Tech Master

Trader Rating: 89 (100%+)

This one

http://www.rctech.net/forum/electric...em-off-35.html
Old 02-10-2010, 09:56 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by CHARLIE BROWN
Genius!! just what i needed but what if some people (newbies) want a inexpensive way to get into VTA then how about an RTR with a 27-turn motor
Turns out that the Sprint2 with the 69 Camaro body and wheels/tires is going to be the closest thing to a RTR VTA. Just change to the right ESC and motor, and add the 2S lipo.
Old 02-11-2010, 05:24 AM
Tech Adept

don't forget numbers but some people are just gonna ignore that so nevermind
Old 02-11-2010, 07:25 AM
2xs
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by snoopyrc
Turns out that the Sprint2 with the 69 Camaro body and wheels/tires is going to be the closest thing to a RTR VTA. Just change to the right ESC and motor, and add the 2S lipo.
I just got back into RC after being out of the hobby for 20 years or so. I got a S2S for my stepson and one for myself. I have been running mine in our new VTA class. And I have to say that the car is a pretty good choice for a newb to start with.
Old 02-11-2010, 07:47 AM
Tech Legend

Trader Rating: 294 (100%+)

we got a guy at our tracking running a sprint 2 flux version. even though the ESC cogs, the car works pretty well.

If USVTA would open up the motors, I bet HPI could make a USVTA legal vehicle using there own branded 25.5 and ESC, or who knows, maybe these could license the old SS Pro motors and rebadge them, with USVTA approval?
Old 02-11-2010, 07:57 AM
Company Representative

Or, HPI could offer a USVTA legal vehicle and members could put our Havoc Spec Brushless System-- 25.5T VTA in it......

Originally Posted by Cain
we got a guy at our tracking running a sprint 2 flux version. even though the ESC cogs, the car works pretty well.

If USVTA would open up the motors, I bet HPI could make a USVTA legal vehicle using there own branded 25.5 and ESC, or who knows, maybe these could license the old SS Pro motors and rebadge them, with USVTA approval?
Old 02-11-2010, 08:13 AM
Tech Legend

True. But you have to agree it would be pretty cool to have an out of the box fully legal USVTA car available, who knows maybe even with the lipo included too!

Something setup in the following spec:

- 4wd chassis with USVTA legal tires, body, stickers, and driver figure
- USVTA legal 25.5 combo
- legal lipo
- 2.4 Ghz sport radio
- simple lipo charger

maybe even could include a few pinion gears too.

I wonder if that "out of the box" feel like what the slash has could be appealing here?
Old 02-11-2010, 08:28 AM
Company Representative

Are you familiar with any distributors or hobby dealers that are especially willing to work with USVTA members? It seems like combo-ing up a package, such as you describe, would be do-able---even now--by a reseller with initiative.

We could work with someone offering a race-ready package. All of the elements you list are currently available---just not RTR---more like ARTR.

Originally Posted by Cain
True. But you have to agree it would be pretty cool to have an out of the box fully legal USVTA car available, who knows maybe even with the lipo included too!

Something setup in the following spec:

- 4wd chassis with USVTA legal tires, body, stickers, and driver figure
- USVTA legal 25.5 combo
- legal lipo
- 2.4 Ghz sport radio
- simple lipo charger

maybe even could include a few pinion gears too.

I wonder if that "out of the box" feel like what the slash has could be appealing here?
Old 02-11-2010, 08:45 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by NovakTwo
Are you familiar with any distributors or hobby dealers that are especially willing to work with USVTA members? It seems like combo-ing up a package, such as you describe, would be do-able---even now--by a reseller with initiative.

We could work with someone offering a race-ready package. All of the elements you list are currently available---just not RTR---more like ARTR.

I agree, since this is suppose to be an affordable class of racing, and a good place for a beginner to start. Right now any RTR you buy the tires/wheels, ESC, Motor, and most likely Body need to be replaced. I now have a bunch of parts I can not use, and don't have a great resale value to cover my costs to prep the car for VTA specs.....

It would be nice to have a low cost RTR VTA ready car for people getting started at a minimum.
Old 02-11-2010, 08:59 AM
Tech Legend

Offhand, if I had the pull I know I would work to see Novak & HPI come up together with a purely USVTA legal package out of the box based on the class limitations.

Perfect marriage, definitely not Ike and Tina!
Old 02-11-2010, 10:05 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default Have a Drink

Novak and HPI have both bellied up to the bar in support of USVTA and deserve support for doing so. It might be a little much to ask them to partner on a USVTA-endorsed RTR -- although the idea is a good one.

I started VTA last year, mainly because Ray Murray and SJCCR were running a series locally. My initial idea was to make some 4-cell packs out of my off-road packs and use up some of the old stocker motors that I had kicking around. I had a TC3 for dirt oval, so all i really needed was a body, tires and some paint. Well, I quickly found out that the 4-cell/tired 27T combo didn't cut it. Following the advice of my fellow racers, I went for the Novak Havoc combo and a lipo. Those parts ran flawlessly all last season and will probably do so this season as well. I'll pick up a 25.5 as soon as the series requires me to do so.

I'm perfectly content with Novak as a spec motor. I was down on speed with the Havok ESC (against the Tekins), but I was right in there speed-wise at the Slowbirds, mainly because of the non-turbo/advance rule for the event.

A spec class shouldn't be a technology race. There are other classes to run if you want to spend more and more to go faster and faster. Everybody wins in spec racing: manufacturers can get long product life on the spec part numbers and don't have to get into a high budget R&D war; racers can enjoy competition knowing that their skill is on display, not their wallet; and promoters/track can bring new people into the hobby with a fun and easy-to-understand series.

I've been following this thread (what's it up to now -- 89 million pages?) and I'm still surprised to see people advocating for a loosening of the spec rules so that we can make our retro-looking toy cars go faster.

But back to the original point of an RTR. Maybe HPI can offer a "VTA Race Roller" that's complete except for the Novak bits and the battery. They could include spur and pinion for 4.2 FDR and one of those new ’69 Camaro bodies. I'm sure they could do a nice volume in certain areas of the country. That leaves the newbie with just three purchases -- the roller, the Novak system and a battery.

Bottom line: spec is spec and open is open. Let's keep them that way.
Old 02-11-2010, 10:17 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

And just to keep the broken record spinning....We should all be proud of VTA for the decisions they've made. It's not easy, it may not be popular for all, but it'll keep this class alive when others will be mired in confusion, anger and finally disinterest. Keep your eyes on RCGT and wait for the implosion unless decisions are made.
Old 02-11-2010, 11:17 AM
Tech Apprentice

I keep hearing "USTVA members" how do you join this group? Granted I am still building my car for this summer. But do you get some sort of discount for being a mamber? What is the point of it? I am just wondering thats it.
Old 02-11-2010, 11:26 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by NovakTwo
It seems like combo-ing up a package, such as you describe, would be do-able---even now--by a reseller with initiative.

If I had a shop and a track I would do that. I would buy the HPI S2S and the Novak Havok VTA system and resell them installed and VTA legal.

Originally Posted by CHARLIE BROWN
don't forget numbers but some people are just gonna ignore that so nevermind
I am over the sticker issue. Its actually pretty far off the radar now. If it has to be a race car then let it be a race car. I just wanted a muscle car so I built another car now I have one legal for VTA and one that looks like a hot rod.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.