Search
Like Tree4Likes

Tamiya TRF416 / TRF416WE / TRF416X

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2007, 12:39 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by kentech
Why do you think it's an Atlas design?

I would have though the the Atlas stickers are because he's running an Atlas battery...
The reason I started to think in this direction is that atlas stickers are on both satoshis, Victors and marcs cars. Team much more would be a more logical choice if they needed more batteries (which they sure needed, 4cell -> oneruns) as they are all sponsered by them. Team Atlas also was the partner of the 414 series and satoshi has ties with that company since before joining tamiya.
But hey, I could be wrong just some thinking from my part
Old 11-19-2007, 12:57 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Its likely a tie in similar to that with Tech racing, in that part of the car may have been designed out of house. If you remember, the drive lineof the 415 was designed by Tech, the suspension by Tamiya

The battery reasoning doesn't really stand up, as all thoose drivers have their own suppliers, Marc is with Checkpoint, not sure on Victor (orion?) or Sastoshi (Transpeed?).
Old 11-19-2007, 01:24 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 23 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Mr_Orange
The TRF416 seems to be a atlas design again.
http://y-trail.de-blog.jp/maruyo/
Short arms and flipped suspension mount to clear the offset front belt, so no special rear suspension mount for the front.
Old 11-19-2007, 01:35 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

The Atlas bettery is seen quite clearly in the pictures of Marc's 416.

Also just noticed this to confirm it.

http://www.miwahobby.co.jp/atlasa/jatlas/jtopics.html
Old 11-19-2007, 01:40 AM
Tech Champion

Ahh ok, I thought Marc was running the Checkpoint Signature (IB) 4200's, heatshrink looks similar.

Any more info on these Atlas 4300's? How come lots of drivers were running them then?

@Mical, The flipped front block was seen on the production car, as, like you say, it makes sense as the front belt is now off-set. Looks like Marc was running a bit of arm sweep too, maybe 0.5 - 1deg.

Short arms are on the car too... interesting. Also, that oneway unit looks similar to the 501X version...

Last edited by TryHard; 11-19-2007 at 04:01 AM.
Old 11-19-2007, 04:20 AM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by syndr0me
Where do you Tamiya types go for your setups? Is there a central repository or something?

If a guy was considering getting his first Tamiya, what kind of stuff would he want to get? I imagine there's some kind of spring set to acquire, and maybe a sway bar set? Anything else? I'm in the market for a new rubber/carpet car, and the 416 is on my short list.
Hey syndrome, if you can read Japanese, theres the official Tamiya TRF site..
www.tamiya.com/trf

Otherwise Tamiya USA has a TRF Race Centre
http://www.tamiyausa.com/product/trf_page.php

And failing that (not trying to blow my own trumpet)... www.thard.co.uk
I'll be putting 416 info (build tips, photos, setups etc) up there as soon as it arrives... might even try a proper build review!

If I'm honest, theres not a big site with loads of setups, like Xray or similar, and support from the teams drivers can be a bit limited, although there are a few who frequent on here (Josh Numan being one that springs to mind). Of course, you've also got a load of useful people on here (415 thread is one of the largest in terms of post count... though it does cover 5car generations)

In terms of gear required... I would suspect all you need for a 416 would be;

2x Spring set (TAM53440), with a pair each of soft (red), med (yellow), hard (blue), extra hard (white) springs. They are the usual ranges used, on the 415 at least, and I don't see the 416 being too much different.
Other compaines do fit as well, the HPI springs are also popular.

Extra suspension blocks, if you want to run less rear toe. Not sure what the car comes with at the moment, and also not sure if it's going to use exaclty the same blocks as the 415... so one to sit on and wait for a bit.

Otherwise, just a case of stocking up on the usual spares really, such as C-hubs, knuckle and arms (grab a set of Short LWT's as well, useful tuning option). I don't carry a huge number of parts with me at anyway, very rarely break anything on the car... can't remember the last time I broke a c-hub, let alone a wishbone!

One thing I certainly will be doing though, is changing the blue aluminium steering links to titanium versions. I'm a hell of a lot better driver than I used to be, so crash a lot, lot less, but still doesn't account for other drivers! And long Aluminium links like those are inviting trouble IMO.

Anyway, hope it helps... and you know the blue looks soooo preeeedy
Ed
Old 11-19-2007, 04:42 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by TryHard
Hey syndrome, if you can read Japanese, theres the official Tamiya TRF site..
www.tamiya.com/trf

Otherwise Tamiya USA has a TRF Race Centre
http://www.tamiyausa.com/product/trf_page.php

And failing that (not trying to blow my own trumpet)... www.thard.co.uk
I'll be putting 416 info (build tips, photos, setups etc) up there as soon as it arrives... might even try a proper build review!

If I'm honest, theres not a big site with loads of setups, like Xray or similar, and support from the teams drivers can be a bit limited, although there are a few who frequent on here (Josh Numan being one that springs to mind). Of course, you've also got a load of useful people on here (415 thread is one of the largest in terms of post count... though it does cover 5car generations)

In terms of gear required... I would suspect all you need for a 416 would be;

2x Spring set (TAM53440), with a pair each of soft (red), med (yellow), hard (blue), extra hard (white) springs. They are the usual ranges used, on the 415 at least, and I don't see the 416 being too much different.
Other compaines do fit as well, the HPI springs are also popular.

Extra suspension blocks, if you want to run less rear toe. Not sure what the car comes with at the moment, and also not sure if it's going to use exaclty the same blocks as the 415... so one to sit on and wait for a bit.

Otherwise, just a case of stocking up on the usual spares really, such as C-hubs, knuckle and arms (grab a set of Short LWT's as well, useful tuning option). I don't carry a huge number of parts with me at anyway, very rarely break anything on the car... can't remember the last time I broke a c-hub, let alone a wishbone!

One thing I certainly will be doing though, is changing the blue aluminium steering links to titanium versions. I'm a hell of a lot better driver than I used to be, so crash a lot, lot less, but still doesn't account for other drivers! And long Aluminium links like those are inviting trouble IMO.

Anyway, hope it helps... and you know the blue looks soooo preeeedy
Ed
be a first :P
Old 11-19-2007, 04:46 AM
Tech Master

Ahh ok, I thought Marc was running the Checkpoint Signature (IB) 4200's, heatshrink looks similar.

Any more info on these Atlas 4300's? How come lots of drivers were running them then?

@Mical, The flipped front block was seen on the production car, as, like you say, it makes sense as the front belt is now off-set. Looks like Marc was running a bit of arm sweep too, maybe 0.5 - 1deg.

Short arms are on the car too... interesting. Also, that oneway unit looks similar to the 501X version...
does the word "geek" ever get used near you Ed...:P
Old 11-19-2007, 04:56 AM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by ooliganRC
does the word "geek" ever get used near you Ed...:P
Quite often in fact... I prefer to call it "passionate about my hobby"....
Old 11-19-2007, 07:55 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

Thanks TryHard, I appreciate it!
Old 11-19-2007, 08:01 AM
Tech Lord

Is the 416 supposed to address issues with internal ratio, and reaching proper gearing for 13.5 motors?
Old 11-19-2007, 08:05 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 108 (100%+)

I believe it's a 2.05 ratio. It should help some.
Old 11-19-2007, 08:48 AM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by syndr0me
Is the 416 supposed to address issues with internal ratio, and reaching proper gearing for 13.5 motors?
didn't realise there was an issue with gearnig 13.5's... what sort of ratio you trying to get close too?
Old 11-19-2007, 08:50 AM
Tech Lord

didn't realise there was an issue with gearnig 13.5's... what sort of ratio you trying to get close too?
Oh, maybe I misunderstood some of the things I was reading previously in the 415 thread about attempting to change its internal ratio. I'm still fresh off a foam background, so I'm still speaking rollout. With LiPo and a LRP or 13mm Novak 13.5, I'm anywhere from 46 to 50mm.
Old 11-19-2007, 10:20 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Hk will before X'mas & Japan release date release !

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.