R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Like Tree3Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 01-04-2010, 10:06 AM   #7696
Tech Regular
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 410
Trader Rating: 24 (96%+)
Default question

Hello, I have herd that people are switching from the stock 44mm blue aluminum axel to the 46mm steel axel up front. I just built my car and the only thing I did't like was that when I put the arm all the way up with the 46mm, it touches the spool . Anybody that has done this change, has anyone ever had a problem with this change while using it. I believe people said they made this change to save the spool, as the axel hung out to close to the end and it would brake the ends. Let me know please don't want to put it out there if some has already experience a bad problem with this, thanks. Sorry the only reason I ask is not because it touches. It actually travels pretty smooth around the inner circle of the end of the spool . The only thing I don't like. That when it is spinning, the part where it gets to the split. Where the actual axel sits .When it get to that part it kind of jumps. Sorry tried to explain as best as I could . If someone could please help I'd apreciate, thanks.
saleen95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 10:22 AM   #7697
Tech Elite
 
M-Technic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Palm Beach, FL
Posts: 2,562
Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)
Default

I ran the 46mm steel axles with with 1D/1D blocks up front, but when I went back to the 1C/1C I switched to 44mm steel axles to keep them from binding on the spool.
__________________
RCAmerica | Xray | Hudy | Radiopost | Speed Passion USA | Trinity | P3 Graphics
M-Technic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 10:36 AM   #7698
Tech Regular
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 410
Trader Rating: 24 (96%+)
Default 416

So then I was right with the stock 1c I will have a binding issue with these axels. Ok then I will look for some steel 44 because I don't think this pretty blue ones will last to long with a spool upfront. thanks
saleen95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 11:30 AM   #7699
Tech Elite
 
SammyZ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: New England
Posts: 3,046
Trader Rating: 138 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by saleen95 View Post
So then I was right with the stock 1c I will have a binding issue with these axels. Ok then I will look for some steel 44 because I don't think this pretty blue ones will last to long with a spool upfront. thanks
its like a freaking joke, if you just look at them wrong they will break or bend. Its the softest aluminum man has created, the steel on the other hand is actually quite nice and at only $8.20/pair its very affordable.
__________________
Hotbodies USA
SweepRacing USA
SammyZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 11:37 AM   #7700
Tech Elite
 
Raman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Las Vegas
Posts: 3,259
Trader Rating: 56 (100%+)
Default

I need an fdr of 10.5 for a 3.5 velocity. With the 105 I would need a 21T 0.4... Does Tamiya make a pinion that small in 0.4 pitch?
Raman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 11:55 AM   #7701
Tech Champion
 
gashuffer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: RcVille
Posts: 5,230
Trader Rating: 48 (100%+)
Default

sixtifour
pitc
will
work
gashuffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 12:10 PM   #7702
Tech Champion
 
TryHard's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Sydney, NSW
Posts: 5,270
Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Default

[QUOTE=Davzone;6804294]hey all!

Can i use the tamiya 51344 rear belt on a 416we?
i didn't fint how many tooth it has and the we
are they the same?[/QUOTE

Yup, the WE belts were a different material to the original cars, but had the same number of teeth.
Won't work with an X though, too short.

HiH
Ed
__________________
| THard.co.uk | Xray | MuchMore |
TryHard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 12:15 PM   #7703
Tech Champion
 
TryHard's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Sydney, NSW
Posts: 5,270
Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by saleen95 View Post
So then I was right with the stock 1c I will have a binding issue with these axels. Ok then I will look for some steel 44 because I don't think this pretty blue ones will last to long with a spool upfront. thanks
IMO (and Jiles', if you watch his videos...), you won't get any binding issues with the 46mm driveshafts. You won't get that amount of travel whilst the car is going round the track...
I've been running the 46mm steels for a while now, and only in a very big hit did I actually break an outdrive, where as before with the 44's, would regularly break them.

Or, too put it another way, if it's good enough for a TRF team driver, it's good enough for me

One thing that should be mentioned to ensure smooth spool operation, is too ream out the outdrive a little using a 6mm dia drill bit from the driveshaft end. Just ensures that the driveshaft moves up and down easily.

HiH
Ed
__________________
| THard.co.uk | Xray | MuchMore |
TryHard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 12:20 PM   #7704
Tech Adept
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Lund, Sweden
Posts: 159
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raman View Post
I need an fdr of 10.5 for a 3.5 velocity. With the 105 I would need a 21T 0.4... Does Tamiya make a pinion that small in 0.4 pitch?
Yes they do, http://www.tamiyausa.com/product/ite...oduct-id=53101
But you need a WE or X motor bulkhead to fit it with a 105 spur.
Mr_Orange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 01:38 PM   #7705
Tech Elite
 
Raman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Las Vegas
Posts: 3,259
Trader Rating: 56 (100%+)
Default

Thanks for the link and 64p... suggestion

Mine is a WE.. I also have a bunch of 0.4 spurs in 112, 120, & 128 from my old TA04 TRF.. Going to see if they'll fit, have a feeling only 112 will
Raman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 07:38 PM   #7706
Tech Regular
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 410
Trader Rating: 24 (96%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TryHard View Post
IMO (and Jiles', if you watch his videos...), you won't get any binding issues with the 46mm driveshafts. You won't get that amount of travel whilst the car is going round the track...
I've been running the 46mm steels for a while now, and only in a very big hit did I actually break an outdrive, where as before with the 44's, would regularly break them.

Or, too put it another way, if it's good enough for a TRF team driver, it's good enough for me

One thing that should be mentioned to ensure smooth spool operation, is too ream out the outdrive a little using a 6mm dia drill bit from the driveshaft end. Just ensures that the driveshaft moves up and down easily.

HiH
Ed
Yeah, I did think about that as well . I wondered weather the arm would even bottom out . I don't think it will either till I crash. That will probably be were I end up getting some binding and probably get it cought on the spool. Oh well, I think I am going to just give it a shot. But what your saying is that the 44 mm don't go in as much and I'll be breaking the outdrives anyways correct, thanks.
saleen95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 08:08 PM   #7707
Tech Apprentice
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 78
Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by saleen95 View Post
Yeah, I did think about that as well . I wondered weather the arm would even bottom out . I don't think it will either till I crash. That will probably be were I end up getting some binding and probably get it cought on the spool. Oh well, I think I am going to just give it a shot. But what your saying is that the 44 mm don't go in as much and I'll be breaking the outdrives anyways correct, thanks.
what about yokomo 45.5mm shafts would they work.

parts numbers i have found
YOK-BD-010F Yokomo BD5 Front Universal Shaft 45.5mm
YOK-BD-010455 Yokomo BD5 Universal Bone 45.5mm

Last edited by rwmjd007; 01-04-2010 at 08:26 PM.
rwmjd007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 09:06 PM   #7708
PDR
Tech Master
 
PDR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Sydney, Australia
Posts: 1,826
Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy Caster View Post
Never going to do business with them again.. Ordered 10 pairs of Sorex tires, received one, no reply to email or messages. When I did a chargeback on my card I got a threatening letter from them saying to cancel it.
Fair 'nuff. Only ordered the once from them, and it was fine. A possible alternative is a Tamiya part: 53970 Ball Differential Protective Seal. Doesn't explicitly list the 416, but looks pretty close and may be easier to source.

Phil.
__________________
Looking for chassis | Multiple Kids
2011 Slowest Winner - 21.5 Muchmore Masters & NSW State Titles Demo Class
https://www.facebook.com/phatdadracing/
Making an A Main at a Scotty Ernst event. Awesome. Scotty calling you first in A1. Priceless
PDR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 09:44 PM   #7709
Tech Champion
 
CraigM's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Sydney, Australia
Posts: 7,009
Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)
Default

I'm sure I ran B/B up front with the 46mm swing shafts and had no issue. I ran C/C for AGES without any binding issues so I wouldn't be worried.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PDR View Post
A possible alternative is a Tamiya part: 53970 Ball Differential Protective Seal. Doesn't explicitly list the 416, but looks pretty close and may be easier to source.
They are similar but the hole in the middle is much larger so it doesn't seal as well and more gunk gets in. It's really easy to cut your own just like the jaad ones though, I've been doing this for a while now since I cant seem to order from precision anymore
__________________
www.facebook.com/mcpheerc
CraigM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2010, 12:17 AM   #7710
Tech Master
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 1,305
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigM View Post
I'm sure I ran B/B up front with the 46mm swing shafts and had no issue. I ran C/C for AGES without any binding issues so I wouldn't be worried.


They are similar but the hole in the middle is much larger so it doesn't seal as well and more gunk gets in. It's really easy to cut your own just like the jaad ones though, I've been doing this for a while now since I cant seem to order from precision anymore
you can get all ghetto and use painter's tape. The inside radius is 7.3mm, and the outside radius is 18.3mm. I re-used them for three rebuilds already, and painter's tape happens to be blue too
redbones is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
TRF416 sim600 Malaysian R/C Racers 15 01-09-2010 11:08 AM
TRF416 speedart Electric On-Road 26 06-27-2007 04:28 AM
new joke cyber3d Chat Lounge 5 08-02-2006 02:52 PM
another joke, OH no! corvettecrazy Chat Lounge 0 01-10-2004 09:11 AM



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -7. It is currently 07:41 AM.


Powered By: vBulletin v3.9.2.1
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Advertise Content © 2001-2011 RCTech.net