TLR 22 3.0 Race Kit Thread!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree26Likes

TLR 22 3.0 Race Kit Thread!

Hide Wikipost
Old 08-23-2016, 10:37 AM   -   Wikipost
R/C Tech ForumsThread Wiki: TLR 22 3.0 Race Kit Thread!
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been a member for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: Matt Trimmings
Cub86 posted the question: Hi. I'm struggling to understand the lay down situation. I run on high bite damp smooth clay and think the conversation would help on my surface but from what I'm reading I need to buy the lay down kit tlr338004. And the dirt gear case tlr332063. But do I really need both from what I've read the dirt case is 1-2mm higher anyway and u don't use the +3mm hubs or the front pivot hrc or Hrc mod. So is the dirt lay down kit tlr332063 is all that's needed to get me a lay down set up that's suited for clay With the components and car I already have. And if I only get the dirt case is there any problems that will need to be addressed IE.. bone plunge . I do know I'll need 1mm spacers on the waterfall to clear the battery. Thanks guys really trying to get my head around this.

Franks response:
Laydown Conversion will work great by itself. You run the aluminum +3mm hubs, the diff is +3.5mm, and you run the HRC front setup. Just follow a setup sheet from tlracing.com (Frank Root).

Dirt Tranny has the diff at the same height as the standard tranny case, and works with the standard plastic hubs. Both are +/- 0mm from stock. When you run this, no need to run the HRC front mod either.

I've found the stock laydown conversion parts to work great for most tracks. The dirt tranny is a great tuning option, but definitely not 'required'.

K.King
Something I made, pretty basic. Just to give people an idea.

Print Wikipost

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2016, 05:39 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 76 (100%+)

Mine really isn't that loud. But I only have about 8 packs threw it so far. I'm not getting the steering or corner speed out of mine so far thou. It's kind of weird, it's kind of loose and doesn't have the steering that I had when running stand up. I know it's all in the setup, but any suggestions? Setup now is front shocks associated white spring, 1.6 piston, 32.5 oil. Rear low frequency white spring 1.7 piston 30 oil. Standard plastic rear hubs middle hole 2mm washer. 3.5 degrees rear toe. Rear hubs spacing is middle. Middle hole on tower and middle rear arm for shocks. Front end is basically stock.
Old 10-24-2016, 06:43 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by GasserX
whats the best way to reduce dirt laydown transmission noise? I have used the black grease on the gears and it didn't help much. Is my case screwed together too tight?
If you're racing mod don't be stingy with the black grease. Wouldn't hurt to check/clean motor bearings.
Old 10-25-2016, 09:08 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 23 (100%+)

Originally Posted by tony montana
Mine really isn't that loud. But I only have about 8 packs threw it so far. I'm not getting the steering or corner speed out of mine so far thou. It's kind of weird, it's kind of loose and doesn't have the steering that I had when running stand up. I know it's all in the setup, but any suggestions? Setup now is front shocks associated white spring, 1.6 piston, 32.5 oil. Rear low frequency white spring 1.7 piston 30 oil. Standard plastic rear hubs middle hole 2mm washer. 3.5 degrees rear toe. Rear hubs spacing is middle. Middle hole on tower and middle rear arm for shocks. Front end is basically stock.
Have someone watch the car when you drive, when I first tried the dirt laydown the front end seemed to dump to the outside wheel in the middle of the corner and I would lose steering. After I put on a stiffer front spring that feeling went away.
Old 10-25-2016, 12:40 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 120 (100%+)

I'm going to be building a 22 3.0 with a laydown for 17.5 racing. Any recommendations on option parts to put on right away while building?? Also any good setups available for 17.5 on med to high bite clay track??

Last edited by Potoczak; 10-25-2016 at 01:17 PM.
Old 10-25-2016, 07:17 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by Potoczak
I'm going to be building a 22 3.0 with a laydown for 17.5 racing. Any recommendations on option parts to put on right away while building?? Also any good setups available for 17.5 on med to high bite clay track??
I would go with pucks and maybe some cut gears!
Old 10-25-2016, 08:40 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 47 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Potoczak
TLR lockout shaft.
Old 10-26-2016, 02:50 AM
Tech Initiate

Default Dirt laydown

Hi guys. Just ordered the tlr laydown and dirt case I run mod 8.5t on wet high high bite clay and super soft slicks. Can anyone give me any tips for set ups or goodies needed?
Old 10-26-2016, 11:06 AM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by Cub86
Hi guys. Just ordered the tlr laydown and dirt case I run mod 8.5t on wet high high bite clay and super soft slicks. Can anyone give me any tips for set ups or goodies needed?
Depending on driving style, Dakota or Maifields setups from nats are both good setups. Both setups run brass C blocks so I would recommend that, but other than that you are pretty much good to go.
Old 10-26-2016, 11:17 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

electrickid, what are the brass c blocks?
Old 10-26-2016, 11:57 AM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by GasserX
electrickid, what are the brass c blocks?
Here you go, this is the TLR one, exotek makes one too. Little more weight behind the battery but in front of the diff.
http://www.horizonhobby.com/product/...30-p-tlr334035
Old 10-26-2016, 08:08 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Got a few questions... seems my steering is sluggish at times any way to maybe make it a bit quicker? Also it seems when I go to get on the power the backend wants to come around pretty easily. I am running the standup on a clay track that gets dusty pretty bad at times. Any suggestions would be great. I lean toward the pressure points from jconcepts for rear tires. I am not getting the consistency that I got out of them last year on the same track. I am running 17.5 blinky.
Thanks for any help.
Old 10-26-2016, 10:58 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by klowne
Got a few questions... seems my steering is sluggish at times any way to maybe make it a bit quicker? Also it seems when I go to get on the power the backend wants to come around pretty easily. I am running the standup on a clay track that gets dusty pretty bad at times. Any suggestions would be great. I lean toward the pressure points from jconcepts for rear tires. I am not getting the consistency that I got out of them last year on the same track. I am running 17.5 blinky.
Thanks for any help.
Try lowering your rear roll centre by moving the rear camber block up using the supplied inserts.

Make sure your rear camber is no more than -1.5

Maybe do a shock rebuild. They may have taken on a little air

Space rear hubs forward 1 or 2mm

Also try 3.5 rear toe.

These will all help for rear traction.

If your still looking for more traction definently try the 4gear.

As for steering. I put my front shock in the inner hole on the tower and added 1mm of shims under inner ball stud to lower front roll centre. If I ever need more steering I just change the weight bias of the car.
Old 10-27-2016, 02:12 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

I just installed the 30g losi brass hinge pin and 9g exotec lrc on rear. Up front losi aluminium pivot plate, brass 25 degree kick plate and aluminium front camber block. Also running 4 gear stand up and 10.5t motor. Car handles awesome on loose and medium & high traction dirt/clay. Well worth the upgrades.
I have a b6d, xb4 and sworks 104 evo and this is my fav car to drive!

Originally Posted by Dog Runner
In the setups with the weighted hinge pin brace, is the better option the 24g Exotek option (this one: https://www.amainhobbies.com/exotek-...xo1651/p498369) or the TLR one that appears to be 30g (this one: http://www.tlracing.com/Products/Def...odID=TLR334035)

I'm assuming these are the same thing and just different weight? Or are they different parts altogether?

Any use for the rear/rear brace for another 9g? (this one: https://www.amainhobbies.com/exotek-...xo1654/p505837)
Old 10-27-2016, 06:50 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Thanks Chris I will give that a try to see how it does this weekend.
Old 10-27-2016, 10:23 AM
TLRacing

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)

Originally Posted by klowne
Thanks for any help.
One thing - Pressure Points for 2wd are not the right tire for your track. You might need to just run or test some low tread dirt webs, or another type of tire. The PP's haven't been the best tire at any track I've seen or heard of, so this is probably some of the issue.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.