Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
Team Losi JRXS Type-R >

Team Losi JRXS Type-R

Like Tree17Likes

Team Losi JRXS Type-R

Old 08-12-2009, 08:31 AM
  #10186  
Tech Fanatic
iTrader: (11)
 
jrxs-r's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Perth, Western Australia
Posts: 831
Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by Pablo Diablo View Post
I'm finishing them of as we speak. I will PM you today. Spool on carpet sounds interesting. Do you guy run traction compound or is that not allowed.
Unfortunately traction compound is not allowed at all. With a good base setup like Mike Hayne's spool on rubber/carpet and adjusting from there to suit my driving style and traction conditions, it is actually a tad quicker than running with a diff. The track is small (1x legal basketball court), and has a very technical section. The spool helps pull it out of the corners better, and allows me to dive into the corners a fair bit quicker than my last setup did.

I've been running for about 3 club meets on the new setup and am happy with it. Will be experimenting a little more though.

Didn't think it would work... but I am glad I tried it.

On another note.... anyone here uses Sweep24s on carpet? Tried it tonight, and I quite like it. Have used Sorex 20r and 24r prior, and it seems to 'polish' up after a few meets. The Sweep24s seem to stay a bit more consistent and they don't get that 'shine' on them at all. I'll give it a few more weeks, and see what happens. Will be trying the Absolutes 24s sometime to compare as well.
jrxs-r is offline  
Old 08-12-2009, 09:17 AM
  #10187  
Tech Master
iTrader: (8)
 
jkirkwood's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 1,241
Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by Dragonfire View Post
I tend to find that incidents are more a result of bad driving than bad setup. That said accidents do happen.
QFT

Originally Posted by Dragonfire View Post
My brother was doing some testing with flex and top decks and managed to shatter the lap record. Although this wasn't a losi it is getting me interested in gutting out my deck.
I have prepared a top deck but haven't had time to do some controlled practice and get the results. Tekin threw out the software update this week so my priorities are learning that first.
jkirkwood is offline  
Old 08-12-2009, 01:44 PM
  #10188  
Tech Addict
iTrader: (1)
 
tim fry's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Kent UK
Posts: 578
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by jrxs-r View Post
Unfortunately traction compound is not allowed at all. With a good base setup like Mike Hayne's spool on rubber/carpet and adjusting from there to suit my driving style and traction conditions, it is actually a tad quicker than running with a diff. The track is small (1x legal basketball court), and has a very technical section. The spool helps pull it out of the corners better, and allows me to dive into the corners a fair bit quicker than my last setup did.

I've been running for about 3 club meets on the new setup and am happy with it. Will be experimenting a little more though.

Didn't think it would work... but I am glad I tried it.

On another note.... anyone here uses Sweep24s on carpet? Tried it tonight, and I quite like it. Have used Sorex 20r and 24r prior, and it seems to 'polish' up after a few meets. The Sweep24s seem to stay a bit more consistent and they don't get that 'shine' on them at all. I'll give it a few more weeks, and see what happens. Will be trying the Absolutes 24s sometime to compare as well.
Unless the track is really tight a spool is always quicker with rubber tyres. I would use Sorex 28s they work really well and we adopted them as a control tyre as they worked so well. Anything softer seems to go off midway through the race. We used to use the Vtec 24s and these were ok but began to snatch and give grip roll as the grip came up so we had to keep glueing the outer edge of the fronts. Sweeps are ok ish but Sorex work alot better
tim fry is offline  
Old 08-12-2009, 02:00 PM
  #10189  
Tech Master
iTrader: (8)
 
jkirkwood's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 1,241
Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)
Default

Tim, how many weeks are you running the Sorex 28s on carpet before they slow down too much to be competitive?
jkirkwood is offline  
Old 08-12-2009, 02:08 PM
  #10190  
Tech Addict
iTrader: (1)
 
tim fry's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Kent UK
Posts: 578
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default

In 13.5 most people are getting 5 - 6 meetings at club level and in 10.5 about 4 maybe 5 depending on driving style. Most of us use 2 or 3 sets in a 12 meeting series as long as they dont get damaged. This is at club level though.
tim fry is offline  
Old 08-12-2009, 06:15 PM
  #10191  
Tech Master
iTrader: (8)
 
jkirkwood's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 1,241
Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)
Default

Tim, Thanks for the feedback. I've was getting slightly more than that with the Sorex 28s but running 17.5 at the club level. For a trophy meet I would expect to use a new set.
jkirkwood is offline  
Old 08-13-2009, 06:13 AM
  #10192  
Tech Champion
iTrader: (73)
 
MikeXray's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: New York
Posts: 5,755
Trader Rating: 73 (100%+)
Default

A little tip when building type-r shocks, when I got my phi everyone told me to put the bladder in and push in the center with the back of an xacto before putting the cap on. I did this with my type-r bladders and it helped, I think its the first time I had that "vacuum" rebound where it would pull the shaft back in as well as rebound out.
MikeXray is offline  
Old 08-13-2009, 08:06 AM
  #10193  
Tech Champion
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Sydney, Australia
Posts: 5,310
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by MikeXray View Post
A little tip when building type-r shocks, when I got my phi everyone told me to put the bladder in and push in the center with the back of an xacto before putting the cap on. I did this with my type-r bladders and it helped, I think its the first time I had that "vacuum" rebound where it would pull the shaft back in as well as rebound out.
I tested this last weekend and could not pick the difference although it is a track that has that trait. Full rebound vs zero both produced 17.2 second laps with the same feel. Mayb I need to run more droop to see a difference.
Dragonfire is offline  
Old 08-13-2009, 08:40 AM
  #10194  
Tech Champion
iTrader: (73)
 
MikeXray's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: New York
Posts: 5,755
Trader Rating: 73 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by Dragonfire View Post
I tested this last weekend and could not pick the difference although it is a track that has that trait. Full rebound vs zero both produced 17.2 second laps with the same feel. Mayb I need to run more droop to see a difference.
I don't know if would be a performance thing yet, for me it just made me get 3/4 shocks right the first time vs 1/4
MikeXray is offline  
Old 08-13-2009, 11:28 PM
  #10195  
Tech Champion
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Sydney, Australia
Posts: 5,310
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by MikeXray View Post
I don't know if would be a performance thing yet, for me it just made me get 3/4 shocks right the first time vs 1/4
I'm thinking that the difference will be when you run enough droop to have "loose" springs at full droop. Currently I am only running 2mm all round as it is giving me fantastic brakes and throttle and a very neutral feel.
Dragonfire is offline  
Old 08-14-2009, 06:28 AM
  #10196  
Tech Elite
iTrader: (5)
 
Yeti35's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: SL, UT
Posts: 2,804
Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by MikeXray View Post
A little tip when building type-r shocks, when I got my phi everyone told me to put the bladder in and push in the center with the back of an xacto before putting the cap on. I did this with my type-r bladders and it helped, I think its the first time I had that "vacuum" rebound where it would pull the shaft back in as well as rebound out.
I tried this method last night while building the shocks for my new rubber car for IIC. It works great and all the shocks appear to have even rebound. I applaud who ever came up with this idea for I struggled getting even rebounds when building shocks as well. I will remember this tip from now on.
Yeti35 is offline  
Old 08-14-2009, 07:23 AM
  #10197  
Tech Champion
iTrader: (17)
 
liljohn1064's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Deerfield, WI
Posts: 5,909
Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)
Default

My spool made it yesterday. Awesome product! I'll get it in tonight or tomorrow. I like the set of stickers that came with it.
liljohn1064 is offline  
Old 08-14-2009, 09:23 AM
  #10198  
Tech Champion
iTrader: (17)
 
liljohn1064's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Deerfield, WI
Posts: 5,909
Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)
Default

Anyone try a fantom battery in their rig yet?
liljohn1064 is offline  
Old 08-14-2009, 09:35 AM
  #10199  
Tech Elite
iTrader: (72)
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Oklahoma
Posts: 2,064
Trader Rating: 72 (100%+)
Default

yes 5000,40c fit perfect
steve eaves is offline  
Old 08-14-2009, 09:58 AM
  #10200  
Tech Elite
iTrader: (32)
 
YmeBP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 2,927
Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by liljohn1064 View Post
Anyone try a fantom battery in their rig yet?
Fits like a glove, I run fantom stuff top of the heap same numbers as the thunder powers.
YmeBP is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.