Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 52 (96%+)

They look cool.
Old 02-12-2008, 05:40 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 75 (100%+)
Thumbs up

Nice looking cars!

Just a reminder, to anyone building a class and trying to get it established at their track, the rules can be downloaded as a PDF from the USVTAA website. This may help in gaining some immediate acceptance and helping other guys build their cars.

Also, please do remember to send in your track's information when you do get this grassroots class up and running.

Looks like we may have 18-20 T/A cars this Sunday at the Nats home track in Winthrop Harbor, Illinois. Anyone looking to see what this class is like should come out if you are in driving distance, and if you have a car, get in the game. It's always a really great race day when Trans Am is running.

We are also running a few sheets of full color test decals this week to see how they turn out, and may be for sale in the future if anyone is interested. I will be releasing artwork this week also for the black and white race decals for the Nats, as well, which you may also buy as soon as they are ready.

Old 02-12-2008, 10:09 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Any more info on the Nats? Cost.. times... Who are the 20 in the 50 lapper?
Old 02-12-2008, 11:31 AM
Tech Elite

Thumbs up

We should have the PDF entry form and event rundown sometime this week, if not early next.

Top 20 cars on the afternoon will be invited to participate in the 50-lapper at the end of the race day.

Estimated race cost will be $20, and that will include USVTA decal sheets for your car. Obviously at this point, nothing is 100% confirmed.

doug
Old 02-13-2008, 08:48 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 40 (100%+)

Originally Posted by ApexSpeed
Don't bother with calculating rollout—the tires are all the same for everyone. Final drive ratio for 4-cell brushed motors is right in the area of 6.0 to be in the ballpark. I found my car worked the best in the area of 5.9 FDR, but you really need to be smooth with the momentum of the car. 6.0 to 6.1 FDR give you a little more off the bottom if you have a lot of slow corners.
Was there an agreement on this FDR and a chart for tech inspection?

Thanks for the clarification.
Old 02-14-2008, 05:21 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Grenade10
Was there an agreement on this FDR and a chart for tech inspection?

Thanks for the clarification.
FDR is open with brushed motors (and maybe soon with brushless too), so you're free to use whatever best suits your own track. Most guys are using between 5.6 and 6 FDR in brushed cars.

There is a FDR calculator (Excel spreadsheet) that is available for download somewhere else in this thread and on the USVTAA website, in the rules section.
Old 02-14-2008, 09:23 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Hey guys

I have been reading the forum and I love the idea of this class. the rule layout seem fair also. The only down side is the battery rule, I have jumped on the Lipo band wagon and will never go back to the Nimh. I quess that this class will be out of my reach for awhile. I understand the speed issue as I have two boys that also race with me and parts become very $$$ after a while. I would love to see this class as an endurace class just like the real cars. I will be wait and watching this thread closely.

P.S. Does any one have info on the 2008 race season for Colorado Springs, CO MARCAR has cancelled their season for 08 and now I am lookin for a place to race electric cars

Rodney
Old 02-14-2008, 09:54 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

We are running Lipo in our outdoor series with 13.5 or stock, but we will be slowing them down for next year. Probably a 21.5 or something like that.

Originally Posted by TMHippo
Hey guys

I have been reading the forum and I love the idea of this class. the rule layout seem fair also. The only down side is the battery rule, I have jumped on the Lipo band wagon and will never go back to the Nimh. I quess that this class will be out of my reach for awhile. I understand the speed issue as I have two boys that also race with me and parts become very $$$ after a while. I would love to see this class as an endurace class just like the real cars. I will be wait and watching this thread closely.

P.S. Does any one have info on the 2008 race season for Colorado Springs, CO MARCAR has cancelled their season for 08 and now I am lookin for a place to race electric cars

Rodney
Old 02-14-2008, 10:48 AM
Tech Regular

Tim

How close is the racing? What kind of run times are you getting?

Rodney
Old 02-14-2008, 11:09 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

We run 6 minute heats with an 8 minute main... The race is close... but we would like to see it closer... and slower...

We went with the 13.5 because everyone already had them, and we wanted Lipo for the ease of use... This class is a second or third class to the racers, so we wanted it as simple as possible.

I think we can get to about the right speed with a 21.5...
Old 02-14-2008, 11:54 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Originally Posted by ApexSpeed
FDR is open with brushed motors (and maybe soon with brushless too), so you're free to use whatever best suits your own track. Most guys are using between 5.6 and 6 FDR in brushed cars.

There is a FDR calculator (Excel spreadsheet) that is available for download somewhere else in this thread and on the USVTAA website, in the rules section.
Actually, Doug, I ran my Trans-Am with a CO27 last week at a 5.2 FDR and I was quite surprised at its speed and consistency. Then again, I had fairly good cells in the car ...that helps with carrying the gear.
The '63 Vette is a sweet body on the track, but the rear is a little light at high speed (no wing or spoiler). The balance is great in the infield though. I was 2.0 seconds off Josh H's pace.
Old 02-14-2008, 12:40 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Brian McGreevy
Actually, Doug, I ran my Trans-Am with a CO27 last week at a 5.2 FDR and I was quite surprised at its speed and consistency. Then again, I had fairly good cells in the car ...that helps with carrying the gear.
The '63 Vette is a sweet body on the track, but the rear is a little light at high speed (no wing or spoiler). The balance is great in the infield though. I was 2.0 seconds off Josh H's pace.

Like I said, MOST people are running 5.6 to 6.0 safely. Any lower than that, and you have to be perfectly smooth, as the bottom end is gone, and that gearing can be a little more abusive on the comm and brushes.

Also, the '63 Vette body from Bolink isn't legal in any USVTA races. But you knew that already, right?
Old 02-14-2008, 02:24 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Oh, I know.

I'll probably either get a Camaro or 'Cuda before the Nationals in April. At this point I'm leaning towards the Camaro because it has less stuff to bolt on---less weight, and less likely to crack/break.

That gearing actually has great bottom-end (for a Trans-Am) as long as the car is taken around the corner the right way. If the car is pitched into the corner it's sluggish.
Old 02-14-2008, 04:03 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

Are you racing sunday McGreevy??
Old 02-14-2008, 05:29 PM
Tech Regular

Hey guys

Quick ? on bodies. Do the camaro's and cuda's have an advange due to the rear spoiler? I like the mustangs but they have no spoiler and the wing is illegal.

Thanks Rodney

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.