Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > North American Regional Forums > Texas Racing
Gulf Coast RC Track Racers, Porter Texas (Houston) >

Gulf Coast RC Track Racers, Porter Texas (Houston)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Gulf Coast RC Track Racers, Porter Texas (Houston)

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2006, 02:49 AM
PD2
Tech Master

Originally Posted by josh69162
So electric hasn't been showing up lately? That sucks. Where was Robert and Andrew and Eric and everybody been? So are they definately building an offroad track in that open lot past the end of the back straight?
-Josh
Hey Josh! How's it going bro?!?

I know it sucks about electric onroad.....I have been slammed and my TC rebuild has taken a back-burner until I can get my weekends to settle down. Otherwise I'd be out there to run electric too.

I know that Robert has gotten out and is or has sold everything. Eric I'm not sure of, but he still post here and there, but have not seen him since our charity race event.

As far as the offroad track, yes, that is what we are hearing. And supposedly it will be a covered offroad track too. Ought to be interesting.....

Hope all is going good bro!
PD2
Old 06-15-2006, 03:36 AM
Tech Adept

Electric

Robert has gone to University, I think. I bought his transponder off him and Roger bought his radio. Yes off road is well under way
Nick
Old 06-16-2006, 06:08 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by PD2
Hey Josh! How's it going bro?!?

I know it sucks about electric onroad.....I have been slammed and my TC rebuild has taken a back-burner until I can get my weekends to settle down. Otherwise I'd be out there to run electric too.

I know that Robert has gotten out and is or has sold everything. Eric I'm not sure of, but he still post here and there, but have not seen him since our charity race event.

As far as the offroad track, yes, that is what we are hearing. And supposedly it will be a covered offroad track too. Ought to be interesting.....

Hope all is going good bro!
PD2
Eh..... not quite. I was following my friend to his house, he was going insane in the neighborhoods (i.e., going 60, making sharp, hairsplitting turns), and I fell behind, I tried to catch up and ended up hopping a curb. I popped both front tires, and bent the right suspension. Never thought I'd do that on a 1/1 car. Soooooo... I was grounded from driving until I paid off $2031 in car damages. Theeeen on the way to school some idiotic girl pulled in front of my out of nowhere, she hit me (this was a week after two tickets, one for failure to use my turn signal, and "driving on the wrong side of the road, when I was in the middle of the street in a neighborhood), and totaled my car. So since my parents feel I have been excessively unlucky and idiotic, I can't drive by myself for a year. So that's where I've been. And work has owned me. But I have two on-topic questions.
1) What car are you running now?
2) Where is Mike's getting all this cashflow for these extra facilities? There's no way they're making all that on parts and kit sales...
Old 06-17-2006, 04:31 AM
PD2
Tech Master

Originally Posted by josh69162
But I have two on-topic questions.
1) What car are you running now?
2) Where is Mike's getting all this cashflow for these extra facilities? There's no way they're making all that on parts and kit sales...
Right now, I have a Tamiya TRF415MS that's in parts and pieces and needs to some TLC and reassembly. Just a matter of getting the undivided attention and time right now.

Where is Mike's getting all this cashflow? IDK, but I can tell you this.....if you have ever noticed the other small businesses around the R/C shop when you pull in......Mike owns those, so that may explain a lot! Aside from that, I believe (may be wrong here) he owns and does not lease the property he is building these things on. If that property is paid off, then all he has is cashflow from any of those small business, including the parts and kits and practice fees and race fees and concession stand items he sells. So it is quite feasible that the man not only has the cash flow for these extra facilities, but the cash flow for them to sit there and be idle and not require an income to cover all major expenses. Kind of a sweet deal, if you ask me! Definitely would be the way I'd do it if I had the money to run a facility like that.

PD2
Old 06-19-2006, 07:06 PM
Tech Initiate

What kind of tires u guy's run foams or rubbers ?

And what brands of tires ? Which ones works best ?

And how hot does the track get ?

Thx Speed .
Old 06-19-2006, 08:10 PM
PD2
Tech Master

Originally Posted by SPEED RACER
What kind of tires u guy's run foams or rubbers ?

And what brands of tires ? Which ones works best ?

And how hot does the track get ?

Thx Speed .
Hi Speed Racer!

For the electric guys, they use rubber tires - the nitro guys are using foams.

Brand wise we have run everthing from Sorex to Tamiya to Take-Offs. The shop stocks Sorex premounts which I have used with much success. On a cool day, the CS-27's do great and hook up almost without having to put sauce on them. The Sorex 36R's and CS-32's are good for when things heat up. If you get out early in the morning, the track will be cool due to the shade from the neighboring trees. But by mid day, the track starts taking on a lot more sun. I'm not sure of the temp on the track - of course it all depends on when you are running; early, mid day or late.

Hope that helps you some.

PD2
Old 06-20-2006, 12:38 PM
Tech Initiate

Cool

PD2 , that was very informative and helps alot. I can get the cs-27 and the cs-32 type . So I'll start there !
I'm going to write this down in my little book !!!!!

THANK'S for your help !

speed !
Old 06-21-2006, 02:50 AM
PD2
Tech Master

Originally Posted by SPEED RACER
PD2 , that was very informative and helps alot. I can get the cs-27 and the cs-32 type . So I'll start there !
I'm going to write this down in my little book !!!!!

THANK'S for your help !

speed !
You are very welcome! Can't say when I'll be able to make it out to the track, but if you start going out there regularly I'm sure I'm bound to meet you sooner or later.

Have fun at Mike's! Best little on-road secret in Houston!

PD2
Old 06-26-2006, 06:35 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

Here is a pic from today. The indoor off-road track is making great progress. The roof is finished. Carpet track will be high on the near side, covered by blue tarp at present. Clay has arrived. You need to scroll the pic left to see it all.

John
Attached Thumbnails Gulf Coast RC Track Racers, Porter Texas (Houston)-indoor-off-road-track-001-cropped.jpg  

Last edited by John Stranahan; 06-26-2006 at 06:46 PM.
Old 06-27-2006, 02:33 AM
PD2
Tech Master

Originally Posted by John Stranahan
Here is a pic from today. The indoor off-road track is making great progress. The roof is finished. Carpet track will be high on the near side, covered by blue tarp at present. Clay has arrived. You need to scroll the pic left to see it all.

John
Nice pics John! Just so we are clear, the indoor carpet track is to be on the second story of the blue tarp covered area, right? Any idea of how big that area will be - at least the largest track size? From what I've heard it may not be able to handle anything over 1/12th scale - is that correct? Just wondering.

NICE looking offroad track cover for sure!

Thanks for the pics and info!
PD2
Old 06-27-2006, 08:37 AM
Tech Elite

PD2-Correct. Carpet track on second floor. About 75 ft by 24 ft space. Seems to be about right for 1/12 scale. I have not checked on this.
(picture on my previous post)
John
Old 06-27-2006, 06:34 PM
PD2
Tech Master

Originally Posted by John Stranahan
PD2-Correct. Carpet track on second floor. About 75 ft by 24 ft space. Seems to be about right for 1/12 scale. I have not checked on this.
(picture on my previous post)
John
Thanks John! Ought to be interesting. One stop racing place!

PD2
Old 07-09-2006, 11:32 AM
Tech Adept

Hope it is OK to post this here. I have a near new FT TC4 for sale. I purchased it thinking I would have time to race at Mike's. This has not been the case. Here is a link to the description: FS: FT TC4 . I could even deliver to the track one weekend if need be if you are serious about purchasing.

Sold

Last edited by frog racing; 09-04-2006 at 01:43 PM. Reason: Item has been sold
Old 07-12-2006, 12:03 PM
Wap
Tech Adept

Hey guys where is this new track?
Old 07-12-2006, 08:15 PM
Tech Elite

http://www.mikes-hobbyshop.com/

This is the main page with a link to a Map. There is also a link to the Gulfcoast RC Race Track Web Page that has photos of the on-road track. The off-road track and carpet track are being built on the same site. There is a picture just above in the thread.

Just North of Houston East of HWY 59 1/2 block, 5 miles south of K&M Track

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.