Tamiya TRF416 / TRF416WE / TRF416X

Like Tree4Likes

Tamiya TRF416 / TRF416WE / TRF416X

Old 01-17-2008, 12:19 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Jilles
Hello Guys,

Attached my set-up from DHI Cup last weekend.
Marc's set-up was same, Viktor only used 0.5mm rollcenter shims and front 0.5mm anti-dive.

Jilles
Hey Jilles,

First off, well done on the good result at the DHI. All three cars in the A (plus the win), damm good.

Thanks for the setup. When you say Viktor used only 0.5mm roll centre shims, do you mean on the rear (i.e. Kit setup)?

Also, is the rebound strock measurement how little rebound you use? This is a setting I've only just started to play with, when do you alter it for your setups, or is it something you tend to set and leave?

Regards
Ed
Old 01-17-2008, 05:40 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

yo Junior ya it should fit, since the 416 use the same arms as the 415msx
Old 01-18-2008, 06:57 AM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by Vicko
yo Junior ya it should fit, since the 416 use the same arms as the 415msx
Cool does anyone run that suspension anymore? Dont think Ive ever seen it in any pics on marc or viktors cars
Old 01-18-2008, 07:05 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 100 (100%+)

Originally Posted by The Junior
Cool does anyone run that suspension anymore? Dont think Ive ever seen it in any pics on marc or viktors cars

Yo Junior, Wat up Man!!............ You running Tamiya this year??.......... Hope to be mixing it up with you and Sr. soon...... Can't wait for some outdoor racing.

Later Bro!
Old 01-18-2008, 09:17 AM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by Kwikvdub
Yo Junior, Wat up Man!!............ You running Tamiya this year??.......... Hope to be mixing it up with you and Sr. soon...... Can't wait for some outdoor racing.

Later Bro!
Whats up Alex how ya been? Yeah man the outdoor season is gonna be good this year with the Express race and 301 hosting 2 races I know of so far. I might have a tamiya soon I dunno yet with the 008 having so many new parts I would pretty much have to overhaul my parts stock so the 416 is one of many cars ive been looking into to try. Ill def be seeing you this summer. YOUR NOT GONNA WANNA MISS THE RACE AT THE COLISEUM THIS YEAR!
Old 01-18-2008, 11:23 AM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by The Junior
Ill def be seeing you this summer. YOUR NOT GONNA WANNA MISS THE RACE AT THE COLISEUM THIS YEAR!

Got my 416 during the Holidays and plan on running it all summer long. Just waiting for the TI screws and Spool to come out to start the build. I highly recommend the Tamiya brand. Always dialed wherever you go and pretty durable. You'll be pleased.

Will do my best to head south for that race. Regards to Sr.
Old 01-18-2008, 12:15 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Hey Junior, you got any dates on the "C" race? If so, lemme know. I can plan a trip back up there. Goin to the Roar nats this year in June? I'll be heading out there.

Hey Kwik, just use the MRE spool for now. Simple and easy setup.
Old 01-18-2008, 01:11 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by JimmyMac

Thanks Jimmy. Will look into it.
Old 01-18-2008, 01:44 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by JimmyMac
Hey Junior, you got any dates on the "C" race? If so, lemme know. I can plan a trip back up there. Goin to the Roar nats this year in June? I'll be heading out there.

Most Likely July, someone down your will know more then I do
Old 01-18-2008, 03:25 PM
Tech Rookie

Hello,

Peter, the upper arm spacer was 5mm. Standard is 3mm but we all used 5mm to get the front camber link more level. This gave smoother steering, not so much camber change.

David, thanks for your comments! You can not imagine how happy I'm with my new ride!

Ed, the shims that Viktor used were on the rear on both suspension blocks and front only on the back suspension block to have little anti-dive. Tonight I tested it at my local indoor track and it was awesome.
The rebound I set very little in the shocks (3mm) so that helped the car not to flip to much going in the corner.
When the traction is good that always works with little rebound.

Jilles
Old 01-18-2008, 03:35 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Jilles, can you please explain your technique for setting/adjusting rebound in the shocks. Thank you. Good to see you at Tamiya and also on the forum helping us racers. Thanks again!
Old 01-18-2008, 04:24 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Jilles
Hello,

Peter, the upper arm spacer was 5mm. Standard is 3mm but we all used 5mm to get the front camber link more level. This gave smoother steering, not so much camber change.

David, thanks for your comments! You can not imagine how happy I'm with my new ride!

Ed, the shims that Viktor used were on the rear on both suspension blocks and front only on the back suspension block to have little anti-dive. Tonight I tested it at my local indoor track and it was awesome.
The rebound I set very little in the shocks (3mm) so that helped the car not to flip to much going in the corner.
When the traction is good that always works with little rebound.

Jilles
Thanks Jilles,

I see, so Victor had a slightly higher rear roll centre.
I played with the roll centre last weekend, and had 0.5mm under all the blocks. (front included) I'm thinking of trying even more next time out at Carpet Wars... but as I'm only running 27t stock there, I guess I can get away with running the roll centre a little higher anyway (similar in some respects to the DHI track, the tracks are big and usually quite open).

Thanks for the info, I've got two sets of shocks made up for this weekend for some back to back running, one set up with very little rebound, and one with 100%... certainly interested to see if I can feel a difference... at least i now know what I'm looking for

Cheers
Ed
Old 01-18-2008, 04:54 PM
Tech Addict

Jilles, thank you for taking time to answer my questions regarding the 416 at the DHI cup! It was great watching the finals!

I use the standard setup for the 416, but with the spool. White/Blue springs. Tamiya green damper oil (500cps i belive).
Any suggestions to make the car a little less agressive? (a little less turn-in, but without sacrificing steering at mid/end of corner)
I was thinking about having less spacers at the ball studs at the center steering bracket (that would be less ackermann, right?)

Suggestions anyone?
Old 01-18-2008, 05:14 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 50 (100%+)

Originally Posted by OleC
Jilles, thank you for taking time to answer my questions regarding the 416 at the DHI cup! It was great watching the finals!

I use the standard setup for the 416, but with the spool. White/Blue springs. Tamiya green damper oil (500cps i belive).
Any suggestions to make the car a little less agressive? (a little less turn-in, but without sacrificing steering at mid/end of corner)
I was thinking about having less spacers at the ball studs at the center steering bracket (that would be less ackermann, right?)

Suggestions anyone?
Try the anti-dive up front like Jilles explained. It will probably be exactly what you're looking for. It will make the car less aggressive without sacrificing steering.
Old 01-18-2008, 11:37 PM
Tech Apprentice

Hi all,

when I was on DHI I studied all the 3 setups from marc, victor and jilles. They were nearly same.

Regading the spacers on jilles' front: It was 5mm as you can see here:

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.