Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree1Likes

U.S. Vintage Trans-Am Racing

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2008, 09:36 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

i just heard about this and this is the best thing for RC racing since the T-Maxx. Not only is it fun to race but it combine the almost unanimous intrest in old school muscle cars to have fun. This is bomb

Question one- is there anyone that races at RC excitement in MA proposed starting a class

Question two- I dont have the time two read all 64 pages but has there been any magazine coverage of this yet because once there is the populatity should sky rocket
Old 07-29-2008, 09:39 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 54 (100%+)

Originally Posted by mrrc
i just heard about this and this is the best thing for RC racing since the T-Maxx. Not only is it fun to race but it combine the almost unanimous intrest in old school muscle cars to have fun. This is bomb

Question one- is there anyone that races at RC excitement in MA proposed starting a class

Question two- I dont have the time two read all 64 pages but has there been any magazine coverage of this yet because once there is the populatity should sky rocket
yes in the last issue of rc driver i think it was
Old 07-29-2008, 09:46 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Originally Posted by nashrcracer
hey monkey can you email me the full size one to this? I need something for my wallpaper! thanks
That would be one of mine PM me your email and desktop size I'll send it to you.
Old 07-30-2008, 12:36 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by reenmachine
Oh man, I forgot to tell you guys about our LeMans start! We lined the cars up on the edge of the front straight at an angle. Then you had to set your tx on the railing of the driver's stand and stand with your back against the opposite railing at the back. When the horn blew it was on! Great fun, and the spectators loved it.

NOW THATS THE IDEA...wish we would but most of these guys are...well you know...lol

I bet it was great for the crowd ...cool
Old 07-30-2008, 01:08 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

For the SPEED Freaks in this class - how slow are the speeds compared to regular 6 cell/ Stock touring?

I'm really wanting and hoping to be able to get this class going locally, and want to keep it to the current rules already put in play...but haven't had a chance to try it myself yet...
Old 07-30-2008, 05:53 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by SWTour
For the SPEED Freaks in this class - how slow are the speeds compared to regular 6 cell/ Stock touring?
I'm not sure how to answer the question because one can look at "speed" for RC cars in a few different ways. Actual MPH, or perceived speed while you are driving the car from the driver's stand.

Last weekend a cop was at our track and used his radar gun on our straightaway.

Modified 4WD sedans were hitting 40MPH on our 110 foot straightway and the TA cars were at 24MPH.

You could take your sedan with a stock motor installed, gearing it at a 5.4 FDR and run it with six cells first, then go back to the pits and install a 4 cell pack and run it again.

Racing in the class has a different "feel". In Mod racing driver's cars can have all kinds of different top speeds and you perceive that from the driver's stand. TA being a stock motor everyone is extremley close in speed and I think what I feel on the driver's stand is that my car's speed is never faster than what I can handle, unlike racing Mod class, where many times the car is going faster than I can handle. I'm an intermediate skill kind of racer......
Old 07-30-2008, 07:05 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by SWTour

I'm really wanting and hoping to be able to get this class going locally, and want to keep it to the current rules already put in play...but haven't had a chance to try it myself yet...
this past weekend was the 1st time I ran 4 cell...it was really slow to me, but some of the other guys that had been running it for awhile cars were faster than mine...it probably was in the FDR...but back home we run 6 cell/7.4 lipo with 27t/17.5 and its faster but not as fast as our stock touring cars...

I think that even if you run the 21.5/lipo you will have good speed...but with the gear restiction you will be slowed down alot....

the bodies,tires and weight all play a speed factor in this class...its not tc thank goodness....but it is the "FUN" class of r/c racing...good luck with whatever you guys get going..
Old 07-30-2008, 07:13 AM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by Keith Sawyer
Just the chassis and it didn't take much. It is 64 pitch, Nexus has the large pinions and small spurs
Thanks Keith. I ordered an 84T spur and a 50T pinion yesterday from Nexus. Hopefully I can make it work.
Old 07-30-2008, 07:24 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 75 (100%+)
Thumbs up

Just my opinion, but if you are a speed freak looking for a fix, this class is not for you.

If you want cool looking realistic bodies, large car counts, big spectator involvement, unbelievably close racing from top to bottom and plenty of laughs on the driver's stand, then you have come to the right place.

Trans Am is proving to racers all across the country that speed is not necessarily a component needed for great racing and strong class participation.

Old 07-30-2008, 08:23 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Originally Posted by ApexSpeed
Just my opinion, but if you are a speed freak looking for a fix, this class is not for you.

If you want cool looking realistic bodies, large car counts, big spectator involvement, unbelievably close racing from top to bottom and plenty of laughs on the driver's stand, then you have come to the right place.

Trans Am is proving to racers all across the country that speed is not necessarily a component needed for great racing and strong class participation.

Now all I need is a track in MD that has an offroad and onroad track so I can race Slash and USVTA.
Old 07-30-2008, 09:33 AM
Tech Initiate

What is the diameter of the tires for this class? I'm trying to figure out what spur and pinion I need to buy. What is a good FDR to shoot for using a 27T?
Old 07-30-2008, 09:37 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 36 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Dragonfish
What is a good FDR to shoot for using a 27T?
Suggested gearing FDR recommendations:

27t brushed/4-cell: 5.4 - 5.7 FDR
Old 07-30-2008, 09:39 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 75 (100%+)

What is the diameter of the tires for this class? I'm trying to figure out what spur and pinion I need to buy. What is a good FDR to shoot for using a 27T?
Don't worry about rollout, as everyone uses the same tires. It's not an issue.

The suggested FDRs for each motor/battery combo are listed here on the USVTA website. There is also an Excell gear ratio calculator that you can find on that page that will help you get to the proper FDR for your chassis.
Old 07-30-2008, 09:41 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 54 (100%+)

I started with a 5.4 this weekend as my first try...first on road car totally.

came off at 280 degrees....OUCH!

regeared to a 5.7 and came off track at about 170-180 degrees from there on out.
Old 07-30-2008, 10:40 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Modified 4WD sedans were hitting 40MPH on our 110 foot straightway and the TA cars were at 24MPH.
This IS the type of answer I was looking for...useful info on which will help me with who I try to target for the class.

This is why I asked the question...I know I have guys that would LOVE this class...especially if it's kind of slow but competitive...where others would NOT be interested because they are about SPEED.

Having an idea of what has been seen speed wise is very helpful.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.