Search
Like Tree52Likes

Team Losi JRXS Type-R

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2009, 08:31 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Pablo Diablo
I'm finishing them of as we speak. I will PM you today. Spool on carpet sounds interesting. Do you guy run traction compound or is that not allowed.
Unfortunately traction compound is not allowed at all. With a good base setup like Mike Hayne's spool on rubber/carpet and adjusting from there to suit my driving style and traction conditions, it is actually a tad quicker than running with a diff. The track is small (1x legal basketball court), and has a very technical section. The spool helps pull it out of the corners better, and allows me to dive into the corners a fair bit quicker than my last setup did.

I've been running for about 3 club meets on the new setup and am happy with it. Will be experimenting a little more though.

Didn't think it would work... but I am glad I tried it.

On another note.... anyone here uses Sweep24s on carpet? Tried it tonight, and I quite like it. Have used Sorex 20r and 24r prior, and it seems to 'polish' up after a few meets. The Sweep24s seem to stay a bit more consistent and they don't get that 'shine' on them at all. I'll give it a few more weeks, and see what happens. Will be trying the Absolutes 24s sometime to compare as well.
Old 08-12-2009, 09:17 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Dragonfire
I tend to find that incidents are more a result of bad driving than bad setup. That said accidents do happen.
QFT

My brother was doing some testing with flex and top decks and managed to shatter the lap record. Although this wasn't a losi it is getting me interested in gutting out my deck.
I have prepared a top deck but haven't had time to do some controlled practice and get the results. Tekin threw out the software update this week so my priorities are learning that first.
Old 08-12-2009, 01:44 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by jrxs-r
Unfortunately traction compound is not allowed at all. With a good base setup like Mike Hayne's spool on rubber/carpet and adjusting from there to suit my driving style and traction conditions, it is actually a tad quicker than running with a diff. The track is small (1x legal basketball court), and has a very technical section. The spool helps pull it out of the corners better, and allows me to dive into the corners a fair bit quicker than my last setup did.

I've been running for about 3 club meets on the new setup and am happy with it. Will be experimenting a little more though.

Didn't think it would work... but I am glad I tried it.

On another note.... anyone here uses Sweep24s on carpet? Tried it tonight, and I quite like it. Have used Sorex 20r and 24r prior, and it seems to 'polish' up after a few meets. The Sweep24s seem to stay a bit more consistent and they don't get that 'shine' on them at all. I'll give it a few more weeks, and see what happens. Will be trying the Absolutes 24s sometime to compare as well.
Unless the track is really tight a spool is always quicker with rubber tyres. I would use Sorex 28s they work really well and we adopted them as a control tyre as they worked so well. Anything softer seems to go off midway through the race. We used to use the Vtec 24s and these were ok but began to snatch and give grip roll as the grip came up so we had to keep glueing the outer edge of the fronts. Sweeps are ok ish but Sorex work alot better
Old 08-12-2009, 02:00 PM
Tech Master

Tim, how many weeks are you running the Sorex 28s on carpet before they slow down too much to be competitive?
Old 08-12-2009, 02:08 PM
Tech Addict

In 13.5 most people are getting 5 - 6 meetings at club level and in 10.5 about 4 maybe 5 depending on driving style. Most of us use 2 or 3 sets in a 12 meeting series as long as they dont get damaged. This is at club level though.
Old 08-12-2009, 06:15 PM
Tech Master

Tim, Thanks for the feedback. I've was getting slightly more than that with the Sorex 28s but running 17.5 at the club level. For a trophy meet I would expect to use a new set.
Old 08-13-2009, 06:13 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 73 (100%+)

A little tip when building type-r shocks, when I got my phi everyone told me to put the bladder in and push in the center with the back of an xacto before putting the cap on. I did this with my type-r bladders and it helped, I think its the first time I had that "vacuum" rebound where it would pull the shaft back in as well as rebound out.
Old 08-13-2009, 08:06 AM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by MikeXray
A little tip when building type-r shocks, when I got my phi everyone told me to put the bladder in and push in the center with the back of an xacto before putting the cap on. I did this with my type-r bladders and it helped, I think its the first time I had that "vacuum" rebound where it would pull the shaft back in as well as rebound out.
I tested this last weekend and could not pick the difference although it is a track that has that trait. Full rebound vs zero both produced 17.2 second laps with the same feel. Mayb I need to run more droop to see a difference.
Old 08-13-2009, 08:40 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 73 (100%+)

I tested this last weekend and could not pick the difference although it is a track that has that trait. Full rebound vs zero both produced 17.2 second laps with the same feel. Mayb I need to run more droop to see a difference.
I don't know if would be a performance thing yet, for me it just made me get 3/4 shocks right the first time vs 1/4
Old 08-13-2009, 11:28 PM
Tech Champion

I don't know if would be a performance thing yet, for me it just made me get 3/4 shocks right the first time vs 1/4
I'm thinking that the difference will be when you run enough droop to have "loose" springs at full droop. Currently I am only running 2mm all round as it is giving me fantastic brakes and throttle and a very neutral feel.
Old 08-14-2009, 06:28 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

I tried this method last night while building the shocks for my new rubber car for IIC. It works great and all the shocks appear to have even rebound. I applaud who ever came up with this idea for I struggled getting even rebounds when building shocks as well. I will remember this tip from now on.
Old 08-14-2009, 07:23 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

My spool made it yesterday. Awesome product! I'll get it in tonight or tomorrow. I like the set of stickers that came with it.
Old 08-14-2009, 09:23 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Anyone try a fantom battery in their rig yet?
Old 08-14-2009, 09:35 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 74 (100%+)

yes 5000,40c fit perfect
Old 08-14-2009, 09:58 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

Originally Posted by liljohn1064
Anyone try a fantom battery in their rig yet?
Fits like a glove, I run fantom stuff top of the heap same numbers as the thunder powers.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.