R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 12-20-2008, 10:00 AM   #8131
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to xtrememadness

hey everyone. we just got 2 itf chassis at my hobby shop. i went to put one on my car and i noticed that i couldnt tighten my bulkheads. upon further inspection i found that the chassis is countersunk two deep and the countersunk part of the screw sticks above the chassis. both chassis are this way. has anyone else had this problem? maybe josh or rick can shed some light. are they just defective maybe? thanx alot
Old 12-20-2008, 01:11 PM   #8132
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by PartTime View Post
Your xray is fast enough. I think you should just stick to that.

DK

Yea, your the one that got me thinkin' that way ....... but I'll give it another chance this Tuesday.
jag88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2008, 03:40 PM   #8133
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Extrememadness
Do to the ITF chassis plates being a little thinner, the counter sunk screws will be exposed more.
All I did was take a counter sink tool and do the bulkheads slightly. That should fix your problem and it will NOT hurt the threaded portion at all.
Bob Oaks
bob o is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2008, 04:58 PM   #8134
Tech Fanatic

that will work but im wondering if the chassis is too thin in those areas now because this isnt a problem in the tc5r kits or are the bulkheads countersunk in the kits. im just wondering if there was a screw up on the chassis because they seem to be ok in the rubber car kits
Old 12-21-2008, 06:38 AM   #8135
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh H View Post
start with an 88 spur and a 40 or 41 pinion for the novak race.........hunt me down when you get there and we will get you figured out.
Went out and bought an 88 spur ... and tried the 41 ... and I couldn't get mesh. I would need a 5 tooth larger pinion. What did I do wrong?
Takt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2008, 07:05 AM   #8136
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jag88 View Post
Yea, your the one that got me thinkin' that way ....... but I'll give it another chance this Tuesday.
Cool, see you tue.

DK
PartTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2008, 07:07 AM   #8137
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Takt View Post
Went out and bought an 88 spur ... and tried the 41 ... and I couldn't get mesh. I would need a 5 tooth larger pinion. What did I do wrong?
That looks to be a mistake on my part.........A 98 spur and 46 pinion will definitly work
Josh Hohnstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2008, 07:16 AM   #8138
Tech Champion

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

I've been running a 94t spur in both 17.5 and 13.5 foam classes. I think a smaller spur is needed for 17.5 when using a pinion larger than 56t - you run out of space when tightening the motor.
FJ / ROAR #2-122945 / MaxRotation FPV Drone Racing / Shop@ Awesomatix USA / Wild Turbo Fan / Mon-Tech Racing / RocheRC USA / Side Piece /
LRP / John's BSR Tires / TeamEAM / TQ Wire / R1 / Team Scream / PCR / MIX
RacerLog wiki Awesomatix A700 / 2wd offroad 4 life
hanulec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2008, 09:51 AM   #8139
Tech Fanatic

has anyone else had the countersinking problem on the itf chassis. just wondering if i should send it back or modify the bulkheads. thanx
Old 12-21-2008, 01:13 PM   #8140
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by xtrememadness View Post
has anyone else had the countersinking problem on the itf chassis. just wondering if i should send it back or modify the bulkheads. thanx
Use a shorter screw. Mine is flush and perfect. No need to mod anything.
naggalowmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2008, 01:39 PM   #8141
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by xtrememadness View Post
hey everyone. we just got 2 itf chassis at my hobby shop. i went to put one on my car and i noticed that i couldnt tighten my bulkheads. upon further inspection i found that the chassis is countersunk two deep and the countersunk part of the screw sticks above the chassis. both chassis are this way. has anyone else had this problem? maybe josh or rick can shed some light. are they just defective maybe? thanx alot
The ITF Chassis is 2mm thick. When any company countersinks 2mm carbon they can choose to partially countersink and let all the screw heads stick out the bottom of the chassis or make them flush and have part of the scews taper pop out the top of the chassis and hit all the alloy parts. If they chose the latter you will need to get a countersink and relieve the bottom of all the alloy parts that screw to the chassis if the manufacturer has not done so already.
AdrianM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2008, 01:49 PM   #8142
Tech Master

Send a message via Yahoo to mr crum

hey guys im having trouble with breaking bone blades i know the ultimate way to quit from breaking them is to not hit stuff but im not that good so does anybody make a spool that doesnt take bone blades or should i run the slipper spool thanks in advance for the help
FL INDOOR R/C COMPLEX
TEAM B.R. RACING
mr crum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2008, 04:08 PM   #8143
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 42 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to islander360

Mr crum,

I recommend running the slipper spool.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr crum View Post
hey guys im having trouble with breaking bone blades i know the ultimate way to quit from breaking them is to not hit stuff but im not that good so does anybody make a spool that doesnt take bone blades or should i run the slipper spool thanks in advance for the help
Old 12-21-2008, 04:42 PM   #8144
Tech Fanatic

thanx adrian. i agree with you, but i just dont think you should have to do this modification. it should of been done by associated unless its a defect. i cant imagine associated expecting everyone with a rubber kit and itf chassis to have to counter sink a relief in the bulkheads. for example the tamiya 415msxx has a 2mm chassis and the screws fit flush and perfect so maybe they just need screws with a smaller countersunk shoulder?? i mean its no big deal for me cause i have access to a machine shop but alot of people might not or have the countersink bit. just my 2 cents.
Old 12-21-2008, 04:59 PM   #8145
Tech Master

Send a message via Yahoo to mr crum

Quote:
Originally Posted by islander360 View Post
Mr crum,

I recommend running the slipper spool.
thanks sherwin other than that ive been workin on getting smoother i kept breaking rear hubs but i moved the camber link to the whole further out on the wheel so the force is more up and down instead of the whole closest to the bulkhead thats where i had it when they kept breaking
FL INDOOR R/C COMPLEX
TEAM B.R. RACING
mr crum is offline   Reply With Quote