Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The Hill Camp Courtney RC Park Okinawa Japan

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2010, 01:55 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

After all the rain the track held up well! How much rain? over 6" in about six hours. We lost some of the top dirt so there's a lot of rocks showing on both tracks.

The 1/10 track has a few more puddles than the 1/8. Drainage mods were done to both tracks.

I'm thinking the 1/8 track is much better for Short Course Trucks than buggies and truggies. So we should ONLY drive those there and build a bigger track for the 1/8 scale.

Had too many dumb a$$ issues with the buggy, fixing those today at work
Old 02-15-2010, 04:11 PM
Tech Regular

The Slash did well on the 1/8th track, made the double really nice........until it got weighted down by mud.

If we need more dirt for the track, I have a bunch on my back deck!!

Last edited by bando711; 02-15-2010 at 05:24 PM.
Old 02-15-2010, 07:14 PM
Tech Rookie

Default Electric ?

Hi, first want to say excellent job on the track. About to purchase four electric rc's. Have a question about what does the s mean in reference to the lipos(2s/3s)? Also what is a good charger for nimh/lipos? Plan on buying 10th crawlers and 16th revos. Haven't ran electric for 25yrs or so. Big nitro fan though. Thanks
Old 02-15-2010, 07:33 PM
Tech Regular

This will give you the basics of Lipo's, find a forum that has threads for the cars you are getting, find out what batteries will fit and which ones are working best.

Tech Article - What you should know about LiPo Batteries

I was surfing the web when I found this post from Donald Natale who’s working as senior customer, OEM and dealer support technician for Team Associated. I contacted Donald to ask him if I can publish his post on MyRCBox.com and he accepted. So, here’s an extremly interesting article concerning what you should know about all LiPo battery packs. Thanks Don.

What everyone should know about the Use and Care of Lithium Polymer (Lipo) batteries?What size of voltage battery should I use, 7.4 volts, 11.1 volts or 14.8 and higher? You should check your ESC’s allowed voltage input. From the specifications in the supplied manual that you received when you purchased your speed control.
What is 12C, 15C, 20C mean? “C” rating is the amp draw of the battery, it relates to discharge limits of the Lipo battery. That means they are capable of taking higher discharge loads.
What is the difference between two cells or three cells? Running a 3-cell Lipo battery will give you the relative equivalent voltage if you were to run 9 to 10 NiMh or NiCad type cells. Be sure that your speed control is capable of running this higher voltage or damage may occur if used. Electric motors are capable of running different amounts of voltage. However, more voltage can and most likely will make more heat in the motor. You will get much higher speeds, but you are starting to push the limits of the motors.
It is important that you pay attention to gearing; incorrect gearing with prolong runs from high capacity batteries can results in excessive heat. So if you are not careful your battery could overheat causing it to swell and possibly catch on fire or explode, thus overheating the esc itself and damaging it and or overheating the motor as well. These things are not strictly limited to three cells Lipos.
What do the numbers on the battery mean in size? That is the capacity of the battery, and the higher the milli amps/capacity (1250’s, 2000’s, and 2850’s) the more run time the battery will have. A 2S2P will be say 2000 mill amps…That means there are two cells in series (to get the 7.4 volts) and two in parallel to get more capacity. Adding another cell in P will be 2S3P and would raise the capacity from 7.4v to 11.1v and up as you add more cells.
I see batteries on the market and some say TX or RX even though they may have the same specifications. TX =(Transmitter)and RX=(Receiver) had different sizes and mah batteries, Typically an RX 2-cell is (7.4 volts) and TX is (11.1 volts)…NEVER plug 11.1volt battery into your RX. Depending on your receiver, in some cases you need to run a current limiter with your RX when using higher voltage battery, a typical RX has a 6.0 volt) maximum.

Do I need to balance my Lipo batteries? Your Lipo battery pack will have either a balancing port or a connector, and you should either purchase an optional balancer like the (Astro Blinky) and/or a charger that is has the capability of balancing Lipo batteries. If the battery goes out of balance (or match), they have higher chances of failure since the packs are sensitive to overcharging and discharging. NOTE: many people who have lipo’s that they do not use a balancer claim it takes too much extra time and is not worth the trouble, that is not the true!
A balancer keeps the voltage in your cells equal, which helps to keep the battery from over discharging or overcharging. This is very important especially when charging, overcharging a cell causes it to spontaneously swell and possibly explode. A balancer will remove this risk factor however, as with anything Lipo, human error is the most common cause for Lipos exploding. So take caution and read the manufacture instructions before charging.
A voltage limiter, is this needed in Lipo applications? The limiter is actually a voltage cut-off specific to Lipos to use with older speed controls that are not Lipo compatible and receivers when using Lipo receiver batteries. It is to prevent the battery from being discharged to low during use, (which will make the pack unusable), the cutoff is usually around 6.25v or 3.0 volts per cell. Once a Lipo discharges below 3.0 volts per cell, there is less chance that you will get it to recharge again.

Do 3-cells take more time to maintain? That would be False! It does not take more time it takes more care! The maintenance is the same for any Lipo batteries, but common sense is your greatest tool. Unfortunately, people who do not take care and follow the rules set by the battery manufacture, are to blame for Lipo related disasters due to incompetence. Example, running their motors until its 80 degrees centigrade, overheating batteries, overcharging with the incorrect charger settings and over discharging the battery…These can be the causes of a battery treated improperly.

Lithium Polymer Safety Tips:
Lithium Polymer cells are a tremendous advance in battery technology for RC use. However, due to the chemistry of lithium cells, there is a possibility of fire if charging is not done properly! It is unavoidable due to the nature of lithium itself. This is no different from many things we use in daily life - knives, kitchen cleaners, automobiles, for a few examples - which are inherently dangerous, but which can be used safely by adhering to simple rules and precautions.
  • Be absolutely sure that the Lithium Polymer charger settings are correct for the battery pack being charged - both voltage and current settings
  • Lithium Polymer must be CHARGED and STORED in a fire-safe container like a Lipo Sack
  • Do not charge batteries near flammable items or liquids
  • Keep a dry fire extinguisher nearby - or a large bucket of dry sand, which is a cheap and effective extinguisher
  • Never charge inside an automobile even when parked
  • Batteries should NEVER be left unattended while charging
  • KEEP BATTERIES AWAY from children and pets at ALL times
Old 02-15-2010, 07:41 PM
Tech Master

Lipo defined:

S=internal connection series 1S=3.7Volts 2S=7.4V 3S=11.1V 4S=14.8V
P=internal connection parallel to add capacity (mah) 2S1P is normal=2 cells in parallel, voltage adds up, 2S2P would still mean 7.4V, but with 4 actual cells inside 2 to add up voltage, and 2 to add up capacity
C=discharge rate measured in Amps, not standarized, so some "rate" theirs in theory, not practice. A 20C 5000mah battery will discharge at a max rate 100Amps. Depends on the ESC/motor demand. The C # times the amp capacity will give you discharge rate.

A great charger is the AC6

http://www.hobbypartz.com/thac6smbachw.html
Old 02-15-2010, 09:39 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Crazy8
Hi, first want to say excellent job on the track. About to purchase four electric rc's. Have a question about what does the s mean in reference to the lipos(2s/3s)? Also what is a good charger for nimh/lipos? Plan on buying 10th crawlers and 16th revos. Haven't ran electric for 25yrs or so. Big nitro fan though. Thanks
What makes you want to buy the 1/16th Revos? Just a random curiosity.
I have only seen one run one time and it was at the Courtney track. It looked like a fun basher but not as much fun for the track. Seemed to spend more time on its shell than on its tires.
Old 02-15-2010, 09:54 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Murdadock
I have only seen one run one time and it was at the Courtney track. It looked like a fun basher but not as much fun for the track. Seemed to spend more time on its shell than on its tires.
Like you know anything Axlenut!
Old 02-15-2010, 10:05 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by YDBD
Like you know anything Axlenut!
Jon, shhhh.......remember what we talked about, he is challenged.
Old 02-15-2010, 10:18 PM
Tech Adept

Dicks.......
Paulie, please post something.
Old 02-16-2010, 01:07 AM
Tech Addict

Dicks.......
Paulie, please post something.
I have 2 chargers for sale, with 2 external Lipo balancers...does that count as a post?

They are DC though...

- Paulie
Old 02-16-2010, 05:36 AM
Tech Rookie

I think we have seen the same kid run his 16th Revo. It did spend alot lot of time on the wrong side. I plan on buying a pair for my boy and I. We have a baja5 and just got rid of his mgt grave digger. We have ran 8 th for a few years. We just ordered a pair of 10th crawlers and now want to try out the brushless seen. We both limes the looks of the 16th revo and think it would do good on that awesome 10th track and maybe the 8th as well. Did some homework and plan on running 2S 2200 lipos parallel in it. If we like these we may upgrade to the 10th revo or maybe a couple of e8ights by losi. If the nitro was not so sketchy and pricey we would go thAt route.

Thanks for the help guys. See you at "The Hill".
Old 02-16-2010, 06:50 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by Crazy8
I think we have seen the same kid run his 16th Revo. It did spend alot lot of time on the wrong side. I plan on buying a pair for my boy and I. We have a baja5 and just got rid of his mgt grave digger. We have ran 8 th for a few years. We just ordered a pair of 10th crawlers and now want to try out the brushless seen. We both limes the looks of the 16th revo and think it would do good on that awesome 10th track and maybe the 8th as well. Did some homework and plan on running 2S 2200 lipos parallel in it. If we like these we may upgrade to the 10th revo or maybe a couple of e8ights by losi. If the nitro was not so sketchy and pricey we would go thAt route.

Thanks for the help guys. See you at "The Hill".
mmmm, Losi 8ights. The new Losi Ten-T is the hotness. Only if it was electric.
I have really been eyeing the Truggies lately. Really like their performance
Old 02-17-2010, 12:39 AM
Tech Addict

Uhh, r-i-g-h-t...

This rain is turning out to be an expensive proposition...why you ask?

Since I'm not out actually using my R/C gear, I go onlline and just order more stuff - stuff I don't really need, but stuff I want.

I actually just sent back 8 items to A Main because I bought them in duplicate! That's how bad it's getting.

I actually think Christmas is coming next week...have a whole host of goodies coming...

- Paulie
Old 02-17-2010, 01:55 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by pgeldz
Uhh, r-i-g-h-t...

Since I'm not out actually using my R/C gear, I go onlline and just order more stuff - stuff I don't really need, but stuff I want.

I actually just sent back 8 items to A Main because I bought them in duplicate! That's how bad it's getting.

I actually think Christmas is coming next week...have a whole host of goodies coming...

- Paulie
Go drive mini-z, they just made the course larger(incorporated little drift area). 13 second laps now.
Old 02-17-2010, 01:58 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by pgeldz
Uhh, r-i-g-h-t...

- Paulie
Your funny guy. Totally know where your coming from though. The only thing that is keeping me from buying too much is I am picking up that Caster soon. I want to buy the stuff that I need for that though. So far the only thing I can think of is just more LiPos. If you have any suggestions of "must haves" for it. let me know. Right now, I just want to get it and run it to see what I think it needs. Think I am gonna pick up about 6 more lipos in the next month or so.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.