Search
Like Tree1Likes

U.S. Vintage Trans-Am Racing

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2008, 06:03 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by reenmachine
Well we ran our first T/A race yesterday and it was a blast! There were just four of us, but based on the overwhelmingly positive feedback we received from everyone there we'll have a full field in no time at all. More than a few guys spent their Sunday night rummaging through their stuff for that old TC3 or whatever.

We ran some different motor setups. The consensus is that our track is just too big for the standard T/A motor/battery rules to be fun. After much debate, our formula is going to be to run 6-cell with hand-out silver can Johnson motors randomly drawn each race. I ran that way yesterday and geared properly it was plenty fast enough to be fun but not nearly fast enough to make the racing ugly. It is the right combo for our particular track.

Several people also expressed interest in running other vintage bodies than those listed, such as a Chevy Bel-Air, some vintage foreign racers, etc. We're going to allow anything pre-'72 or so, and the period-correct paint rules still apply.

Same HPI wheels and tires as Vintage T/A.

It'll be more like watching the Monterey Historics instead of a vintage T/A race. Different eras mixed together, but all nice examples of their era and their type.

We're calling it "Vintage Spec".

So, that's our variation on the theme. It's what works best for our track and our racers. All the credit goes to Vintage T/A for inspiring us and getting the ball rolling!

Here's my Shelby. I took inspiration from the Shelby/Terlingua Racing Team '67 Mustang notchback T/A cars, and changed the yellow to my favorite "Camel Yellow" I run on my other cars.

100% thank you...great pic...you can post it on the pic section as well...
Old 07-28-2008, 06:21 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 21 (96%+)

ran my 21.5/lipo combo for the first time this weekend and its so much nicer...no having to deal with temping or searching for the correct gear ratios. Had the car set to a 4.25 FDR and had the timing tuned one off the max setting on my speedpassion...the car was a rocket down the straight and had great torque in the turns...my setup was garbage though and understeered everywhere
Old 07-28-2008, 06:31 PM

Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)

only prob w/540s, well its the same as before. 'can wars'. oh well, hope it worx

R
Old 07-28-2008, 06:37 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 54 (100%+)

Originally Posted by DARKSIDE
its all about the RAGU!

also if you have a heat gun you can lightly heat them before you go out on the track to avoid the burn out
i was wondering about the heat gun cause i do carry 1 with me to the tracks.

also if i dont have ragu will Prego work?

http://www.bigapplegrocer.net/Script...duct~13678.htm

hahaha I kill me
Old 07-28-2008, 07:13 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I came I raced I took the trophy home. all 100% in the VTA rules at the Top Gun race at Primetime Hobbies in GA

Last edited by nashrcracer; 07-29-2008 at 08:40 PM.
Old 07-28-2008, 07:19 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Originally Posted by nashrcracer
I came I raced I took the trophy home. all 100% in the VTA rules at the Top Gun race at Primetime Hobbies in GA

Man.... the only person goofier than the guy in this pic is the man behind the camera...
Old 07-28-2008, 08:31 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Flying Monkey
i was wondering about the heat gun cause i do carry 1 with me to the tracks.

also if i dont have ragu will Prego work?

http://www.bigapplegrocer.net/Script...duct~13678.htm

hahaha I kill me
let me know if you need some and I will get it to you..

oh Dirla...thats just "classic"...good job on both of you...
Old 07-29-2008, 05:58 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Flying Monkey
yeah thats great IF someone is willing to give that stuff up. Most the time tho when you come in new you dont know anyone really and sure as hell arent gonna ask someone to use their stuff if you dont know them...and have any manners.

I understand what you are saying. I help oversee our racing program and what I do when we have new people show up on a club racing day is I literally take them by the hand and walk them through the pits and try to introduce the new racer to everyone at the track, letting our regulars know the skill level of the new person. It's got to the point now where most regulars of our program make a point of introducing themselves to new people.

Cool thing about our program is we have a full range of drivers showing up from sponsored all the way to rookie. The more experienced sponsored racers have been donating all kinds of gear to the program.

Thanks goes out to Team Hurricane!!
Old 07-29-2008, 06:34 AM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 37 (100%+)

Doug, when you get a chance IM me, I have good news for you
Old 07-29-2008, 06:39 AM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by IndyRC_Racer
If you are going to be running a Losi XXX-S car with 21.5/lipo or 4-cell/17.5, make sure that can put enough gear on it. From talking to a few racers, some extra effort may need to go into getting a big enough pinion for brushless motors especially with 48 pitch gears. I don't believe that 4-cell stock with a XXX-S should be a problem.

This also applies to a TC-3 as well. Without modifying the motor mount area on the chassis or motor cam, you will have to run a smaller than 88 spur to be able to reach max FDR for the 21.5/lipo option. PRS (http://www.precisionracingsystems.com/catalog) makes a 76, 80, and 84 spur if you are looking for something smaller than 88. Robinson Racing (http://www.robinsonracing.com/index.html) makes 78, 81, and 85 also.
I'm running a TC3 with the 21.5 Lipo combo. Currently all I have are 48P gears. The lowest ratio I can get into it is a 69T spur and 33T pinion for a 5.22 FDR. If I change to 64P gears to get down to a 4.2 FDR (84S / 50P) will they fit in the TC3? I guess what I'm asking is how do the diameters of the different pitches of gears compare? Would an 84T spur / 50T pinion in 64 pitch be smaller in diameter than a 69T spur / 33T pinion in 48 pitch? Or should I try and modify the motor mount area or motor cam and use the 48 pitch gears I already have? Thanks for the help.
Old 07-29-2008, 06:50 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

I am running a 3.45 ratio with my TC3, with a 76 spur and a 55 pinion. Only had to lightly sand under the pinion to make it clear the chassis.
Old 07-29-2008, 06:55 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

That's all it takes to use a TC3, just Dremel out the area under the pinion so the 50 to 54 tooth gears clear the chassis. I used a ball engraver to clean up that area, works great.
Old 07-29-2008, 07:26 AM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by Keith Sawyer
I am running a 3.45 ratio with my TC3, with a 76 spur and a 55 pinion. Only had to lightly sand under the pinion to make it clear the chassis.
That is 64 pitch Keith? Did you sand the chassis or the motor cam?
Thanks.
Old 07-29-2008, 07:36 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 75 (100%+)
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by FordGT40
That is 64 pitch Keith? Did you sand the chassis or the motor cam?
Thanks.
The chassis area. There were a lot of TC3s at the 'Nats running 17.5 and the required gearing, so it shouldn't be that much of an issue. I think the car my brother ran was only slightly relieved to make a 53t pinion (64p) fit.

As for corresponding sizes, generally, they will be the same overall diameter between 48p and 64p. The selection can be a little better with the 64p gears though.
Old 07-29-2008, 08:39 AM

Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)

Trans Am is Dope!

i have 3 and still havent run 1 of em yet. shame not more bodies b/c i could almost see the Race Haus doing Micro Trans Am this winter lol.

R

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.