Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree1Likes

U.S. Vintage Trans-Am Racing

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2009, 06:14 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)

Its like askin Tamiya to run another motor?!!??!? Man, keep it simple!! IF YA GOTTA ASK.................... its NOT LEGAL!!

If you want to experiment with HP and motors, run the other 30 classes offered!!!

Last edited by RCFREAK; 10-15-2009 at 07:23 AM.
Old 10-15-2009, 06:33 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 261 (100%+)

Originally Posted by RCFREAK
Its like askin Tamiya to run another motor?!!??!? Man, keep it simple!! if it 's not posted in the RULES................. its NOT LEGAL!!

If you want to experiment with HP and motors, run the other 30 classes offered!!!
Actually...Tamiya (TCS) DOES run other motors. But I do hear and appreciate what you're saying.

In fact I LOVE what you said (shoulda left it as it was) about "If you gotta ask...it ain't legal". Really, if you even have to THINK about it, it probably ain't legal. How much easier does it get?
Old 10-15-2009, 06:58 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

OK Im just trying to get a feel for this since there are no real Vintage helmet heads to put in the cars, or at least there arent many and they arent very easy to find.

I have seen things like the Carrol Shelby figure, which I'm sure was posted on here as a funny. Honestly that would look really cool in the car, but I dont think that cowboy hat was legal for racing in the late 60's. I guess what Im asking is,"What is the intent of this rule?" Is the purpose to keep it from being as serious as TC? Or is it really about going for all out realism. What would the official reaction be, at a sanctioned event if I put the Shelby in the car, or the driver from a Tamiya Wild Willys Jeep, or the head from a 1970's Evel Knievel, or a Barbie head, Gumby, GI Joe or Snoopy?
Old 10-15-2009, 07:10 AM
Tech Champion

No need for a "vintage" helmet...almost everybody who races a 1:1 Vintage Trans Am car today uses modern safety gear including (most of them) a HANS device. Why should OUR 1/10 vintage racing be any different?

Plus, the key is that you CAN see that there's a "driver representation" in the car as it's circulating the track. You CAN'T see the helmet "vintage". Heck, if you're completely anal about "vintage" go ahead and paint the driver head up as if it had an old open-face Bell. You won't be able to see the detail while it's out on the track, but if it makes you feel better go for it.
Old 10-15-2009, 07:10 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Originally Posted by ~McSmooth~
Originally Posted by padailey
It was a hoot to pull up behind someone and toot the horn!
We do that at The Gate all the time.
So how much BS has to be in one thread in order to ignore a beauty of a post such as this? Nicely done Mr. McManhandler...

-Sean
Old 10-15-2009, 07:18 AM
Tech Champion

This was done awhile ago at our track. Kinda fell off but it was fun at the time.

"We've instituted a new rule for the Vintage TA class:

5.1.4 Motor Noises.

Whoever is in the lead must make appropriate motor noises and squealing tire sounds for the entire period during which they are in the lead. Such noises MUST be capable of being heard at a distance of not less than 100 feet. Should the noise-making leader be overtaken in the course of the race the new leader must then make similar noises while the former leader continues to make noise. This continues, anyone who HAS led or IS leading must be making motor sounds for the remainder of the heat.

Keeps it light, constant reminder that it's ALL fun. We were laughing our a$$es off."
As I started reading this I'm thinking "I've read this before". Then it occured to me...I WROTE IT . Pretty much ignored back then (post #324 in this very thread). But it DOES emphasize the "fun factor". We should roll it out again here.
Old 10-15-2009, 07:24 AM
Tech Champion

As far as "free-revving" motors, a couple observations:

1) It AIN'T "free-revving" if it's installed in a car.

2) Even if it WERE "free-revving" there's a HUGE difference between running an unladen 21.5 motor and an unladen 3.5 motor. The 21.5 motors we're using aren't getting CLOSE to any critical RPM's for the rotor. Period.

I had no idea that checking for "boost" would be so easy...doing so is absolutely a no-brainer. I guess if you're worried about your motor (more like worried about getting caught...) then you'd better not be using an esc that offers such features. Might I recommend the Havoc?
Old 10-15-2009, 07:24 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Scottrik
Actually...Tamiya (TCS) DOES run other motors. But I do hear and appreciate what you're saying.

In fact I LOVE what you said (shoulda left it as it was) about "If you gotta ask...it ain't legal". Really, if you even have to THINK about it, it probably ain't legal. How much easier does it get?
fixed it.....
Old 10-15-2009, 08:54 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

As far as "free-revving" motors, a couple observations:

1) It AIN'T "free-revving" if it's installed in a car.

2) Even if it WERE "free-revving" there's a HUGE difference between running an unladen 21.5 motor and an unladen 3.5 motor. The 21.5 motors we're using aren't getting CLOSE to any critical RPM's for the rotor. Period.

I had no idea that checking for "boost" would be so easy...doing so is absolutely a no-brainer. I guess if you're worried about your motor (more like worried about getting caught...) then you'd better not be using an esc that offers such features. Might I recommend the Havoc?
+1 complete no-brainer. I've heard about this somewhere...
Old 10-15-2009, 08:56 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

This is a bit off-topic, but did anyone catch last Friday night on Speed a show about current racing using classic road cars? I don't recall what circuit they were racing on, but they were running 3 "heats" over the course of 24 hours (including a stint a night).

They were highlighting a few different drivers/cars. There were quite a number of cool cars racing, such as Ford GTs, Ferrari 275's, Jags, Shelby's, etc. The coolest part of the program was watching a real Le Mans start with drivers running across the track. I guess I didn't really appreciate that they have to run and START the car after they jump in. The stewards had to push start one of the cars, which was funny to watch.

I couldn't help but smile as I watched classic cars being actually raced. It reminded me why I enjoy participating in VTA. At the end of the event, a few drivers hopped in a '66 convertible Mustang and headed out of the paddock .
Old 10-15-2009, 09:12 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

As I started reading this I'm thinking "I've read this before". Then it occured to me...I WROTE IT . Pretty much ignored back then (post #324 in this very thread). But it DOES emphasize the "fun factor". We should roll it out again here.
Sorry to not give you credit... I didn't know where it came from. Someone posted it in our regional thread and we had fun with it for awhile.
Old 10-15-2009, 09:19 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

So are the HPI body wizards 'bout done cookin' up some shells yet? I'm about in need of one!
Old 10-15-2009, 09:50 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

to the gurus

I am looking for cheap lipo to start. Is there a significant diff with a 20C to 25C packs running on 21.5t brushless? 20C is 3200 while the 25 is 4000

I was looking to get a used Havoc setup with 21.5t motor.

thanks !
Old 10-15-2009, 09:55 AM
Tech Champion

Sorry to not give you credit... I didn't know where it came from. Someone posted it in our regional thread and we had fun with it for awhile.
No worries. It really was fun as heck, but like a lot of "fun" it got lost in the shuffle. I'm going to suggest we break it back out. It is IMPOSSIBLE to be "too serious" when you're making motor sounds like an 8 year old while playing with your toy car.
Old 10-15-2009, 10:34 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by IndyRC_Racer
This is a bit off-topic, but did anyone catch last Friday night on Speed a show about current racing using classic road cars? I don't recall what circuit they were racing on, but they were running 3 "heats" over the course of 24 hours (including a stint a night).

They were highlighting a few different drivers/cars. There were quite a number of cool cars racing, such as Ford GTs, Ferrari 275's, Jags, Shelby's, etc. The coolest part of the program was watching a real Le Mans start with drivers running across the track. I guess I didn't really appreciate that they have to run and START the car after they jump in. The stewards had to push start one of the cars, which was funny to watch.

I couldn't help but smile as I watched classic cars being actually raced. It reminded me why I enjoy participating in VTA. At the end of the event, a few drivers hopped in a '66 convertible Mustang and headed out of the paddock .

also one of the muscle car mags has Trans-am Racing on the cover...and a full spread on the class with some cool pics and history

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.