good points...but we all got to remember that the tech that has push lipo and brushless will continue to advance....better esc's is just part of the growth of the hobby as a whole...it would be nice to have a "spec" VTA car...but HPI dropped the ball on that one ...thanks Mamba/Flux...but locally you can still get better racing with the older equipment if you have honest racers...luckily alot of racers here are upgrading and the playing field is even again.....none are running round cell except one and he is gettin lipo this week....

even if the USVTA rules would have said GTB as spec esc...its discontiued and the Havok has 2-3 versions and the new Kinetic is on the level of the LRP and Tekin..so it would have ended up this way anyway...the only thing we need to understand that your local fast guy needs to keep his car even with the field...

and at "BIG" national races(USVTA NATS 2010) we need a Pro/expert and Sportsman classes...to help level the playing field...no offense to the sponsored guys. This IMO keeps more entries up due to the fact that more ppl have a chance to take home some hardware....ie look at 17.5 sedan at big races...it leveled out the field alot to let the local yahoo have a chance at a big win...

yeah Im rambling...see my point...lol

also..dont forget.....

RD 2 THUNDER TRANS-AM SERIES
TURKEY TAG TROPHY RACE

Race Specification:
- 5 minute qualifiers(3 each)
- 8 minute main
- Racers will be matched or tagged by luck of the draw
- Classes will include TA and Jr TA
- Sportsman and rookie classes if enough show(5 or more)

Trophy:
- 1st
- 2nd
- 3rd
Door Prizes

RULES for the event:
http://www.usvintagetransam.com/rules/index.html
or
http://coolspringsracing.com/Rules.html

Touring Car and 12th Scale are welcome to run on this day as well....

SPONSORED BY KRC & USVTA
Old 11-19-2009, 03:26 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by Stealth_RT
I agree looking back this might have been a strong idea going forward....we live and we learn. But what Im saying is what if a Company we will call it Company X comes out with an ESC that doesnt advance the timing or have any boost or anything like that and works for 17.5 and 21.5 motors and they were able to sell it for 60.00 to 75.00 dollars would racers buy this? Think about it with the prices of these new ESC's hitting the market could something like this come in and fill a role now needed in spec racing? Would VTA racers embrace a 1 ESC rule if that said ESC was under 75.00 LHS price? I dont know if this can happen or not but just an idea to help with all the issues RC is having as a whole in regards to spec(ing) the racing classes.
Old 11-19-2009, 03:27 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by ercwhtsd
Hey Guys, I do not know if any of you know this, however. I just recieved a couple of Interiors/drivers from McAllister racing.

Part # 423 is a full, left side driver similar to parsec racing and should street price around $15.

Part #419 Is just a driver and wheel and can be mounted to either side, and street price is $9

Your LHS should be able to get them for you, the 2 units I have I am going to hand out to one of our Local VTA Drivers for painting.
Awesome news Eric....what type of material are they made out of?
Old 11-19-2009, 05:07 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Kevin K
Awesome news Eric....what type of material are they made out of?
Same material as their bodies

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.