Wiki Posts
Search

Anyone interested in 1/8 on road in AZ?

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2005, 03:26 PM
Tech Regular

Default LOL !!!!

Originally Posted by sfelish
Just scrolled up further and saw Scotts comment about "his fans"... no bleachers are needed... one orange crate should be sufficient!

ROFL !!!!!

WHY ORANGE ???? LOL !!!

Last edited by JABRONI; 10-28-2005 at 03:27 PM. Reason: ???
Old 10-31-2005, 05:12 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 8 (91%+)
Default 1/8

sorry i didn't make it out on friday night. had an emergency come up. let me know if anyone will be there this friday.
Old 11-02-2005, 04:27 PM
Tech Master

Default 1/8

Any of you guys still interested? By the way, I'm getting ready for Regionals next weekend. Anyone else going?
Old 11-02-2005, 04:47 PM
Tech Addict

we're still interested. Just stop by at SRS any friday night; we're 95% always there

Regionals? Not me, maybe Brad & Bill
Old 11-02-2005, 05:41 PM
Tech Master

Default 1/8

Alright sounds good. Can someone give me directions to SRS? Haven't been there yet. Thanks.
Old 11-03-2005, 12:31 PM
Tech Addict

Default map

SRS is inside the 777 Plaza at the Northeast Part of Scottsdale Rd and Thomas Rd (Scottsdale Rd is just 2 miles west of loop 101). Look up the map at SRS website:
SRS
Attached Thumbnails Anyone interested in 1/8 on road in AZ?-srs_map.jpg  
Old 11-10-2005, 06:30 PM
Tech Master

Default 1/8

Alright, so here is the latest. I spoke with Dawn Sanchez who is the ROAR promotions director we've got the ball rolling on the idea. She is going to do some research on facilities and get back to me with what she finds out. She sounds like she wants to get this going for us so we don't have to travel out of state just to race.
Old 11-14-2005, 01:32 PM
Tech Master

Default 1/8

So any of you guys still interested?
Old 11-21-2005, 05:53 AM
Tech Master

up
Old 11-25-2005, 08:18 PM
Tech Regular

Once again let me put my two cents in!

Getting a place to run on road is not hard to find. I have setup on road tracks (obviously temporary) at shopping malls, school parking lots, business parking lots etc. A permanent location will take a lot more hunting or someone with big bucks!

Do we need a track here yes we do. Is there someone here to commit to the actual work of a club, a track setup every week, and other work that is needed, well I haven't seen that yet. There are alot of people that will come and run on the track, but what about the putting up and the tearing down of the track..... ahhhhh not is all so easy say Masta ( lol)

Then there is the materials..... start with a club and get everyone to kick a $100 up front and if you get 15 to 20 guys to do so you are least on your way. You can work on the timing system later.Or how about the people who are in business in this town called LHS's.... get each one of them to kick in $200 to help increase their businesses. Have fun with that... if they realized that we would have an on road track already.

My concept has always been to have an on road track good for nitro and electric up to the 1/8th scale. However with the focus on developing new hobbyist. I was at SRS about three weeks ago and saw some poor guy that knew nothing about his car, hit every wall and couldn't make it down the straightaway. The person running the races, seems to be an okay guy, never got off his a__ to help this beginner. That will increase business!... plus he is put in the ring with guys that are experienced , especially at this particular track, that were so interested in helping him .... he actually left and no one knew he did.... what are the odds of him telling other beginners to come and race on road. I am not pointing fingers at the people that race there.... they came to race and that is good.... my point is this..........

1.) Develope a club with the thought in mind to have a facility for good on road racing of all scales nitro and electric.

2.) The club's main focus is to bring in new hobbyist and make sure they have a beginner's class and that regular experience racers at the race are assigned to help this beginner..... ( If he/she gets help, learns how to drive, is not intimidated on the track..... will he/she bring someone else the following week???!!!) Think about number two..... this is the most important to the life of on road racing and a club in Phoenix.

3.) Get a group of people that want to take the responsibility of officier duties for the club and overseeing the track gets up and torn every week. Let me tell you... if it's the same guys every week doing this, the club will have a short life span.

4.) And as mentioned... figure out where the money is coming from.... as they say .... talk is cheap.... let me tell you .... tracks are not!!!

You can agree with me or disagree with me on what I have said. I have owned my own businesses for 30 years. As mentioned before, I was the original 5 memberes of the Rams club... started one in Lousiana ( my pocket book), so I know the work, the dedication, and the money it takes. It is a shame I believe that those whose business counts on the growth of this most popular hobby in the world (LHS) don't do a thing to help!

I would be happy to help in anyway I can.... time.... yes money.... locations ( of which I know some that would work ).... but there has to be more dedicated people that just don't want to go and run on a track this weekend...but want to help this sport grow.... and then run on the track....

Are you out there????????????????????????????????????????????? ??????

Sam
Old 11-26-2005, 05:36 AM
Tech Initiate

Hi Sam,

I would agree with you on most everything.

The money is really not the issue. It's out there and can be gotten.

The real issue is "bodies"

Getting at least 20 guys to show up and race each race day is
always difficult as most won't stay to tear is down.

I honestly would be more interested in a 1/10th scale Sedan gas
racing track as it would be less expensive for most of the racers
and usually invites new racers to get involved as the cars are not as intimidating.

In years past, setting up a points schedule as a championship format
for the season can be a good incentive to start.

I would be very open to starting a local area on-road racing club here
in Phoenix, Chandler, Tempe, Mesa Scottsdale or where ever else
a good slab of asphalt is to be found.

Please contact me if you would like to get something organized. I've
been at this game for a long time...

Stew Keene
480-220-7491
Old 11-26-2005, 12:05 PM
Tech Regular

Stew,

Thanks for the reply and I will be in contact with you. I mentioned money because I was at SRS one night and listened to many guys talk about used lumber and etc and believed everything was cheap.However they never figured in a stand that incorporates a trailer, a stand built on that trailer, the storage of that trailer, the wood needed for a track, the painting of the wood and YES, guys to build and tear down the track each week. I have built tracks and 6 years ago did one ( a good one) and cost me close to 15k. It can be done a lot cheaper.... however to get people to come out each week you need a good setup.

The area is in need and deserves a good race track. I like the 1/10th and as you mentioned this is where the numbers are and the beginners come in and then move up as time goes by. I sell a 1/10th shaft driven car that cost Less than $249.99. A great car for beginners to run in parking lots and then with a few changes for the track. I love getting people into this sport and watch them grow. I race 1/8th scale, but realize the 1/10th scale is where the numbers are at.

The numbers you mentioned of loyal none premadonnas that will help the club grow and do the work necessary weekly to have races will be hard to come by in this area as well as any other area. Ask Rich at 4 aces in vegas, that's how he became the owner, the club folded because not enough people would do the work.... and that is a permanent track! This is why I have thought of building a track here in the area but not sure if people are ready to pay for racing and pay for practice days. However, wanna play as they say you must pay!

However not to continue on my soap box.... I wish to get a track here in the area... I will help in anyway if we wish to start a club.... so I will contact you or you can feel free to contact me at 480-597-2560.

Thanks Stew, a pleasure to here from someone truly interested in a track.

Sam
Old 11-26-2005, 12:38 PM
Tech Initiate

Talking

Sam... I tried to call the phone number you listed but I can not reach you

480-597-2560??? Call can not be completed as dialed

I tried it with and without the area code.

Call me at 480-471-7015 on my home line....
Old 11-27-2005, 09:27 AM
Tech Regular

opps.... too much turkey! 480-567-2560... sorry Stew!
Old 11-29-2005, 03:00 PM
Tech Master

Well I'd have to say I agree with everything said. I really don't think money is a big factor as that can be gotten in many different ways. The largest problem we're going to run into is getting guys to actually make a commitment to the club and the track. I've been doing this for about 12 years now and I've seen what happens when its the same few guys doing the work every race day. People are not happy and don't get along. But on the other hand, when it all does come together and you've got around 20 guys helping and doing everything as a group you get a lot more enjoyment out of everything.

I am willing to commit any time and help that I possibly can to get this going because I know how much fun it was when I first started racing and its just gotten better as the years have gone by. I think the biggest thing myself or anyone else can do to help this sport is promote the hell out of it! If we're not just out there racing but helping the new-comers learn and enjoy what there doing then it will grow and become a better experience for all.

If there truly is more people out there that are willing to make a commitment to getting this going then please, speak up and say so! I know your out there!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.